Help! Frustrated with switch to 29

That’s what most people here seem to think, but certainly with my coker tyre (TA) if I put more than 30psi in it’s absolutely horrible on cambered roads - much better at a lower pressure, between 25 and 30psi. May not be relevant to Nanoraptor/Big Apple though.

Rob

Actually I think this is more dependent on the tire. Some like high pressure (like all those 1.75 tires we rode in the old days) while others do better with low. For best results, experiment and see what works best.

OK, let me back off some - in my limited experience a narrow rim with a relatively wide tyre makes camber sensitivity worse. Also, insofar I have experienced, low pressure makes camber sensitivity worse.

I think it can be physically explained. The moment a particular spot at the centre line of the tyre hits the road, it sits in the centre plane of the wheel. Now if the road is cambered, the tyre will tend to roll laterally, so that that same spot of rubber will be out of the centre plane of the wheel when it arrives in the middle of the tyre contact patch. This creates a moment, and effectively your wheel tends to veer off a straight course.

The more the tyre resists lateral rolling (i.e., with higher pressure or a relatively wider rim), the less this annoying tendency will be.

This reasoning fits with my limited experience. Camber sensitivity is highest on my Nimbus (Yuni) 29" which has a very narrow rim (22 mm, I believe) and a 2.35" Big Apple. I can make it better by increasing the pressure (I’ve gone to a max of about 4.75 bar). But I agree that for other tyres, different effects may play a role.