Has this ever happened to you?

I was riding my coker in Sonoma wine country when I felt a tugging on my left shoe. Fortunately the crash wasn’t too bad. My wristguards definitely paid for themselves though.

shoelace.jpg

ALWAYS tuck your shoelaces into the sides of your shoes or under the tightened laces ANYTIME you get on a unicycle. But you already know that, now.

…at least my LEFT shoelace is too short for it to get caught again.

Hasn’t happened to me on a uni but it has happened doing DH on a mountain bike…
Of course on a mountain bike you can just spin backwards to solve the problem :wink:

Happened to me once. I always tuck my laces. Must have come out on that ride. :wink: I was lucky enough to notice the tugging as I was riding. I went for about four pedal strokes knowing that I was about to fall. It was very funny sensation knowing that I was about to fall, but having my foot stuck to my pedal. I don’t know why I didn’t manage to get my other foot down, but the UPD wasn’t that bad. About as low speed as one can get. :smiley:

Now, I double check my laces often.

Daniel

Been there, done that. I’m always afraid that my shoelace will get caught while riding across the street with oncoming traffic. It’s really disabling when the uni and your shoe become one. If the string doesn’t break, you have to stop where you’re at and loosen it (rotate the wheel backwards until it loosens up). Knowing the drivers around here, I don’t trust them to stop.

Re: Has this ever happened to you?

mscalisi wrote:
> I was riding my coker in Sonoma wine country when I felt a tugging on
> my left shoe. Fortunately the crash wasn’t too bad. My wristguards
> definitely paid for themselves though.

It only ever happens to anyone once. Fortunately when it happens to me
I was on a 20" and was within grabbing distance of a fence. This is
what can happen when it happens on a Coker:

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Laces

Happened to me on my coker once, luckily I managed to slow down enough to do some sort of controlled somersault and land safely. I think I threw myself to one side and twisted to that as the wheel came rotating around me I was above the ground and put my leg and arms out when things were mostly the right way up and landed in a mostly ok heap in middle of the side street with a yard diameter wheel tied to a foot.

The hardest part was standing (sitting) up with the wheel attached so that I could get out of the road, dragging it behind me.

And yes, I always tuck my laces in, and had done so for some time but they had worked loose.

Am getting a little paranoid about them on the road, like Paco.

Fool

I’ve done that! With pant leg bottoms, not laces :frowning:

I tuck the end of the laces into the crossed laces on the tongue, i find it keeps them more secure than just stuck in the side of the shoe

Re: Re: Has this ever happened to you?

Mine didn’t break until I hit the ground.

Yep, me too.

And of course it had to happen on a sidewalk with several people watching.

It was a wide sidewalk, and I passed them easily (and slowly), but nevertheless they were very suspicious of my riding skills and gave me much much more room than I would have needed (so I thought). Then, 2m after I passed them, my shoe laces tugged and I UPD`d.

That was very embarrassing… .

Juergen

It has happened to me twice.

First time was on my 1970 Schwinn 20" with cotter pinned cranks. The pin on the left side crank caught my shoe lace just as I was rushing home and turned a street corner. SPLAT …I was looking closely at the street before I knew what happened. It felt like a sudden increase in gravity. I learned to double-knot my laces and tuck them in under the cross-laces after that. Sometimes I’ll wear mocs (no laces).

The second time was on the very first day of the European Unicycle Tour. My left lace must have worked itself loose as we were headed down the Rhine River in a cluster. Fortunately the lace broke and freed me just before I would have certainly gone down and maybe taken out other riders behind me. About half an hour later, I almost got hit by a train, so the close call with the shoe lace didn’t seem that bad.

This happpened to me, years ago, on my 24" Cottered Schwinn. The nub and or nut on the cotter would sometimes grab your laces and tie you to the unicycle. When the laces don’t break, it sure is hard to get yourself untied from your unicycle. Maybe box cutters should be included in our camelbaks.

I learned to tie bows in several knots and then tuck the ends of the laces under the crossovers and tongue.

This problem is one of the only reasons I can think of to purchase cheap laces. You definately want those laces to break, and not just continue to torque your metatarsals closer and closer the the pedal top. I bet there have been a foot or two broken in this manner.

As Sofa said, I have also gotten my pants cuff hung-up in the crank/pedal area, but never so bad as to UPD. --chirokid–

I’ve also done the same thing with pant leg bottoms. I’d like to know if
this is a common problem with long pants, and if so whether there is a
solution (I don’t want to wear shorts to unicycle in cold weather).

“Sofa” <Sofa@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Sofa.10edml@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> I’ve done that! With pant leg bottoms, not laces :frowning:
>
> I tuck the end of the laces into the crossed laces on the tongue, i find
> it keeps them more secure than just stuck in the side of the shoe
>
>
> –
> Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?
>
> ‘Unicycle Product Reviews’
> (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)
>
> 'London Unicycling Club Website ’ (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
> version 3.0
>
> ‘your so stupid’ - )—(x)
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Sofa’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/30040
>

this has happened to me so much im surprised I havent learned my lesson yet. What happens is im used to wearin these shoes with tucked laces, but sometimes those shoes get really muddy or get other stuff on them and i have to clean them so i were the other pair, those shoes always get caught.

My pant leg gets caught on my crown alot too when im doing kick up mounts, very painful. :stuck_out_tongue:

Uni wrote:
> I’ve also done the same thing with pant leg bottoms. I’d like to
> know if this is a common problem with long pants, and if so whether
> there is a solution (I don’t want to wear shorts to unicycle in cold
> weather).

Don’t wear flares?

I’ve never come across the problem with trousers on a unicycle, but I
also haven’t worn loose trousers on a yike for many years. If it’s too
cold for just shorts then I usually wear tights or Ronhill Tracksters.
Otherwise I’ll wear cycleclips.

But don’t wear flares. Ever. There’s a reason they took much longer
coming back into fashion than most clothes - it’s because they look
truly ridiculous.

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Duct Tape should solve it!!! --chirokid–

MY pantlegs get caught a lot. When I have to haul a** t school, I have to rubberband the bottoms of them. I’ve gotten them caught in the crank while going my top speed down a hill. My uni stopped instantly, but I didn’t:( .

Me, thrice. But then I never really have looked after my shoes properly.

The third time, my shoe was a bit loose (loose-fitting shoe & dangling lace - could be some sort of correlation there). I got that ol’ tuggin’ feeling and bailed out without dignity, and, indeed, without my shoe, which was jammed betwixt crank and spoke.

Never again, until the next time.