Had my first unicycle trip today!

You should have a neighbour who can help you out on this, its not rocket science :slight_smile:

I suggest you can look at Mad4One as well. They come from Italy, and ship worldwide. Seeing you are really only looking at 24ā€™s, Iā€™d check out their 24" munis. It should be good for your purpose. I rode one no problem, straight onto beginner muni tracks, no learning curve really. You donā€™t feel all the little bumps.

If you are interested in building a uni from spare parts, here is the frame I have on my 24":

https://www.einradladen.com/Frame-Impact-Gravity-Black-24-Inch

It is a beautiful frame, light and strong. There is a limit on tire width however. Not a problem for me, but Iā€™m pretty certain a 3" wide tire wouldnā€™t fit.

Just a small comment about size. Using a very unscientific ruler method. As you can see below a ā€œmuniā€ / 24" plus size tire is quite big ~65cm - and I even think it looks bigger in real life than it really is because there is so much rubber.
A regular 24" tire is ~59cm and a regular 26" is ~65cm. Of course they likely perform quite differently (unfortunately I canā€™t test :slight_smile:) - because the 26" can hold a pressure of 5 bar and the 24" plus size is limited to ~2 bar - so it will never be as easy rolling on paved roads.

Thanks for the suggestion! I eventually discarded KH24" on the grounds of it being too expensive + worries about sufficient length of the standard seat post and viability of the standard seat supplied with it. So, it ended up being a decision between Mad4One URC (without brake) and Qu-ax, since both of them were in stock, and Iā€™ve decided to go with Mad4One (fully in black). It had arrived today, so I will try it in the evening. It looks pretty cool, though the tire is huge (itā€™s 2.6" - honestly, Iā€™ve no idea how 3" or 4" tires look like after seeing this one). I hope the build quality is as good as the design and the customer support.

I wonder how large the difference will be from my previous uni, especially with regard to the fact that the trainer had 155 mm cranks, whereas this one has 140 mm. Hope the resulting setback wonā€™t be too large.

Yes, Iā€™ve measured my new uni when fully inflated (to 3.8 bar (55 PSI)) and it is indeed 65 cm. But still, 26" MUni would also have fat tires and thus be closer to 70 cm. Btw, I wonder about how will this uni do on paved roads since my trainer uni had road tires with maximum pressure of 50 PSI and this one allows 10% higher pressure. I expect the MUni to be more difficult turn due to the added friction, but better over bumps and perhaps more stable on the downhill sections.

1 Like

It will be differentā€¦ it has two cranks.:slightly_smiling_face:
As for tire and crank differences, Iā€™m sure you will figure it out. Good luck and have fun.

2 Likes

Congrat with your new Uni!

Shorter cranks makes it easier to have smooth pedaling in my opinion. Maybe you will feel the same with a short period of adjustment. And 140 mm is still quite long for general use.

Of course it depends on the surface but I suggest you try to also lower the pressure. Max pressure is not necessarily the right pressure. Lower pressure results in a more relaxed ride when the tire is absorbing smaller bumps and the like without you needing to react :slightly_smiling_face: I prefer somewhat lower pressure myself.

1 Like

Yes, two cranks are definitely an improvement :slight_smile: . As for the other things, itā€™s not too bad, Iā€™m figuring it out. It took me almost 15 minutes to land the first free mount, but it got better eventually.

Thanks! Yeah, I felt the same - smoother pedaling and a bit higher speed. I didnā€™t feel the kind of flailing legs I did on the trainer uni. When riding on a flat surface, itā€™s a breeze.

The pressure seems okay. Even at max. pressure it feels like Iā€™m riding a tank - it just rolls over everything in the way. The bumps that I used to be wary of, I donā€™t even feel now, while the bumps and cracks that seemed dangerous are now perfectly manageable.

The big issue is that the uni is much less nimble. I also think that it has a much lower Q-factor than the trainer as it does not wobble easily. This is good while going straight on a flat surface, but extremely annoying when I need to make faster turn or when riding on a surface with a sideway incline. I previously used the trainerā€™s propensity for wobble to deal with both factors (using a series of uncorrected half-wobbles in both situations), but itā€™s really hard to do this on the current uni. I therefore need to retrain my core to do this kind of stuff instead of my legs. Also, I tend to hit the frame with my left ankle a lot more than I used to - it seems that the foot position requires higher degree of precision on this uni.

Surprisingly, by far the biggest issue on this uni are the pedals - their pins to be more precise. While they are bigger than the pedals on the previous uni and the pins help to stabilize the foot on the pedal, they make it a lot harder to reshuffle the foot into a proper position in case of a sloppy mount. I guess Iā€™ll have to focus on learning how to reshuffle my feet on this uni, as my free mounts are still not very precise in general and even less so on this uni.

But itā€™s fun. Suddenly, obstacles became much less threatening and when approaching the end of pavement I started to feel a desire to try jumping down the kerb onto the road :slight_smile: . Not trying that anytime soon though :laughing: .

Great stuff! There will be a learning curve, but Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get used to it fairly quickly. 155cm cranks are really long, I think 140ā€™s will be a nicer length to ride with, but you may have issues at the start.
Can I ask what tyre you have on your new uni? Just because some are very heavy!

The 2.6" width should be good to ride about, and nice cushioning too for offroad riding. Itā€™s more effort than a skinnier tyre for road though. Anyway, enjoy!

1 Like

Itā€™s Vee Crow Gem 24x2.60. As for the weight, I weighed the uni today and surprisingly itā€™s exactly the same weight as the trainer, although it optically seems a lot bigger and even has a thicker (25.4 mm vs 22.2 mm) and longer (40 cm vs 30 cm) seat post. I expected it to be considerably heavier.

You can always put unpinned pedals on the uni if you prefer! Otherwise, you will eventually gain the ability to lift your foot off the pedal enough to unpin and reposition while riding. It might take a while before you get to that stage though (it did for me)ā€¦

Great!!!

If you donā€™t like the q factor or just feel like experimenting, you can always add pedal extensions. Theyā€™re quite cheap. I find they also make freemounting much easier as you are less likely to have your feet contacting the cranks if you donā€™t land them quite right.

I agree with @Gockie. You can change the pedals to something less aggressive.

If you still ride with both hands in the air, the decreased Q, decreased crank length and stickier tire will make turning more difficult. This is temporary, I assume. Once you start riding with one hand on the saddle, you will more than regain control.

And even better, you should be able to use your trainerā€™s set of pedals :wink:

OK, thanks everybody for those suggestions! :clap:

Unfortunately using pedals from my trainer is not possible, because it is now back at the Seller due to the warranty claim. :man_shrugging: In any case, the difficulties of the current uni are now a moot point. In the end, Iā€™ve decided to take the easiest way out and just went for a long ride (it was a very pleasant weather in the evening today). I ended up doing 14.5 km in about 2.2 hours and now I have no issues with the new uni anymore. It was tough at the beginning, but relatively okay by the end. The only problem is free mounting because the seat is a bit higher than Iā€™m used to, but Iā€™m coming to terms with that as well. Just adding some roll into the mount seems to help a lot. Itā€™s only a matter of practice now. :slight_smile:

I managed to break my speed record - my fastest km was 6:18 (it included like 3 mounts, all of which needed multiple tries, so itā€™s a good speed) and now Iā€™m generally able to stay below 10:00 per km, UPDs and all the mounting attempts included.

Great news that a long ride helped you adjust and enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, thanks for sharing all this. Itā€™s great to see and read about someone learning and improving in real time. Always love these stories.

Itā€™s also amazing to me how much unicycle riders fall in love with the sport and activity that the tale of ā€œI rode my unicycle until it failedā€ is just so common. Itā€™s like having the curiousity of a young child again where as soon as you become mobile the itch to see and do everything progresses faster than the machinery can keep up. And then we keep going. Dang, unicycling is so cool.

1 Like