Grrrrrr!!!!

!!!********!!!*!!!!!!

Miyata seats! The front bolt holding the front bumper on… are they all like this?! Both my miyata seats have had this problem; now I’m TRYING to convert one into an airseat but making VERY slow progress. I’ve cut a groove in the top to use a screwdriver; no luck. I’ve drilled the bolt all the way through, still to no avail. I’m currently sawing the bolt in half as the last 4 hours attacking it has made enough space to get a hacksaw blade in. But it’s sooooo frustrating. Aaarghhhh!!!

Phil, just me, worked up

That was my experience as well. I had to cut the bolt off by using a dremil on the head of the bolt. Afterwards I pushed the bolt through. I haven’t had that problem after using a replacement bolt.

Are these just regular bolts? They make removers that you pu into your cordless drill, that look like bolts with pointy ends. They are reverse threaded, so when they bite down in your bolt, they reverse them right out.

The name escapes me.

Sears sells a set of 3 for $30cdn but you can get them at Cdn Tire for $5 a piece (not as good, and no fancy case)

The reverse threaded thing is a bolt extractor. The problem with these bolts is that there is a square section just below the head that is used to keep the bolt from twisting when the nut is being removed. If you force the bolt to turn, it will strip the base of the seat. This common problem wouldn’t occure if they would stop using lock-tight on the seat nuts. (Of course, you will have to periodicaly check to make sure the nuts are still secure.)

I did it eventually; I sawed the top of the bolt off and it fell out. I don’t have a replacement so at the moment my seat is without a bolt at the front; I’m hoping given it doesn’t usually have to take downwards force it’ll be okay until I can get a replacement.

What concerns me is how I’m going to fasten in a replacement. The problem with the first one was that while the rest are stopped from turning by a square hole in the metal, the front one is just in angled plastic which obviously isn’t hard enough to stay square. It’s now gone curved, so an identical bolt won’t work… I’m thinking of attaching a small metal plate to the seat with a square hole in it so I can get the blummin’ thing back on.

Anyway… off up the hill again soon. I think I may end up boiling to death, it’s fantastically sunny…

Phil, just me

Re: Grrrrrr!!!

what a pain in the ass.
“phil” <phil.7s5fc@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:phil.7s5fc@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I did it eventually; I sawed the top of the bolt off and it fell out. I
> don’t have a replacement so at the moment my seat is without a bolt at
> the front; I’m hoping given it doesn’t usually have to take downwards
> force it’ll be okay until I can get a replacement.
>
> What concerns me is how I’m going to fasten in a replacement. The
> problem with the first one was that while the rest are stopped from
> turning by a square hole in the metal, the front one is just in angled
> plastic which obviously isn’t hard enough to stay square. It’s now gone
> curved, so an identical bolt won’t work… I’m thinking of attaching a
> small metal plate to the seat with a square hole in it so I can get the
> blummin’ thing back on.
>
> Anyway… off up the hill again soon. I think I may end up boiling to
> death, it’s fantastically sunny…
>
> Phil, just me
>
>
> –
> phil - I meant to fall off like that, ok?
>
> “Cattle Prods solve most of life’s little problems.”
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> phil’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/19301
>

I have been following the various tales of myata seats as I am considering a similar operation myself.

I think that Yoopers all-thread solution is the one to go for. For pictures see http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Miyata-seat-conversion and there are instructions around on the board somewhere.