handlebars??

thank you for the pic

looks like a pogo stick:p

same
that is the coolest thing i have seen this week

Now that would be like riding SIF the whole time… VERY GOOD leg workout;)
I think i’ll stick to my uni though!

I built several sets of haldle bar unis over the years

On this set the clamp bolt was right where it would scrape the inside of my knee

So I started over from scratch an made the blue set out of 1/2" EMT.

Later I made the black set with a 24" wheel and more of an Ape Hanger look out of 3/4" EMT to go along with the Chopper Uni I built.

It is realy a lot of fun to take these to public appearances and to unicycle events, because even people that have never ridden a uni think they can just jump on and ride it (top photo) but even experienced uni riders usualy have to work at it a while to get the knack.

Folks, this may be a dumb q to some of you, but indulge me:

Would it make any sense to make the pictured uni with BC foot plates, and have the bars and foot supports fixed together as usual within the frame system, but locate the wheel’s axle slightly above the foot pegs? Thereby allowing a bit of handle and footplate interplay/leverage?

I think that would be an awesome idea, can i have one too please. :smiley: :smiley:

BTW i don’t think your question was dumb. :smiley:

Perth

I just started and ride a 24" circus uni i got of ebay.com.au. Its alright im upgrading in another couple of months.

I think you’re in the wrong thread brendan v. :thinking:

In the books, the cycle being described at the top of the thread is called a handlebar unit. That is, a handlebar and wheel, but no pedals. If it has pedals I call it a handlebar unicycle.

Simplest/cheapest way to make a handlebar unicycle is to get a junk bike, as described above, and cut off the parts you don’t want. For fun, you could keep part of the frame there, and pretend you’re riding around on a funky bike before “disconnecting.”

Next easiest way is to use an old unicycle. Replace seat and post with handlebars and stem. Take the cranks off if you don’t want them, or leave them on like I do on mine. In shows, I do the usual silliness of riding with the handlebars (spin, backwards, riding one-handed, wheelie), but then I jump off the unicycle and ride around on the handlebar unicycle. Here’s a picture of my old one. I don’t know if I have any pictures of my current one, which is a 20" Miyata with BMX handlebars.

I only asked, because a regular BC is, well, tough to ride. If you were to put a handlebar onto a BC with lowered foot plates, it would seem to give an element of control to an otherwise unwieldy BC wheel. Call it a BC Trainer if you like, kinda like the youtube movie, but with BC foot plates instead of axle pegs.

Awesome idea Pete

A video of that catching big air would be popular IMHO. That’s what uni lacks as far as mass appeal goes. We are to slow to really fly. But I want to see someone else ride it ! :astonished:

what are the handlebars for?

hands?..maybe.