Help my brother choose a unicycle

He keeps sending me emails, so this is probably the best way to pass the buck. (And he does read this, too, even if he does it sneakily without telling anyone…)

The ones I think he’s agonising over are these:

20" Nimbus II Unicycle
20" Nimbus I Unicycle
20" Dodger

I, naturally, suggested the more expensive one, because the frame looks nicer and he won’t have to do what I’m doing, replacing it after a few months. The Nimbus I is cheaper, though, and the Dodger cheaper still, although it has lollipop bearings which people seem not to like.

Gauss, you’re good at this. Tell him to get the Nimbus II, he won’t regret it, etcetera…

Phil, just me

I dont think he should get any of those peasonally I think he should get a torker(best of three) or a united or savage(equally good) uni all of them are low cost but still great learners that dont wear down easy. But if I had to chose of the three you listed I would choose the Nimbus II.:smiley:

Not in the UK though, as far as I can tell…

Phil, just me

can he ride or will this be a ‘learner’?

if so, get the cheapest, just incase it doesn’t ‘take’ on him

He can ride; he used my uni to learn on. It’s most definitely “taken”… :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

I would only recommend the Dodger for a someone who is light, a child say (the saddle is flexible too). Whether to go for the Nimbus I or II depends on the preference for the frame and if he thinks the extra 16 quid is worth it go for the Nimbus II (I think it is).

My son first had a Rogue (out of stock at the mo) and then got a Nimbus II (retro fitted with a Max Daddy tyre) and it is standing up to what he throws at it, 3.5 foot drops and going up, he now wants the Onza trials uni. I took over ownership of the Rogue and it is serving me well for freestyle but I wouldn’t do any drops or such like on it.

Gary

If I get any say in this, it was actually a 24" uni I was after. It’s a long way to my lectures, and I don’t want to be tempted by a bike (Look! You’ve gained a wheel!), and given that we’re talking about 9 in the morning here the uni has to be a (fairly) easy option. But I think I’m going for the nimbus II. It’s just so damn stylish. Red wheel, yeah… :sunglasses:

If you’re at Nottingham Trent University, it can be a damn long way between lectures :wink:

Gary

Nope, University of Nottingham. But in broadgate park, doing engineering (right the way across campus. (i’m assuming you know it a bit, or this’ll make no sense). Although next year I get ‘introduction to management’ lectures, which sound really exciting, on another campus that’s about 3 miles away. A bit far for a 20", I think.

Oi, don’t you start getting ideas above your station…

Phil, just me

Re: Help my brother choose a unicycle

“unicus” <unicus.cb0mc@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:unicus.cb0mc@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I would only recommend the Dodger for a someone who is light, a child
> say (the saddle is flexible too). Whether to go for the Nimbus I or II
> depends on the preference for the frame and if he thinks the extra 16
> quid is worth it go for the Nimbus II (I think it is).
>
> My son first had a Rogue (out of stock at the mo) and then got a Nimbus
> II (retro fitted with a Max Daddy tyre) and it is standing up to what he
> throws at it, 3.5 foot drops and going up, he now wants the Onza trials
> uni. I took over ownership of the Rogue and it is serving me well for
> freestyle but I wouldn’t do any drops or such like on it.

My rogue frame broke just riding down kerbs.

Get a nimbus I or II. II if he’s going to want to go offroad any point cos
they’ve got more clearance.

Joe

Re: Help my brother choose a unicycle

Coker, Coker, Coker, Coker… :wink:

Heck, if he wants it for commuting, what could be better than a Coker?!

Coker? That might be nice, but its £235 and I’m a student. I also want to be able to eat. Sorry, but I cannot live without my curry. And it isn’t just for commuting. I want to do tricks (wishfull thinking) and possibly muni as well (eventually).

I have a Nimbus II 20 inch and a Nimbus I 24 inch for comparison. Also, I have a Pahley 20 inch with old style lollipop bearings (out on loan at presen) and a Pashley 26 with new style ones, so I guess that covers all the options you’ve raised.

Lollipop bearings introduce more hassle when changing the tyre, and can work loose and possibly damage the fork ends. I’d say definitely go for the other sort - a Nimbus or similar.

Comparing the Nimbus I and II, I’d say the Nimbus II looks nicer, looks a bit stronger, and the fork shoulders are nicely shaped for stuff like one foot idling/riding. The Nimbus II is an all round better unicycle than the Nimbus I.

That said, I have ridden many happy miles on the Nimbus I with a cheap Halfords knobbly tyre and a variety of crank sizes. Nothing wrong with it; it’s just not as good.

For the extra few beer vouchers, I’d go for the Nimbus II.

And wheel size? If you can only buy one unicycle, buy the 24. It’s strong, manoeuvreable and versatile, and with a £7 par of short cranks, will move fairly quickly too.

I’m based in Nottingham. If you want to examine the unis in the flesh (theirs, not yours) let me know.

Thanks for the offer, but I’ve decided on the nimbus II anyway. I just need to find a way of ordering so that there’s at least a chance of me being in when its delivered.
Where do you muni arounds here then? It seems a bit too built up, but then I’ve only lived here for 3 weeks, so I don’t know it that well yet. You’ll have to join me for a ride once I get a bit less totally incompetent.

You’re only a stones through from Wolaton Park which has an easy ride around its lake and there’s Bramcote Woods/Stapleford Hill only a few miles away which is where I like to go. Although those two aren’t big, they have some good hill tracks and you’re never far from the car park (which is good when you’re exhausted).

Gary

And Gary (Unicus) lives locally too. (Must get together again soon, Gary!)

From Nottingham University, it is a short trip to Attenborough Nature Reserve. If you can find your way to the Beeston Canal (crosses the Ring Road near to Dunkirk Island) you can ride towpath to Beesteon Marina (tea shop and bar) then straight into the nature reserve, and along the river bank to Trent Lock (2 pubs). As for Muni, loads of places. Contact me direct at Mikefule@aol.com for ideas.

Yes, we’ll have to go for a ride and judging by this and a number of other recent posts of yours I think a few watering holes en-route wouldn’t go a miss :wink:

Cheers, Gary

Are there an residual mutterings about that place near Sheffield someone mentioned? Wherncliffe, Whernside, somethingorother… I couldn’t be having with all these other people muni-ing but not me! :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

I mentioned it and I’m planning on going to Wharncliffe Woods http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/wharncliffe_woods.html one day next week when I get a few hours spare (was going to be this week but you know how things go). I’ll let you know what it’s like.

Gary