Help?? - Unicycle hubs and Cranks

Hey,

I’m new to the website so i don’t know how this works…

I’m thinking of building a 24" Municycle but am on limited budget… I’ve been on Unicycle.uk.com and was looking for spare parts. What i really want to do is get a cheap frame but splash out on some of the other parts. So far I’ve chosen to get a cheap club frame for about £20. A duro wildlife tyre for £30. Odyssey twisted pc’s for £8.50. A saddle and seat post and a few parts off my existing unicycle…

What I really need help with is picking a hub and some cranks…??

Any ideas would be really appreciated but i am on a budget…

Thanks,

Choomii

Be careful of the measurements. Those Club frames are for freestyle unis which tend to be narrow. ISIS hubs have 42mm bearings that won’t fit that frame, and I don’t know if a wide muni tire will fit either.

The 24" Nimbus muni frame would work, but it’s a lot more expensive. For some reason, the 26" Nimbus muni frame is cheaper.

Thanks… Yup nimbus frame = better…

Thanks aaron! Umm… I would probably want a wide muni tyres for it. :(.
I’ve just had a look at the Nimbus municycle frame and it seems to be pretty much perfect for what I want…
Can’t think how I missed it?? =P.
Any ideas what cheap(ish) hubs would work with it??

Choomii

The normal Nimbus hub is probably the best bet - not expensive and very strong.

Do you have all the other parts already (rim, spokes, seatpost, saddle, seat clamp, cranks…)?
Otherwise you may be better off just buying a whole Nimbus muni, or looking for a second hand one if a new one is out of your budget.

Rob

BTW - what part of Dartmoor(ish)?

Thanks Rob!

Umm… I’ve been looking at some of the nimbus munis but I really want to be able to build my own…
And I like the idea of putting magura brakes on it and by buying the frame i could do it…

But i do like the nimbus black muni which is £250. The rim and tyre on this look and sound very good but i’m not sure…
And I’m hoping that to cut costs I can use some parts from my existing uni… :smiley:

But thanks…

Choomii

This “intermediate” muni looks nice, and it’s cheaper than the black one:

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles-1/muni-24-29/nimintermediatemuni24.html

If you end up buying parts individually and building your own, use the product descriptions from UDC for clues about what parts are compatible and what measurements you need. You can call them too if you need to.

This 29" Qu-Ax looks good if you’re open to the idea of a bigger wheel:
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles-1/muni-24-29/29-qu-ax-cross-country-unicycle.html

I’ve been riding a 29" wheel off road lately, and the extra speed really is fun. I guess it depends on the terrain you’ll be riding it on.

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

I’d keep a close eye on the Trading Post.

If you want to keep costs to a minimum and get something decent, I’d definately go for the beginer Muni. If you want a different color frame, ask & they will prob switch that out for you. You seem to still be a bit short & I bet you wouldn’t fit on anything larger than a 24 w/o cutting the frame. Be aware of the min recomended inseam (crotch to floor, not pant size).

Building your own will cost more, unless you get good deals on a lot of used parts. Beginer seats, like what’s likely on your current uni usually aren’t very comfortable. That the post, and pedals are the only things that might transfer.

Thanks…

Thanks Aarons!

I think a 24" would be more suited to me…
I like the nimbus munis but i’d like some different parts that don’t come with it…
Like the oddyssy twisted pc pedals and the duro wildlife leapard tyre off the black nimbus muni…

And i’d also love to have the 24" frame with the magura brake mounts…

Yeah I’d love to build my own Muni but I can see that buying the parts would be very expensive… My seat atm isn’t too bad but an upgrade wouldn’t harm me… I am very short like you said 5"3 so not sure about anything bigger than a 24" i’ll have to measure my inseam though…

There are a few things i dislike about the nimbus muni…

The pedals… I like the odyssey twisted pc’s…
The tyre… I’d get the Duro Wildlife Leapard…
The frame… I prefer the nimbus II frame with magura mounts…

But other than that it looks pretty good…

Thank you all…

Choomii

We can normally do some swaps for you if you reallly want. The current Nimbus Muni is a great package though, personally I would not swap much on it at all. The North Yorks moors are similar to what you have down there so I guess it would work. :slight_smile:

Roger