Hello!

Hello all…i just recently joined the group, and thought i should introduce
myself…i’ve been lurking for about a month, and sure have enjoyed reading the
postings. I hadn’t been on a unicycle for almost 20 years until recently. I
started on a 24" Schwinn back in the late 70’s, then joined the Army in the
early 80’s. Somewhere during that Army career, i quit riding the Schwinn and let
it get away from me. I recently retired, and started thinking about getting
another uni, thought it would be a fun way to try and stay in shape. My brother,
who still rides a 24" Schwinn, showed me a picture from unicylesource of the
Coker, and i knew right away i had to have one! I’ve never been much on tricks,
just like to get on and ride, so the Coker seemed like exactly what i needed.
Needless to say, i love it, even though i wish the quality was a little better.
I’ve just recently picked up a 26" Semcycle also, something to work on a few
skills with maybe, and i’m pretty sure that there is a muni in my future also!
Anyway, i tried to post a question to the Coker owners in the group the other
day, and accidently only sent it to one person instead of the group. John Childs
was gracious enough to answer, and suggested i post it to the group, so here
goes…What kind of tire pressure are you running on the Coker? The 32 psi
rating on the tire feels low to me, too many years of riding narrow tires at
high pressures. I had been running it around 50 psi, but lowered it to about 40
after reading John’s reply to
me. Has anyone had any problems related to higher pressures on the Coker
tire? Thanks!

Chuck


Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year!
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Hello!

Chuck,

Welcome to the group and the wonderful world of “Cokerheads!” I ride at about
40psi on mine but I am quite light (140lbs) and I know that some people have
higher pressure in their tyres. It is the highest I can get in my current tyre
though the latest tyre is too big for the rim. You can actually get your fingers
in under the tyre bead when there is no air in the tyre. I got mine to settle on
the rim by smothering it with lubricant and then pumping it up very slowly and
pulling it central when ever it started to wander. It is stable now though at
about 40psi.

Roger


The UK's Unicycle Source <a href="http://www.unicycle.uk.com/">http://www.unicycle.uk.com/</a>

----- Original Message ----- From: “Chuck Webb” <ke4mej@yahoo.com> To:
<unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 11:51 PM
Subject: Hello!

> Hello all…i just recently joined the group, and thought i should introduce
> myself…i’ve been lurking for about a month, and sure have enjoyed reading
> the postings. I hadn’t been on a unicycle for almost 20 years until recently.
> I started on a 24" Schwinn back in the late 70’s, then joined the Army in the
> early 80’s. Somewhere during that Army career, i quit riding the Schwinn and
> let it get away from me. I recently retired, and started thinking about
> getting another uni, thought it would be a fun way to try and stay in shape.
> My brother, who still rides a 24" Schwinn, showed me a picture from
> unicylesource of the Coker, and i knew right away i had to have one! I’ve
> never been much on tricks, just like to get on and ride, so the Coker seemed
> like exactly what i needed. Needless to say, i love it, even though i wish the
> quality was a little better. I’ve just recently picked up a 26" Semcycle also,
> something to work on a few skills with maybe, and i’m pretty sure that there
> is a muni in my future also! Anyway, i tried to post a question to the Coker
> owners in the group the other day, and accidently only sent it to one person
> instead of the group. John Childs was gracious enough to answer, and suggested
> i post it to the group, so here goes…What kind of tire pressure are you
> running on the Coker? The 32 psi rating on the tire feels low to me, too many
> years of riding narrow tires at high pressures. I had been running it around
> 50 psi, but lowered it to about 40 after reading John’s reply to
> me. Has anyone had any problems related to higher pressures on the Coker
> tire? Thanks!
>
> Chuck
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year!
> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Hello!

Hi Chuck, I’m 140 lbs. and inflate the Coker to 60 psi. It can take this much
pressure and help’s to increase speed. Don’t go over 60 psi. I blew a tire
off the rim at 62 psi. and turned heads in a two block radius from the loud
BANG it made.

Austin One Wheelers-unicycle.place.org

Re: Hello!

Hello from another Cokerhead. Thanks for the comment. I’m 140 too and am going
go pump mine up to 40 lbs also. I wonder how high you can safely go?

Joe In article <006601c08cf3$1043e340$6d5bfe3e@p400>, “Roger”
<Roger@unicycle.uk.com> wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> Welcome to the group and the wonderful world of “Cokerheads!” I ride
at
> about 40psi on mine but I am quite light (140lbs) and I know that some people
> have higher pressure in their tyres. It is the highest I can
get in
> my current tyre though the latest tyre is too big for the rim. You
can
> actually get your fingers in under the tyre bead when there is no air
in the
> tyre. I got mine to settle on the rim by smothering it with
lubricant and
> then pumping it up very slowly and pulling it central when ever it
started
> to wander. It is stable now though at about 40psi.
>
> Roger
>
> -------------------------------------------------
> The UK’s Unicycle Source http://www.unicycle.uk.com/
> -------------------------------------------------
> ----- Original Message ----- From: “Chuck Webb” <ke4mej@yahoo.com> To:
> <unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 11:51 PM
> Subject: Hello!
>
> > Hello all…i just recently joined the group, and thought i should introduce
> > myself…i’ve been lurking for about a month, and sure have enjoyed reading
> > the postings. I hadn’t been on a unicycle for almost 20 years until
> > recently. I started on a 24" Schwinn back in the late 70’s, then joined the
> > Army in the early 80’s. Somewhere during that Army career, i quit riding the
> > Schwinn and let it get away from me. I recently retired, and started
> > thinking about getting another uni, thought it would be a fun way to try and
> > stay in shape. My brother, who still rides a 24" Schwinn, showed me a
> > picture from unicylesource of the Coker, and i knew right away i had to have
> > one! I’ve never been much on tricks, just like to get on and ride, so the
> > Coker seemed like exactly what i needed. Needless to say, i love it, even
> > though i wish the quality was a little better. I’ve just recently picked up
> > a 26" Semcycle also, something to work on a few skills with maybe, and i’m
> > pretty sure that there is a muni in my future also! Anyway, i tried to post
> > a question to the Coker owners in the group the other day, and accidently
> > only sent it to one person instead of the group. John Childs was gracious
> > enough to answer, and suggested i post it to the group, so here goes…What
> > kind of tire pressure are you running on the Coker? The 32 psi rating on the
> > tire feels low to me, too many years of riding narrow tires at high
> > pressures. I had been running it around 50 psi, but lowered it to about 40
> > after reading John’s reply to
> > me. Has anyone had any problems related to higher pressures on the Coker
> > tire? Thanks!
> >
> > Chuck
> >
> >
> >
> > __________________________________________________
> > Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year!
> > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
> >
>
>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Re: Hello!

I must be too used to the Gazzaloddi, because I put 25psi in my Coker and it
seemed too hard.

Chris

Eddie Moffat wrote:
>
> Hi Chuck, I’m 140 lbs. and inflate the Coker to 60 psi. It can take this much
> pressure and help’s to increase speed. Don’t go over 60 psi. I blew a tire off
> the rim at 62 psi. and turned heads in a two block radius from the loud BANG
> it made.
>
> Austin One Wheelers-unicycle.place.org

Re: Hello!

> Are you muniing with the Coker Chris? For road, I really recommend much higher
> than 25psi!

In Idaho, even the roads are MUni. I’m not used to feeling the bumps I go over.
We got some fresh snow today, so that even made it easy to turn. Do you guys
like higher road pressure so you can turn on a dime or so you can go faster?

Actually, I’m not being that hard on it. I have noticed that I can’t stop the
wheel when I jump like I do on a MUni. So curbs will take a little different
technique, like jump and keep pedaling. Unfortunately, the larger diameter
wheels also require more inflation adjustment to transition from a good flatland
feel (hopping on flat ground) to a good rail feel (hopping on a railroad track
or a sharp rock, which requires a lot more air). This compensation is much less
on the Monty unis, because the wheel diameter is pretty small and thus the small
size of the flatland contact patch is more near the size of the contact patch
on, say, a rail or a rock. It’s worse on the 26-inchers, but the Coker is the
worst, I’m sure. So I’ll have to increase pressure substantially even to be able
to ride into a tall curb without bottoming out on the rim.

>Does the fact that the pedals are a little wider apart bother you at all?

Having never actually ridden more than ten feet on someone else’s Coker, I don’t
know what to compare it to. There still isn’t much wheel wobble, probably
because the rim and tire are so massive. And John is right, my cadence isn’t
that fast.

Chris

Re: Hello!

Are you muniing with the Coker Chris? For road, I really recommend much higher
than 25psi! That’s really cool what you did with the hub. Does the fact that the
pedals are a little wider apart bother you at all? I suppose it’s something
you’d get used to very fast?

—Nathan

“Chris Reeder” <reed8990@uidaho.edu> wrote in message
news:3A816AF9.A77B8FCE@uidaho.edu
> I must be too used to the Gazzaloddi, because I put 25psi in my Coker and it
> seemed too hard.
>
> Chris
>
>
> Eddie Moffat wrote:
> >
> > Hi Chuck, I’m 140 lbs. and inflate the Coker to 60 psi. It can take this
> > much pressure and help’s to increase speed. Don’t go over 60 psi. I blew a
> > tire off the rim at 62 psi. and turned heads in a two block radius from the
> > loud BANG it made.
> >
> > Austin One Wheelers-unicycle.place.org

Re: Hello!

Do you guys like higher road pressure so you
> can turn on a dime or so you can go faster?

To go faster and use less energy.


Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a
year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Hello!

I increased mine from 32 to 48. MUCH BETTER! Maybe I’ll try 55 psi next!

            In article &lt;t83945kmpm7c71@corp.supernews.com&gt;,
              "Nathan Hoover" &lt;nathan@movaris.com&gt; wrote:

> Are you muniing with the Coker Chris? For road, I really recommend
much
> higher than 25psi! That’s really cool what you did with the hub.
Does the
> fact that the pedals are a little wider apart bother you at all? I
suppose
> it’s something you’d get used to very fast?
>
> —Nathan
>
> “Chris Reeder” <reed8990@uidaho.edu> wrote in message
> news:3A816AF9.A77B8FCE@uidaho.edu
> > I must be too used to the Gazzaloddi, because I put 25psi in my
Coker
> > and it seemed too hard.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> >
> > Eddie Moffat wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Chuck, I’m 140 lbs. and inflate the Coker to 60 psi. It can take this
much
> > > pressure and help’s to increase speed. Don’t go over 60 psi. I
blew a
> > > tire off the rim at 62 psi. and turned heads in a two block
radius from
> > > the loud BANG it made.
> > >
> > > Austin One Wheelers-unicycle.place.org
>
>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/