Hands free or hold on to the saddle?

How about neither hand in the air, both on a handle? I can understand it’s not going to work if it’s very steep though.

True on flat I also ride with both hands on the seat, but when wanting to put some speed into it, it is easier to have 1 hand in the air.

I understand not holding the saddle when riding, it’s a learnt skill that doesn’t always come easy or feel natural at the outset, but it’s well worth learning to do. However I’m not even sure how to mount a uni without holding on to the saddle :crazy_face:
It’s the only way I’ve ever mounted any of my wheels (20", 26", 29" & 36").

1 Like

There have been some videos in this forum showing how it is done, but I cannot find them now. Maybe @ruari did it? I vaguely recall something about needing both hands free, one for coffee and the other for ??? Hold the seat between your legs and step right up. It looks easy when someone else does it.

2 Likes

@ruari mounted his 36’er hands free in one of my videos:

5 Likes

Ha… Not the cleanest example that one actually. Coffee would probably have gone everywhere on that mount to be honest, even with a lid :laughing:

But I can and have done it many times. I’ll blame the camera weight putting me off. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I never mounted without holding the saddle until I unicycled while holding another uni. I needed both hands to hold the uni and just sort of figured the rest out. At some point during a ride whilst carrying uni I was about two miles in and very fatigued since it’s an awkward thing to do and missed the forward pedal on a mount. Concrete is yummy. So as long as you are focusing on the mounting and not trying to carry large items I think mounting without holding onto the saddle is a viable idea.

:rofl: :joy:

Thanks for posting this, I’ve never seen this done before.

This applies to any 36er freemount for me!

2 Likes