Gumbo Mudding on an almost stock United

I’v done a small bit of urban off road and county “trails” riding on my 1.75" stock United. The tread is gone and the slick narrow surface is realy good for finding the bottom of a patch of mud.

I picked up a 2.1" nobby tire at Toys-R-Us for $10. The rim holds it fine. I CAN’T BELIEVE THE DIFERENCE. 1/1 grade hills that I crept down can be tackled at a fun pace without constant threat of sliding.

So after work I raced out to the hills that I used to bike on, “Little Colorado” (anybodyneed a Cannondale, BTW?) and attacked the red clay of Mississippi. I was shocked at what I could do- things I would have thought twice about on a bike.

I faught my way to the top of the main hill on the ride, took in the view, and started the decent just as a group of MTB’s started the last leg of their assent up the other side. I could hear them hooting and chearing each other on as they struggled up. I think there were at leaset five of them. 2 of 'em pulled up to a stop in the trail in front of me, more or less blocking the way, waiting on their comrads, who could be heard, but not seen. These guys were pumped, totaly stoaked over what they had just done- then one of them saw me. His face transformed from exaltant joy to deapest dispair in a fraction of a second. “No…no,no,nononoon”, he started babeling, then as I picked my way past them, “where is my camera” (not happy sounding), followed by “no one will believe me.” I was just about past the other guy when the first started calling for him to look. A moment later, I was bombing down another trail, just another fish story without a fish. I would have stoped to chat, but I loved the image of this guy trying to convince his buddies what he saw. I was there, clear as day, my signature writen in the mud- if they looked.

The decent was one of the most wonderfull experiences I have ever had. Mudy, root crossed gullies with bits of screa, pine needles and fraty-pan. I had 2 controlled, fatigue-induced dismounts on the way down- which was the longest, best run of mogals you’ve ever skied. As a mater of fact, MUni encapsolates most of the best things found in sking and adds a good deal more. What excitement, bombing down the hill… and the best part is, I didn’t have to pay a dime. Park truck, get out of truck, comence outrageous amounts of fun.

I can’t wait for tomarrow.

At first, I thought the life of the United could be extended for many months with this new tire. The rim is like cast iron, and the weight wasn’t that big a deal- untill I loaded the tire with mud. Now I see a new Sun rim in my near future… if the siren call of the Double Wide with 3" Gazz can be resisted. Lo, look ye upon the ruined bank accounts of braver Unicyclists than thee, and despair!

Christopher

> The decent was one of the most wonderfull experiences I have ever had.
> Mudy, root crossed gullies with bits of screa, pine needles and
> fraty-pan.

Addicting, isn’t it?

The 2002 California Mountain Unicycle Weekend will be in Santa Cruz; Bruce
Bundy (and possibly others) will be your host. The dates have not been
set, but you can start saving up now, between your purchases of expensive
hardware…

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
www.unicycling.com

“455 newsgroup messages in a year is only 1.24 per day…” - John Foss,
trying to explain to his wife

rhysling wrote:

<cool story snipped, but thanks!>

> At first, I thought the life of the United could be extended for many
> months with this new tire. The rim is like cast iron, and the weight
> wasn’t that big a deal- untill I loaded the tire with mud. Now I see a
> new Sun rim in my near future… if the siren call of the Double Wide
> with 3" Gazz can be resisted. Lo, look ye upon the ruined bank accounts
> of braver Unicyclists than thee, and despair!

The Gazz isn’t the greatest mud tire, as it doesn’t shed well and tends to
load up. I don’t know which tires are better about that, but I’ve noticed
mine getting really thick when I get into mud.

Greg

anything smaller than a 2.5 will be better in the mud!

that fat 3.0 is a dog in the muck…

“Greg House” <ghouse@spammenot.southwind.net> wrote in message
news:jgt08.29064$Vz3.2927112@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net
> rhysling wrote:
>
> The Gazz isn’t the greatest mud tire, as it doesn’t shed well and tends
> to load up. I don’t know which tires are better about that, but I’ve
> noticed mine getting really thick when I get into mud.
>
Gazzaloddis are wicked for mud when you can keep the speed up as they
clear out pretty quick. But the moment you get mud too deep to keep up
speed they clog up really hard. Did a race at the end of December and I
had to stop half way round at fifteen miles and spend a couple of minutes
just grabbing mud off the tyre and the forks.

If you’re going for speed and you’ve got good enough balance to cope
with the terrain you’re riding on a thinner tyre, it might be worth
trying panaracer fire mud tyres (1.8 inch wide) or something like that.
Fire mud seem to be pretty standard amongst bikers I’ve ridden with.
There’s also a gazzaloddi mud with more spacing between knobblies, again
a less wide tyre,
2.1 I think.

Joe

Well, 7 rides and 10 hours Non-Euclidean had me reaching down to tighten my pedal- only to find it plenty tight. Damn crank gave up the ghost. It’s not like I used it as a pogo-stick every day. Oh ya: whoops! I did.

The price tag on a Profile is nausiating (and is over a third more expensive than the same used in their BMX/MTB line- which is not stricktly equatable, but a good yard stick). Still, assuming that the Profile would last at least a year, The $350 price tag ain’t all that bad. If this is a trend, then I might expect the United cranks with a Suzue hub to fail criticaly about 6 times a year, setting me back $35 a pop, plus wheel rebuild and shiping- about $60, so about $360 a year, plus medical expences for the aftermath of the fit I would throw 'cus I had to walk home.

sigh

In other words: 'tis worth it. Probably would have just waisted the money on something like food and shelter, anyway.

By-the-way: you can find profile crank arms for $49 each, here:

http://www.danscomp.com

Christopher

Non-Euclidean…I like that. Were you tracing contours on the complex plane?

Has anyone tried Locktite (green) on these cheaper cranks to keep them from loosening? It might prevent this problem but certainly won’t keep them from breaking.