Had to throw out pedals with lots of life still left in them

Well, this is something that I never thought about.

I was letting some guy in the park try out my MUni. He tried it for a few minutes, and once whacked his shin hard enough to draw blood (we all know how ‘hard’ that actually is…not very)

I warned him before that I wear these pads because of that very thing, but he could try if he wanted.

I got home and thought about it.

I wouldn’t pick up a syringe off the ground for fear of what may be on it.

So I threw them out. Yet another advantage to owning $8 pedals.

‘Hey Brian, how’d you catch aids, are you some kinda junkie?’

‘No, it was from a unicycle pedal’

'Oh, and those bruises…I suppose you just ‘fell off your unicycle’ ?

Blood from a pedal never crossed my mind before, but I certainly don’t think throwing them out was a bad idea.

Should have just splurged on a can of Lysol. It kills just about everything. Might have set you back $2. It says right on the label it kills A.I.D.s, hepatitus… If the garbage man hasn’t come yet pull them out and spray them down. Not to mention most viruses only live on hard surfaces for a short time.(Exception Hepatitus).:slight_smile:

$8 for the pedals though?

I’d rather get new ones.

Wow I hadn’t thought of that, Sofa. That’s a little sobering.

But I do think the Lysol thing would be sufficient if you cleaned the pedals to remove any blocking dirt, then soaked them good in all directions with Lysol or the like.

Re: Had to throw out pedals with lots of life still left in them

a knee-jerk over-reaction maybe

just say know,
know,
know,
know,
know, know,

to sum up…
Although these unnatural concentrations of HIV can be kept alive for days or even weeks under precisely controlled and limited laboratory conditions, CDC studies have shown that drying of even these high concentrations of HIV reduces the amount of infectious virus by 90 to 99 percent within several hours. Since the HIV concentrations used in laboratory studies are much higher than those actually found in blood or other specimens, drying of HIV-infected human blood or other body fluids reduces the theoretical risk of environmental transmission to that which has been observed–essentially zero. Incorrect interpretation of conclusions drawn from laboratory studies have unnecessarily alarmed some people.

u’re out a decent pair of pedals, boet

In article <Sofa.orgdb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Sofa <Sofa.orgdb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Blood from a pedal never crossed my mind before, but I certainly don’t
)think throwing them out was a bad idea.

I hope you were wearing a mask–he might have had SARS, too.
-Tom

Re: Re: Had to throw out pedals with lots of life still left in them

All true, as I stated before. Of course Hepititis can live on a countertop for 6 months.

that’s a pisstake right? Tell me you’re joking?

Why not just wash off the pedal if you’re that paranoid? I take it you don’t eat any food you didn’t grow yourself, you don’t think they turn off food processing machines if someone cuts themselves do you? Don’t go on planes in case someone sat in the same seat as you and had aids?

Regarding what GILD said, I thought that initially (ISTR HIV can be destroyed by shining UV light on in for a few minutes), but there are other diseases carried in the blood, not too sure about their resilience.

I still think that that reaction is a bit paranoid though…

Had to throw out pedals with lots of life still left in them

Since we’re speculating on whether to be “paranoid” of catching diseases… let’s have some REAL fun!

How do you know that someone didn’t bleed on your pedals before you even bought them?

Next time you’re at the counter of your local Swill Palace, watch who handles your cash, and who dishes out your “food product”… same person?
Did they wash their hands between the cash register and your grub?
Oh, you went to the Drive-thru Window?

“Please pull ahead and pay at the second window, please.”

Eeeeww!
You didn’t just lick that stamp or envelope, did you? (as if anyone still uses the post office)…
How do you know that the cow that the glue was made from wasn’t a MAD cow?

… and then, there’s this :astonished:

I’d do it again.

i was at the skate park today and one of the skaters wiped out and bleed all over sombodyelses skateboard, the hurt guy appologised and wiped it off on the grass.

i wouldn’t throw out a pair of pedals in fact i’ve taken pedals home from trashed bikes that i’ve found.

i just don’t let people have a go on my trials unicycle i explain to them that the pedals will hurt and if they don’t understand i just say NO.

but still i can see your point.

I’d rather get a stranger’s blood on me than an equal amount of stupid poison oak oil… :smiley:

That said, I’d very much rather not have either. The blood is only really dangerous if it gets into your own bloodstream somehow Simply getting some on your hand should not hurt you. That’s why needles are so dangerous; because they can poke you with the “business” end.

Not to put anyone into a bad situation either, try to stay away from other peoples’ blood. If you’re at a skate park, there’s bound to be some…

mind you though its not like " incidious incurable disease" is a new thing people have been dying ot tetanus and othere such things for millions of years.

In article <Sofa.orgdb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Sofa <Sofa.orgdb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> writes:
>
> I wouldn’t pick up a syringe off the ground for fear of what may be on
> it.

The syringe is also likely to have been left behind by a high-risk-
for-disease previous user (or users). It’s not like people routinely
shoot-up with Wellgo’s or something.

>
> So I threw them out. Yet another advantage to owning $8 pedals.
>

Even Lysol or Bleach would have been over the top, IMO. You’d be
way more likely to pick up tetanus or a nasty infection from the
plain old dirt than anything from a previous leg scratch.

Just curious now, what if they’d been $15 pedals? $50?

============================================================
Gardner Buchanan <gbuchana@rogers.com>
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

Just put all those bloody unicycle parts in a box. When the value reaches its worth in shipping I’ll send you a check and you can send them my way. If you knew the amount of times that you’re exposed to funky monkey stuff everyday those pedals would be the least of your concerns. Try to get someone to bleed on something more expensive next time. I’m ready for some new stuff :slight_smile:

matt

Re: Re: Had to throw out pedals with lots of life still left in them

Gone.

Same with pedals

I’d throw them out if that happened to me.

Mark Newbold
Montpelier, Vermont USA

Re: Re: Re: Had to throw out pedals with lots of life still left in them

if it makes u feel safer and u’re not taking food from your kids mouth by having to replace the pedals, peace

my concern and the reason for my heavily linked original post was simply to help spread the info, allowing people to make a decision on a matter like this based on the scientific information available to us today
look at what the (over-?)-reaction to SARS have done to the hong kong economy
and mainland china isn’t doing much better

he could’ve coughed on you and given u TB
fully curable, yet it still kills more people in africa than AIDS

a mosquite could’ve bitten u and given u malaria (unlikely given the part of the world u r in, bear with me, i’m making a point here:) )
fully curable yet it still kills more people in africa than AIDS

thru-out history, over-reaction to various diseases have resulted in the cure being worse than the original threat

and when myocardial makes u an offer for the blooded gear, i’d like an opportunity to increase the bid
:wink:

I’m just curious, was his leg gushing with blood or was it more like the situation where the leg starts to slowly bleed a few seconds after the impact?

Andrew