Hard drive camcorders?

You’re not the anyone I was looking for…note the * on either side.

Cool skydiving videos

Nice sky diving video! I was the subject of the first-ever air to air videotaping. It was over Zephyrhills, FL and it had to be in the early 70s. The videographer was named Jim Ellmaker. We had to drive to a studio in downtown Tampa to watch the result. It was so jerky we didn’t bother to save it. Ironically my ex-wife also had a major first in the sport - first female to jump a square canopy. It was at Poppenhager’s DZ in Indiantown, FL in 1969. Very little video of me exists from those days although I appear twice in the movie “The Endless Fall” by Mike Swain and once in “Masters of the Sky” by Carl Boenish. I believe both were shot with 16mm film. A helmet-mounted mini-DV camcorder would have made filming a heck of a lot easier.

From 1962 to 1976 I logged a little over 2000 jumps. I understand there are folks with five times that number today.

If you want to have some fun without spending too much money, get a Tony Hawk helmet cam. I bought one on woot.com for about $30. It only shoots at 15 frames per second but it’s very easy to mount to a helmet. Just pop the SD card out and upload it to your PC as an AVI file. Here’s a sample I shot last summer while biking and drafting behind my wife.