Help, I can only make left turns!

So I’m finally getting the hang of it. But I have this silly little problem…left turns are easy (I’m a lefty and very dominant on my left side), but right turns are a struggle – very awkward. Does anyone else have a “preferred side” problem?

I guess it’s just practice, but i want to check if anyone has some obvious tips.

Well, you’re one step ahead of Derek Zoolander. :wink:

Yeah, it’s all practice. Just keep at it.

:smiley: I watched only half of the movie and I understand that:p

I had the same problem when I started. Try doing only right turns for a while. You will get used to it

This might not help, because it’s coming from someone who could ambi-turn since i first learned to ride, but you might just try swinging your arms hard to the left and twisting your hip right, or just leaning on the right harder than usual. When I first learned, it took me more than the width of my driveway to be able to turn 180°, though, so just be patient.

please search before making a new thread…

Just keep practicing. I had the same problem in the beginning. I would just ride around in large lefhand circles.

I also had a problem with having my torso turned about 10 degrees to the right. I was unable to ride straight if I faced straight forward. I think this is because I have spent so much time on a skateboard and that is how my body is twisted when I ride it. The problem has slowly been correcting itself and now I can face straight forward when I ride.

What kinda helped me, is twist your shoulders the way you want to go. If you want to go left, twist your shoulders left. If you want to go right, twist them to the right. After a while, you won’t have to twist as much to get the turn going.

When I first learned, it was all I could do to ride a circle around a tennis court.

Keep riding, turning will get better.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but three lefts do.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much - all it is is practice, one day you will go out there and just be able to do it;)
One thing you may find helps is ride somewhere where you either have to UPD or turn… this way you tell yourself to stay on the uni and just try and go with it.
Hope that helps a little bit:)
J

Hey Cliff: good to see that you’re still working at riding. Try practicing figure 8’s. That’s what worked best for me. They cause you to shift your weight around on the saddle. Keep at it.

Just about everyone has a similar problem for a while.

But you want to practice lots of large circles to the right. Gradually make them smaller until you can turn equally well in each direction. Then practice figure 8’s making those circles smaller until you can do them w/ diameters less than 1.5 meters.

Check out the unicycle skill levels for ideas on what to work on next. Try to learn most of the skills through at least level 5. For more tips go to unicycletips.com

practice…practice…practice!!! i think that everyone had similar problems while learning. it helps(sometimes) to look the way that you want to go… your body tends to follow. also…lean with your hips and twist your whole body towards the direction that you want to go