Helmets: Do you wear one? Why? When?

Anytime I’m on a guni. That’s 100% – at any point it could disengage (which has happened to me twice). One time it did, and it was a close call – I did hit use my helmet that time!

Whenever I muni.

Whenever I’m riding really fast on a Coker, which is most of the time when I’m Cokering.

In uni races (like at a convention).

That’s it, really. Not when I’m riding under most other conditions.

It sounds to me like the reason you don’t wear one isn’t because of comfort but because you are embarrassed by it.

I second that. Anyone who doesn’t wear a helmet on a regular basis is itching to loose some more brain cells :slight_smile:

For those who think trials riding is “safe” to not wear a helmet, are you serious?

corbin

EDIT: LOL! My picture of me is at burning man where I don’t wear a helmet. Granted, it is a very controlled environment, and I do loose brain cells there.

I didn’t used to wear a helmet but Iv’e started wearing one all the time recently. It provides a little more confidence.

Yellow. (I meant while cycling, smart guy.)

I agree that Coker riding involves the least UPDs, and so, perhaps less chance of melon-banging. But road riding requires worrying about car drivers, many of whom I feel are not careful enough. Also, the higher speeds of a 36er (or guni (see below)) are more dangerous.

Dude, at your speeds, that’s nuts.

Cars are certainly the biggest threat for commuting and road riding. Fortunately my commute and urban rides mostly involve very wide bike lanes, urban trails, and side streets. It is rare that I have to venture out into any kind of traffic.

I always wear one(when riding!) I smacked my head on a wall on a UPD training for RTL. Cracked the helmet but not my head. I wish there was an emoticon with a helmet!:wink:

I always use one.

When I used to ride trials I had a upd and while running forward to avoid falling on my face I ran into a stop-sign.

All of my weight went directly into the pole. It hit me right on the top of the head and broke my helmet in two.

I occasionally wear one for muni but that’s all. I’m gonna start wearing a helmet for big street though. I can probably convince my parents to buy me a skate helmet so I don’t need to wear a bike one.

I normally always wear one since I got it. Mainly cause the police can charge me and also It does save me from some injuries :stuck_out_tongue: Its just a skate style bike helmet.

I wear one sometimes when I’m riding around things that jut out…

A tree stump in a trials course, stack of bricks(my worst enemy), a jagged rock edge, stairs that aren’t soft, any sort of post in the ground that is short enough my head can reach the top, a miniature hum-vee…
yeah…

I always wear a helmet when riding a uni. Feel naked without one.

As for the other safety gear, I’m counting on scrapes and bones mending. I’m sure I’d be doing more tricks if I wore the gear, it’s just too hot.

If I’m riding and I start to fall, then I’ll grab my helmet (attached to the back of my camelbak) and put it on really fast! Same thing with the airbags in my car. I manually turn them off while I’m driving, (don’t want them to deploy accidentally!) and then quickly turn them back on only if I’m just about to have a terrible accident! Safety is so overrated! :roll_eyes:

Think of it like an insurance policy. It’s there to protect you, but hopefully you’ll never have to file a claim!

In the 13 to 14 years I’ve been BMX and unicycling, I have never worn a helmet, only had a couple of bad crashes on BMX, and none particularly bad on my unicycles, not had any injuries a helmet would have prevented. looking into gettin one soon though, as there’s some rocks the local trials bikers hop about on, that are quite tempting to mess about on. Seeing as they are near a hovercraft terminal, chances are they are a tad slippery. Lol, an’d I’ve noticed as I’m gettin older, I’m bouncing back from crashes slower, lol.

F.

One reason I wear a helmet is because a guy I work with didn’t wear one for the first three years of bmx. Now if he has another head injury he will ether be blind or not wake up. Please people, use comon sense, wear a helmet.

Pigs

Well, I have until recently I’ve only been wearing a helmet while riding my 36er. A couple weeks ago I decided for my long term safety that I should invest in a skater helmet that for trials. I’ve been wearing it non stop when riding any of my unicycles. I use a Capex double layer foam, skate helmet. It’s pretty much the same as the Protec helmets.

Never. I wore mine the day I got a concussion, that was a year ago. Haven’t since though. It’s just annoying to have on/ carry around. I wear shin gourds and gloves though. Once I start 180’in big sets I’ll probably wear one.

Always.
Edit: Cool kids wear lids :slight_smile:

I always wear a helmet now, even if I do look like a dork with it on.

For anyone that doesn’t think they need a helmet, I’ll post a vid later of my friend who pretty much escaped death because of his helmet. Grinding a simple 5 set he went over the bars and landed straight onto his head.

I thought no-one wore a helmet on uni! I never do :frowning: this is a big surprise, I still dont believe in a helmets ability to protect you but might start wearing one so kids on bikes will