Gorgeous day with my Dog

On such a gorgeous day in New York I had to skip the New York Unicycle club meeting at Grant’s Tomb today to take my Dog (Bubbie), for some much needed exercise.

About a week ago I was driving around my new neighborhood, you know just looking for patches of woods that could hold some hidden, magical bike trails. Let’s just say I wasted a lot of gas and was very disappointed. So I went home and typed my new address in google maps (thanks entirely to this forum) and like ¼ mile from my house is Belmont Lake State Park. I looked it up on the web and I see that it’s huge! Then I read that it’s a dog friendly park, and then I read it has bicycle paths. I couldn’t ask for better so close to home, so Bubbie and I hopped in my car that day, found an entrance to the park and we hit the trails. I was surprised to find wide, hard packed dirt with a fine gravel on top. We were both in heaven! We went a very short distance that day because it was getting dark. I really wanted to see the whole park but there was no time. Almost every night since I have taken my dog there after work and we saw basically the same terrain, hard packed dirt, smooth, with fine gravel.

Well today was the day. Thanks to Adam (Justonewheel) calling and waking me up before the day ended, I ate, had my coffee and hit the trail. What I found was a mix of everything in one park. Path’s, roads, dirt trails and some hardcore MTB trails. You can see by the pictures I post. I went around the actual lake twice, but there are smaller trails veering off in different directions, I have to investigate without the dog. It goes a few miles north of where I rode today.

So Bubbie and I really had a great time and she is sound asleep on her bed while I’m writing this.

I saw a garage sale up the block and am about to head over there on the unicycle. Maybe they have one for sale. Peace!

belmont lake 007.jpg

belmont lake 016.jpg

She’s like, “I’m not going through that!”

belmont lake 020.jpg

This goes under the Southern State Parkway.

belmont lake 022.jpg

and heres the lake…

belmont lake 030.jpg

Sounds like a really fun ride! I wish I had a big uni that I could really cruise on. I guess I’ll just have to wait until Xmas when I get my Coker…:frowning:

Re: Gorgeous day with my Dog

“shibumi” <shibumi@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:shibumi.1pehbx@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> On such a gorgeous day in New York I had to skip the New York Unicycle
> club meeting at Grant’s Tomb today to take my Dog (Bubbie), for some
> much needed exercise.
>
> About a week ago I was driving around my new neighborhood, you know just
> looking for patches of woods that could hold some hidden, magical bike
> trails. Let’s just say I wasted a lot of gas and was very
> disappointed. So I went home and typed my new address in google maps
> (thanks entirely to this forum) and like ¼ mile from my house is Belmont
> Lake State Park. I looked it up on the web and I see that it’s huge!
> Then I read that it’s a dog friendly park, and then I read it has
> bicycle paths. I couldn’t ask for better so close to home, so Bubbie
> and I hopped in my car that day, found an entrance to the park and we
> hit the trails. I was surprised to find wide, hard packed dirt with a

Kinda sad you that need a car to get to a park that’s 1/4 mile away.

Dogs love unis and are easily wheel trained. The command is, of course, “WHEEL,” but what they learn to respect is the crank and pedal.

Re: Re: Gorgeous day with my Dog

I live in a neighborhood with no sidewalks, lot’s of through traffic and a dog running somewhere out in front of me on a 26’ retractable leash. Can you see the end results? :smiley: If I didn’t have her with me, I would have ridden there.

She loves to run with me but she is still afraid of the Uni. She just stays clear. With time I guess she’ll get used to it.

Cool Riding

Looks like a great ride. Don’t worry I ride 5-8 mile a day with Lucy(my dog) and she still thinks i’m going to splatter her. Any type of drops or short launch areas. Its great to have local quality riding!! I’ll have to check it out! It should help build your endurance for the Greenbelt rides.
The next ride will be JUNE 4th at 10:30am. Dont wake up at 10:15!!!
Chow

Adam

Re: Cool Riding

Do you mean waking up at 10:15 might cause you to miss chow or do you mean “ciao?”

OT: Nice looking pooch. Is that Bubbie as in grandmother?

Is that a Sun 28 inch unicycle in the pictures? If it is, how is it holding up? I am thinking seriously abut getting one because they are cheap. I have a SUN 24, and it is good, but I want a larger wheel now.
Mark

On Sunday I took my dog out for a walk on my uni for the first time…had a surprisingly easy time of it, except when Cosmo needed to stop and take a leak. Unfortunately for him and for me, I can’t idle yet and inadvertently gave him a tug each time he lifted his leg. I did get some nice smiles from some cute neighborhood girlies along the way. I’ll definitely keep riding for our walks…especially when my 24-incher arrives.

Justin

Re: Re: Cool Riding

I think he means both. Last time I almost missed the bagels.

Yes as in grandmother, but I got the name from always calling my pets “bubbie” as a term of endearment.

Hey Mark, I have been riding my Sun 28" on the trails for a few months and I can tell you it has taken a lot of abuse. It’s still in perfect condition. I don’t really beat on it, but I ride over everything. Curbs, steps, roots and other small drops.

As for the girls? If they see you on a uni, they look. If they see you on a uni with a dog? They want to talk…Good Dog!!

Yep, unis are awsome ice-breakers for talking with hot chicks.

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something’s wrong about that post…

Works with cold chicks too…

Justin