Good Cheap 140mm Cotterless?

Hey Ya’ll
I’m looking for some cheap, fairly good, 140 mm cotterless cranks to go on my 24 inch Stealth Torker. I don’t need anything too good because the uni it’s going on ain’t all that great. Looking at unicycle.com, I don’t see too many options. Here are the links to the ones I’ve found:
Lasco $25
Schwinn $14
Monty $69 (don’t want to pay that much)

Are there any other cranks I didn’t see? What do you think?

Daniel

I was going to suggest Dotek 140mm cranks, but they’re ‘indefinitely out of stock’ at unicycle.com. You could try getting a pair of BMX Dotek 140mm cranks from www.bikepartsusa.com orclick here and cut off the spider. I needed to grind down the remnant of the spider to mount the crank properly on my tuni. They seem to be quite strong but I haven’t done any drops bigger than about 2 feet so far.

Tony

Re: Good Cheap 140mm Cotterless?

Monty: not worth the money
Lasco: WAY not worth using - avoid like the plague
Schwinn: don’t know
Dotek: Great buy if you can find them

—Nathan

“daino149” <daino149.nb2yb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:daino149.nb2yb@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Hey Ya’ll
> I’m looking for some cheap, fairly good, 140 mm cotterless cranks to go
> on my 24 inch Stealth Torker. I don’t need anything too good because
> the uni it’s going on ain’t all that great. Looking at unicycle.com, I
> don’t see too many options. Here are the links to the ones I’ve
> found:
> ‘Lasco’ (http://tinyurl.com/bjag) $25
> ‘Schwinn’ (http://tinyurl.com/bjah) $14
> ‘Monty’ (http://tinyurl.com/bjai) $69 (don’t want to pay that much)
>
> Are there any other cranks I didn’t see? What do you think?
>
> Daniel

Re: Re: Good Cheap 140mm Cotterless?

Can you elaborate? It was my understanding that the Monty cranks are as close to unbreakable as cotterless cranks get.

I know that doesn’t mean much when that spectrum caps out at Profiles, but I think it means something when your money caps out before you can get to Profiles.

Or are they just not as solid as I was lead to believe?

I love the montys on my 20" trials uni…but I’m still not really an equipment breaking type rider.

Are you buying new cranks because you broke the ones that came with the stealth? If so, that should really influence your decision. If you broke the stealth’s cranks, lasco is not the way to go. I think the stealth has Lascos or something similar.

I don’t know much about cranks, but I’ve heard great things about the Bicycle Euros… is your heart set on 140mm?

Stay away from the Lascos.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

All US Presidents have worn glasses. Some just didn’t like being seen wearing them in public.

I didn’t break the old cranks (though I did break the hub on my 20 inch Stealth :D). I just want a crank shorter then the 150’s it came with, but longer then the 127’s I have on now.

Thanks for the help, though I still don’t know what I’m going with.
Daniel

The Montys are out of stock in 140mm according to the uni.com link. Just click on crank length. They were popping off the axles because they wouldn’t seat properly, last I heard and it created a safety hazzard. I guess they haven’t figured out how to fix the problem yet.

they told me to get Euros after my Lascos busted. I havent ordered them yet, I think they are heavy steel. Don’t get Lascos

I tried the Monty 140s and they didn’t seat quite right on my Coker Suzue.
However Scot Cooper has put in easily 1000+ miles on his no problem…

—Nathan

“teachndad” <teachndad.ncvzy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:teachndad.ncvzy@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> The Montys are out of stock in 140mm according to the uni.com link.
> Just click on crank length. They were popping off the axles because
> they wouldn’t seat properly, last I heard and it created a safety
> hazzard. I guess they haven’t figured out how to fix the problem yet.