Goal: 2010 Los Angeles Marathon (on Coker)

My goal for years has been to run the LA Marathon.
But due to knee problem, can only run 3miles or so before it stiffens up. Then I was inspired by Loren(on this forum) who did the 2009 cycle marathon on his Coker…

Registrations begins Sept 1, 2009
If you’re near LA, join us!

Loren if you’re reading this, I’ll see you March 1, 2010 at the Dodger Stadium!
More updates to come…

If anyone is interested there is a Marathon here in Mexicali Mexico and Unicycles are welcomed.

Date Time Name Distance
Dec. 13 8:00 MARATON GOVERNADOR CENTRO CIVICO 42.195 KM

Mexicali is very new to unicyclist. I believe only my family members are unicyclist here. However there are a few that are more circus unicyclist. If you are interested in any Marathons or half Marathons we have a website with a calendar where you can check out the races and their time location etc… However everything is in Spanish.

The website: http://monociclos.net

You can post in english if you have questions.

Just got back from summer vacation and read this post.

Yes, (knock on wood) I would be very interested in doing the LA Marathon/Acura bike ride again for 2010 hoping family or work obligations don’t derail it, but much more likely than not, I’ll be there.

Looks like for 2010 the course will be to the beach, which will be fun and interesting (how do you get back to your car?). I’m sure we’ll figure it out.

I plan to try to use shorter cranks this year, since with 150s on largely flat terrain it took a little less than 3 hours (which is slow for a bike) but, I knew I could keep a better pace with shorter cranks. I assume the course will avoid any major hills again in 2010.

Stay in touch and hopefully see you and other unicyclists who are interested there.

(BTW when I was riding some guy went up to me and said, “Didn’t you do this last year on a smaller unicycle?”. 2009 was my first time so I know there are others out there.)

Loren

I’m in! I didn’t realize they would allow unis for this. I ran it many years ago. Ali was the honorary at the starting line, we were all chanting Ali! Ali! as we went past him. Great memories.

Hi leadpan! Are you talking about this LA marathon: http://lamarathon.com/ ?

If so, I’m a little confused because I don’t see any mention of being able to cycle it.

From the FAQ on the site:
Are skates, skateboards, bikes or carriages of any kind allowed on the LA Marathon course? No, if you are caught on the Marathon course with any of these, you will be directed off the course immediately.

Please correct me if I’ve got the wrong event. I might be interested! :slight_smile:

Held in conjunction with the LA Marathon, “The Acura LA Bike Tour, in which 15,000 people cruise the car-free streets on their bikes, is taking place on race day.
For registration, please visit the LA Marathon official website”

So far, they have no 2010 registration info up yet, and there’s a question as to whether marathon officials have scrapped the bike tour part. We’ll just have to wait and see. All I know is that the last one was 20, not 26.2 miles.

I’d like to do it. Do you know how much it usually costs to register?

Yes, it’s odd that the marathon folks don’t say anything about the bike tour on their site. Or on the e-mails they send (I’m now on their list).

I did google and found this site:

which is of unclear reliability which says:

Greetings Friends of the LA Bike Tour:
In an effort to ensure a world-class experience, we’ve decided that the 2010 LA Bike Tour will not be held Marathon morning, as it historically has been. We’ll share further details once they’re available and look forward to hosting a great bike event later next year.

Never got such an e-mail so not sure if this is true. (Wait, it’s on the internet, it’s gotta be true).

So if anyone hears anything official, please share.

It cost $43.60 for the 2009 race. I think it was $40 + $3.60 for some miscellaneous fees.

I e-mailed the marathon folks and they quickly replied and said:

"Hello Loren,

Thank you for contacting the Los Angeles Marathon. With the logistics
of the new course, we are working to reinvent the Bike Tour for the 2010
year. The Bike Tour will not be the morning of the marathon and we will
provide you with additional details about the event in the next few
weeks. Please let me know if you have any additional questions."

So the blog was dead on.

Hey folks and Loren,
Not sure if this event will happen or not. :thinking: Will keep updating.
I also got same response from the LA Marathon folks:

Thank you for contacting the Los Angeles Marathon. With the logistics of the new course, we are working to reinvent the Bike Tour for the 2010 year. The Bike Tour will not be the morning of the marathon and we will provide you with additional details about the event in the next few weeks. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Megan Cavan
LA Marathon | 310.271.7200 x101 | www.lamarathon.com