Good editing program..

I need a free good editing program for a video, any recommendations?

i’ve recently got a new camcorder that has this h.264 codec, so i’ve spent a ton of hours searching.

really, there’s nothing good for free. you can either illegally download something and somehow get a key, or buy.

i’m eventually gonna put out the 100$ and get something. but for the moment i downloaded quick time pro(30$), which seems to be the cheapest thing that supports h.264. it also does…the bare minimum.

if your camcorder puts out .avi files or something windows supports, your best free thing is gonna be windows movie maker.

Fair play :L umm looks like ill have to spend some money then :L

If you want to pay the money, get Sony Vegas!
Itll never let you down lol. And is fairly easy to use.

I don’t know if there is a port for widoze, but Cinelerra is very good and free, but it’s for linux as far as I know.

i downloaded Sony Vegas, but it says its not compatible with my version of windows, is this because im running vista :confused: any ideas?

I DL’d sony vegas pro 9 (latest vers.) and it installed perfectly fine on my PC; I’m also running vista, but home premium. Check your requirements to see if you have enough ram and everything.

Anyway, I’ve tried pinnacle and most recently vegas pro 9, but I just can’t figure either one of them out. Well, to be honest, I could, but don’t have either the patience or the time. I’ll stick with windows movie maker until something better comes along that is as easy. MM is like an old friend to me, and I’ve used it for all my 200+ videos, and I just love how easy and user friendly it is.

It’s all about the footage anyway, not all the bells and whistles, imo. All I really care about is getting the raw footage into the timeline, cutting out the fat, piecing it together in an interesting way, adding titles and music…done. :slight_smile:

agreed.
all i need is the split function, the ability to add titles, and the double speed/half speed effect. unfortunately quick time pro has none of that, and if it does i haven’t figured it out.

I DL’d sony vegas pro 9 (latest vers.) and it installed perfectly fine on my PC; I’m also running vista, but home premium. Check your requirements to see if you have enough ram and everything.

+1

I would be using WMM but my camera records in .mov (QuickTime) and WMM won’t edit it. :frowning:

I got a program that came with my camera… and it’s the worst program ever!!! It’s even worst than WMM, and it says “Profesionnaly looking videos”… Anyway, I’m gonna try Cinelerra(fifth post), I hope it’s better than WMM:p

Final Cut FTW!! iMovie is good too
Too bad your on a windows :stuck_out_tongue:

MM allows me to save finished videos in a wide variety of formats, including 1080p. I usually use 1280x720 HD, and the quality is awesome. :sunglasses:

Vegas is like that, but can also do more handy, widely used formats. :slight_smile:

Sony vegas 9 platinium or pinnacle studio 12.

if you want to edit in WMM just dowloan xilisoft video converter, it is very easy to understand and use + it converts to almost any file that exists.

sorry for doublepost :stuck_out_tongue:

nah, the converters are very impractical.

i tried 2 of em, and the average 1 minute clip would take about 5+ minutes to convert(i record a minimum of an hour of video). and the resulting file would only work in windows media player, not windows movie maker.

when i get the money i’m probably getting pinnacle.

wow thats weird :thinking: mine converts 10 min clips in like a minute and works for everything that i have tried yet :thinking:

try one of these they are all free but a lot of them will not be available on windoze.

My choice is Any Video Converter.
I have converted thousands of vids using it and have only run into problems with less than 20.
Just Google the name :smiley: