Hello

Hi, another newb here. I got a unicycle as a random gift for Christmas & have been watching Kris Holm and Terry Peterson videos since. Well, in between trying to balance on one wheel anyway! Cheers, and happy new year everyone.

OorWullie,

We are rooting for you!!! Be patient and persevere. Wear safety gear so you aren’t afraid to fall, then spend an hour a day practicing. Keep watching the videos. Measure your success in inches, then feet, then yards, etc. If you are confused about something, someone on the forum can answer your questions. With patience, the joy you’ll get from unicycling will far outweigh the frustration and confusion of learning. Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks. I’m alternating between using a wall and riding unaided, trying to count pedal revolutions. I’ve managed 6 full turns of the cranks but its not pretty, a lot of wobbling side to side. From what I’ve read I’m probably not putting enough weight on the seat?
After a couple of days trying, my wife asked how I am doing with it. My reply was “I feel like I’m falling off with more control now”…

I do have a question. Seat height, what is ‘right’? Mine is on the minimum insertion line but still feels lower than on my mtb. Should it be the same, in terms of leg extension at the bottom of the pedal stroke?
Thanks.

Seat height is different for every rider. Generally it will be a little lower than how you have it on your MTB. Try different heights you’ll find what’s best for you. And that height will probably change as you get better. Saving yourself from a UPD is sometimes just as gratifying as riding a good section of the trail, it’s all part of uni experience. Cheers

“Weight in the seat”

“Enough weight in the seat” will come eventually; IMO, don’t worry about it as a beginner; it is safer to start out with more weight on the pedals. If you tried to transfer too much weight onto the seat, right now, that could result in an ugly UPD. It is important, at this point, to have the seat stabilized between your legs, since I assume your arms are out to the side for balance, but that doesn’t necessarily translate into more weight in the seat. I agree with the previous poster: experiment with the height of the seat post. Six revolutions sounds great; you are definitely on your way!

Cheers, I’ll experiment a bit and see what feels right then.

Another thing I was wondering about is tyres. The unicycle I have has a 20x1.75 tyre. I have an old bmx with a 20x2.125, would there be any advantage/disadvantage to swapping for the wider tyre?
Oh, and I’m mot sure if this is the right place to be asking these questions, so if I’m wrong feel free to point me to the right place!
Cheers again.

Swap Tire?

Hmm, I am no expert in tire swapping. There is a range of widths that’ll work for a certain rim, I think. You might need to experiment and see if the BMX tire works.

If you are practicing curbing the unicycle, leaning forward, letting go, riding forward…then I’d recommend keeping your tire fully inflated. On a 20", a fully inflated tire will feel pretty glitchy, but it will start rolling easily, and your sense of the physics of falling-forward/pedaling forward will be more pure (whereas an under-inflated tire may add resistance). Left-right steering is going to be a nightmare on a fully-inflated 20" tire, as well. Nevertheless, it is better to get feedback from the unicycle, UPD a bunch, but learn to steer in the process.

That said, you may find that lower tire-pressure works better for you. It may allow you, as a beginner, to ride longer-straighter without veering off the road. Also, a lower tire pressure will aid in learning to self-mount.

If the BMX tire is heavier, the increased rotating mass of the wheel should help, to some degree, stabilize the unicycle.

Your willingness to experiment with your setup is encouraging!

I did that swap on my first uni just a couple of weeks into my learning phase and it was a real improvement. For a grown man on imperfect outdoor surface, the fatter tire helped. I only went up to 1.95" myself but I could run lower pressure without it being on the rim, so it rolled over cracks and bumps more easily. And it’s easy enough to switch back if you don’t like it.

At first one tends to use a lower seat because it is closer to the ground (preferable for the obvious reasons).

However balance is actually much easier with the seat as high as possible. The thighs move about a lot more with a lower seat and they complicate the balance.

On the other side, most tricks involve jumping which usually requires a bit of room to maneuver so the seat is lower. Moreover a lower seat is also required for tricks because, while in straight riding, a more efficient stroke is possible using the balls of the feet, drops require the pedal under the instep to avoid injury.

Best just learn to ride first so get a longer seat post.

A height to start is such that you can sit on the saddle and put your heels on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke. This allows you to ride no matter where your feet are placed. In practice you have a bit more leeway with the rotation of the ankle.

Thanks for the advice & encouragement. I’ll mess about while the weather is too miserable to get out. Also got a copy of Kris Holm’s book so that’ll pass time til the weather lets me out again.
Cheers.

Thanks for the advice & encouragement. I’ll mess about while the weather is too miserable to get out. Also got a copy of Kris Holm’s book so that’ll pass time til the weather lets me out again.
Cheers.

Welcome to the uni-community! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.