Grind Plate Tutorial on unicycle.2ya.com

Hi everyone,
I just added a written tutorial on how to build grind plates to the ‘Street Skills’ page on www.unicycle.2ya.com
It was written by a friend of Andrews and is pretty helpful, i suggest you check it out.
Also Andrew is busy resizing the last two KH tutorials for the Trials page so they should come soon, along with many more links, tips and tutorials.
Don’t be shy send us in any tip on any trick you have written or even better a video tutorial you have made! Anything is greatly appreciated and remember it is helping the good of the unicycling community! Also we give you full credit for anything you give us so don’t be afraid of not getting recognised.

Thanks

Peter

A bit more of a suggestion than a tip but it wouldn’t hurt to add a few pictures.

Yeah I realise it is looking a bit bare, I could put up the pics (which are in the word document you can dowload) but the only thing stopping me is we really want the pages with the tips on them to dowload quickly for all those people with slow internet connections, and putting pics on might make it too slow. But I’ll ask Andrew about it, thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Grind Plate Tutorial on unicycle.2ya.com

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:16:17 -0500, “munimanpete” wrote:

>Yeah I realise it is looking a bit bare, I could put up the pics (which
>are in the word document you can dowload) but the only thing stopping me
>is we really want the pages with the tips on them to dowload quickly for
>all those people with slow internet connections, and putting pics on
>might make it too slow. But I’ll ask Andrew about it, thanks for the
>suggestion.

That’s a very good point. More people are on dial-up than most
internet aficionados realise.

On the other hand, it is possible to make pics quite fast-loading.
Reduce the picture size (resolution) and then resave using a low JPG
quality number. Experiment to find the best compromise, depends also
on picture content. Be aware that in many programs, you have to close
and reopen a jpg to see the compression artifacts.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

I guess what we really need is more people to express their opinion on the issue of pictures. I personally really like, as Peter said, have the pictures linked to so the pages load really quickly if you don’t want to see pics. I’ll get those KH vids up soon. Kris sent us another muni video too…I’ll sort that out as well.

Andrew

I think you should make a note that if you download the full copy it includes pictures.

From the site:
"To download a full set of instructions on building grind plates, with pictures , to your computer Right Click the above link and select ‘Save Target As’ "

So yeah it does say it has pictures.

the link to the document w/ pictures dosent work

New Email…

Can everyone please use my new email address (see signature) now for all emails to me. Thanks.

Peter,
Can you please update my email address on the site? That won’t result in me getting any spam will it? (because it’s displayed on a public site?) Gmail is absolutely brilliant!

Thanks,
Andrew

Sorry bout that one Pete :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey andrew how did you get GMail… I can’t see where to sign up. Also will you be using that for msn now?

THANKS A LOT FOR THAT!
Lucky you noticed, I have fixed the link now so it is working (or it should be anway) so the grind plate tutorial is free to download now.
Please anybody if you notice any other broken links or similar problems PLEASE let me know and i’ll get them fixed, the last thing we want is a website that doesn’t work!

Andrew:
I have updated your email address on the site, and no it shouldn’t result in you getting spam (did you notice any on you old email after the site was made?) oh and check you old email because i sent you a letter yesterday.

I would suggest hiding the email address by encoding them with hex codes or Unicode codes rather than leaving the mailto link as plain text. A plain text email link is toooo easy for a spam bot to find and pick up.

There are a bunch of email address encoders on the web. I’d avoid the ones that use JavaScript because not everyone enables JavaScript in their browser.

Some encoders are:

http://la-samhna.de/library/encoder.html

Re: Grind Plate Tutorial on unicycle.2ya.com

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 02:45:43 -0500, “andrew_carter” wrote:

>I guess what we really need is more people to express their opinion on
>the issue of pictures. I personally really like, as Peter said, have
>the pictures linked to so the pages load really quickly if you don’t
>want to see pics.

Even while I’m still on dial-up, I generally like it if pictures are
loaded together with the text so that it’s less of a hassle to see all
intended content. Provided the pictures are web-optimised and
therefore small.

Someone like Andrew can set up Internet Explorer to not download and
display pictures, so that the page loads much quicker. In my version
of IE, that’s set under Tools - Internet Options - Advanced -
Multimedia - Show Pictures.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Peter,
No I didn’t notice an increase in spam when you made the site…I’m just paranoid about spam as I have a spiffy new email account now and don’t want a single item of spam to get through (wishful thinking probably). What do you think about what John said?

John,
Thanks for yet another handy set of links and info. :slight_smile:

Klaas,
You make a good point about it being nice to get the images and text all together in one step.

Peter (again),
What do you think about adding the images in in a lower size and resolution with the text and have the full version that you can download with the higher-res stuff? I’ll leave it up to you. I’ll be happy either way.

Andrew

Andrew,
Yeah I suppose in the Grind Plate tutorial it has a lot of references to the pictures so i’ll resize them etc and put them on.

About the spam thing, its up to you really, if your really worried about getting spam i’ll do what John suggested, but like you said you and i both haven’t recieved any spam since the sites creation, and i have had a load of sites before and NEVER recieved spam as a result of them. Its up to you.

Make sure that your “etc” includes playing with jpg compression setting. It can make a lot of difference to filesize without being overly noticeable on picture quality!

Klaas Bil

I think I would like you to do what John said if it’s not too much trouble. It’s just that I was really lucky to get this Gmail account and I don’t want anything to go wrong. If it involves too much work though it’s okay to leave it as it is.

Also, I agree with what Klaas said. Image compression makes a big difference.

Thanks,
Andrew

Right, due to popular demand resized, smaller filesize pictures to go with the grind plate tutorial are now up.
Go there and enjoy!

Excellent! You got that done quickly. I was just thinking, what about adding a link to Klaas’ coker wheel rollout thing (see recent thread) in the Miscellaneous section? That section needs filling out. Just a thought.

Andrew

Okay I Andrew I’ll work on that. I had a play around with one of the links John gave and it worked well so when i get the time i’ll apply it to the site.

Everybody else- any other feedback, suggestions, comments, ideas, or questions about the site??? don’t be shy

EDIT: and i’ll add that link Klaas gave in his thread as well.