Hello and several Questions.

Hello from Georgia. I signed up here mainly for my son but I get the first post.:slight_smile: My 9 yld son just started riding. In 5 days he’s up and tooling around like he’s done it all his life. Yesterday he rode all around the park and only stopped when his legs got tired. Must be nice. He still needs a wall to get up but I expect him to be able to hop up on it with in a couple more days at the rate he’s going.

My wife picked up a couple of unicycles at a yard sale. His is a 20" Cycle World brand w/ a 20x1.75 tire. It is in great condition. The adult one is a Stelber brand w/ a 24"x1.75 tire. It isn’t in bad shape but you can tell it’s old.

Now the questions.
I haven’t ridden an unicycle since I was his age. Should I stick with the Stelber as it is, put a wider tire on it, or get a 20" w/ a 2.1 tire?

The pedals on the Stelber look like standard bike pedals. There is a lip on the side that I caught my foot on once already and took a tumble. Can these be replaced on this model?

Getting back up on the horse is a little harder than I thought it would be.:o

Greetings from another dad who has gotten back into unicycling because of my kids. We have lots of one-wheeled fun at our house! (just wait until you try mountain unicycling:D Its terrific!)

With regards to your questions: I am not familiar with the Stelber brand, but I have not seen a pedal yet that could not be replaced. Your local bike shop can probably help you out.

The conventional wissom is that it is easier to learn on a 20" (tire) uni than a 24" uni. If you are having serious trouble getting back into the saddle, you may find a 20" easier.

Speaking of saddles, the one thing I replace on all old unicycles is the saddle. My 46 year-old butt really appreciates the current great saddles on the market today. They are much improved over the saddles of my youth. You can find some good ones at unicycle.com (known as UDC by users of this forum). Check out the Nimbus or Kris Holm saddles. Both are excellent.

Speaking of UDC, they are located in your home state of Georgia. If you are somewhere nearby, you might want to drop into their showroom. Lots of pedals, saddles, unicycles, etc. You can touch the merchandise and get plenty of good advise.

You also might want to get some wrist protectors (mostly to protect the palms of your hands) and knee guards. Lots of people just wear a helmet, but my helmet has never once saved my noggin (although I still wear it). On the other hand, my wrist protectors and knee pads have saved me on many driveway tumbles.

Good luck and welcome back to the sport!

Georgia Dad, maybe you qualify for the “Are you 45+” thread in the RSU!

Congratulations to you and your son!

I don’t specifically know the Stebler, but I would guess that it’s seriously old-school, with cottered cranks? You can certainly replace the pedals; they might be 1/2" threads instead of today’s ubiquitous 9/16", but most bike stores should have 1/2" pedals in stock.

In general, I would probably not put a lot of money into that uni; you can get a really solid unicycle for $100 these days. If you’re anywhere near Marietta, GA, you can even stop by the unicycle.com store and check things out for yourself. The Torker LX 20" or 24" are both fine unis, and the Nimbus line is very high-quality.

+1 on what tholub said. 1/2" pedals are likely, so take one of the pedals into the shop/store when shopping, and make sure you get the matching size. 1/2" is less common these days, so the “default” pedal size will be 9/16.

Pedals are fine to buy, as they can be transferred to a newer unicycle (uh, only if they’re 9/16"). Otherwise, don’t spend money upgrading the Stelber; it’s an antique, low-end model. They hosted the first “big” American unicycle convention, 1971 at the Central Park Bandshell, in NYC. Yours is probably from the 70s.

Keep the Stelber as the next person/s can always use it to learn to ride!

The 1/2" size are often referred to as BMX pedals, as low end one-piece BMX cranks still use them.