Has anyone ever performed this stunt?

Has a flip ever been done on a unicycle? Years ago I had the idea of
riding off a drop onto a small trampoline and then landing a front flip
and riding away. Of course I never actually did this. But now I’m
wondering if something like this has ever been done?

-mg

i haven’t thought about a whole on flip on a uni, but i’ve thought about getting air then letting the seat swing around the axle, then sitting back down on it, kinda like spinning your handle bars, but not. i don’t htink you’d ever be able to go fast enough though to get the air required.

tim

i worship jesus

flip

I thought about flips too. I was thinking more along the lines of off a diving board into a pool or off a large drop to a steep sand dune.

From: skunker <forum.member@unicyclist.com>

> but I’ve thought about getting air then letting the seat swing
> around the
axle, then
> sitting back down on it, kinda like spinning your handle bars, but not.

I guess toe clips or the equivalent would be necessary lest the cycle drop
prematurely to terra firma.

Cheers, Greg ‘not wanting to think about riding with toe clips just yet’

I think the pool/sand dune would be a necessary step in learning this
stunt. Sort of like how the freestyle arial ski jumpers do. Jumping off
the ramp into a pool to avoid injury whilst working out the stunt.

-mg “ffej485” <forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:9rnrho$shi$3@laurel.tc.umn.edu
> I thought about flips too. I was thinking more along the lines of off a
> diving board into a pool or off a large drop to a steep sand dune.
>
>
>
>
> –
> ffej485 Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> http://unicyclist.com/forums

— skunker <forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote:
> i haven’t thought about a whole on flip on a uni, but i’ve thought about
> getting air then letting the seat swing around the axle, then sitting
> back down on it, kinda like spinning your handle bars, but not. i don’t
> htink you’d ever be able to go fast enough though to get the air
> required.
>
> tim
>
> i worship jesus
>
>
>
>
> –
> skunker Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
http://unicyclist.com/forums

The problem is not getting speed. Simple fisix tells us that no matter how
fast your going, your air time and height are the same if your going a
million miles an hour and if your standing still. So if you cant get a 3
and a half foot vertical, your not going to be doing this trick.

I do know that Dan heaton, and Adam Ryznar can both do something like
this. Im not going to give it away, as Ive never seen it I dont think I
could give an acurate description. Anyways,

later,

=====
Nick Cegelka

Pyrotechnick13@yahoo.com

NickLikesFire AIM

http://www.uni-psycho.cityslide.com


Do You Yahoo!? Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.
http://personals.yahoo.com

> The problem is not getting speed. Simple fisix tells us that no matter
> how fast your going, your air time and height are the same if your going
> a million miles an hour and if your standing still.

I use real physics instead of simple fisix. I my world I definitely get
more airtime if I’m not standing still :slight_smile:

If I go over a ramp at 5mph and 20mph, I promise you there will be more
airtime at 20mph (unless said ramp is pointing at the ground). As is often
the case with people giving physics answers for unicycling problems, a
common error is to not take all factors into account.

But the problem on a unicycle is getting enough speed for any kind of
jump. The faster you pedal, the more unstable you and the wheel are (due
to the fast leg/pedal motion). Where a bike can coast up a ramp after
gathering speed, we must pedal (and for those of you that don’t unicycle,
no you can’t do ramps or anything else useful with a freewheel unicycle).

Trails and Trials are lots of fun, but I have always felt inadequate when
I’ve been around big jump ramps and pipes on a unicycle. We can ride down
them, but not up enough to get any useful air.

This is where I think a motorized unicycle would be fun. Then we could
do the freestyle jumps we see the motocross guys doing, where they’re
basically Superman for several seconds as they “space walk” around their
bikes. And landings on one-wheelers should be a lot more interesting
than bikes!

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
www.unicycling.com

“Our time is a most precious commodity, but it’s how we spend it that
makes us rich.” - John Foss

— John Foss <jfoss@unicycling.com> wrote:
> > The problem is not getting speed. Simple fisix
> tells
> > us that no matter how fast your going, your air
> time
> > and height are the same if your going a million
> miles
> > an hour and if your standing still.
>
> I use real physics instead of simple fisix. I my world I definitely get
> more airtime if I’m not standing still :slight_smile:
>
> If I go over a ramp at 5mph and 20mph, I promise you there will be more
> airtime at 20mph (unless said ramp is pointing at the ground). As is
> often the case with people giving physics answers for unicycling
> problems, a common error is to not take all factors into account.

snip

> Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
> www.unicycling.com
>
> "Our time is a most precious commodity, but it’s how we spend it that
> makes us rich." - John Foss
>
> _______________________________________________
> rsu mailing list rsu@unicycling.org
> http://www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

That was kind of my point, unicyclists (as far as I know) dont use ramps
very well. Ive only ever seen one or two examples of this ever (of course,
I really havnt seen much). So, neglecting any type of jump, which is a
reasonable assumption I think, i belive im correct. When you jump from
ground level, your not going to get any more height or air time when your
not moving or when your moving at 100 miles an hour, unless you can hit
some kind of a jump. Infact, since your puttting more energy into vert,
your going higher than when your going at speed and kind of dividing up
your enery between horizontal and vertical distance.

Once again, its quite possible im wrong, as I am failing fisix right
now anyways.

Thanks for your opinions,

later

=====
Nick Cegelka

Pyrotechnick13@yahoo.com

NickLikesFire AIM

http://www.uni-psycho.cityslide.com


Do You Yahoo!? Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.
http://personals.yahoo.com

Hi,

I think the “spin” that was referred to earlier, is called a uni spin. It can be done either 180 uni spin, or 360 uni spin, maybe someone can do a bigger rotation than that.

Evan

> The problem is not getting speed. Simple fisix tells us that no matter
> how fast your going, your air time and height are the same if your going
> a million miles an hour and if your standing still. So if you cant get a
> 3 and a half foot vertical, your not going to be doing this trick.

I just came back from playing super mario brothers, and if you need to get
mario to jump higher, you give him a running start. You see, Mario can
transfer some of that horizontal velocity to vertical. Unfortunately, I
doubt most humans would be capable of effectively turing enough horizontal
force into vertical to make a substantial difference.

The problem with simple physics, is it makes you purposly neglect parts of
a problem. The problem with advanced physics involves my dislike for
advanced calculus.

Sent via the Unicyclist Community - http://Unicyclist.com

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:33:53 -0800, “John Foss”
<jfoss@unicycling.com> wrote:

>This is where I think a motorized unicycle would be fun. Then we could
>do the freestyle jumps we see the motocross guys doing, where they’re
>basically Superman for several seconds as they “space walk” around their
>bikes. And landings on one-wheelers should be a lot more interesting
>than bikes!

This reminds me of a few weeks ago. While driving on a highway I was
surpassed by a bunch of motorcyclists (I mean two wheelers) who where
speeding at 75 - 80 mph. One of the guys (I guess he was a male) made a
wheelie for a few hundred meters. I have always wondered how you keep your
balance during such a manoeuvre. Front-read balance is probably done by
the throttle but since the engine has probably some delay it will be quite
difficult. And then there is left-right balance. Would one be able to
steer like a unicycle can be steered? Anyway, such a skilled motorcycle
wheelie-er would be a good candidate to try a motorized unicycle!

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “ATF, Ruby Ridge, FBI”

yeah i was actually talking abot going off a jump, so speed would help. and don’t worry i’m failing physics too. Why is the ieda of a free whell uni cycle such a bad idea for ramps, jumps etc… if u were able to choose between free and fixed with the pull of a lever i think i’d work great, but prob. not in practice.
tim

i worship jesus

I use real physics instead of simple fisix. I my world I definitely getI use real phy

i have in fact been able to do jumps and small stuff on a skate park harlfpipe
its is very hard and i did get hurt but it is possible (especcially because i have been unicycling for not even 2 years)

>It can be done either 180 uni spin, or 360 uni spin, maybe someone can do
>a bigger rotation than that.

In the second shot of universe (in the introductory scene) you will see
Dan Heaton do a uni-spin, and if you slow it down you will see that it
is a 540 degree spin. So that answers your question if someone can do
bigger than 360.

)—(x) Dylan Wallinger Keep Riding
http://www.extremeunicycling-bcmat.cityslide.com

This is where I think a motorized unicycle would be fun. Then we could
do the freestyle jumps we see the motocross guys doing, where they’re
basically Superman for several seconds as they “space walk” around their
bikes. And landings on one-wheelers should be a lot more interesting
than bikes!

  • John Foss

Actually I designed and built a moterized unicycle about 4 years ago. The first design for one (to my knowledge) was in the later 1800’s. I’m not sure who came up with this, but i know that they got hurt and quit. It worked the same way with me.

I would possably try to build another one(and not get hurt this time) if anybody would be willing to work with me on it ( that includes going through the pain of learning how to controll it). :roll_eyes:

> Actually I designed and built a moterized unicycle about 4 years ago.
> The first design for one (to my knowledge) was in the later 1800’s. I’m
> not sure who came up with this, but i know that they got hurt and quit.
> It worked the same way with me.
>
> I would possably try to build another one(and not get hurt this time) if
> anybody would be willing to work with me on it ( that includes going
> through the pain of learning how to controll it). :roll_eyes:

I’m up for that - I worked out two ways of doing it using a cycle-master
engine - the first relies on break/throttle juggling to keep it upright -
the second one cheats and uses electronics to automaticly control
forward/back balance.

Joe