gliding help

hi, Im having trouble learning to glide… how should I start :thinking: zis it easier to go down a hill? thanks

Miles

I’m having trouble with gliding, but my trouble is with getting into it from riding, I seem to always fall forwards. Something is telling me I’m leaning to far forward. Any tips on this would be great.

Jas

same here, people are telling me i have to learn to one foot wheel walk first, but ive seen people just ride fast and put there feet up
do you really have to one foot ww first?

Yeah befor you learn to glide you NEED to learn one footed ww, well it make things way easier…

Why can’t you just transition to gliding from one-foot pedalling? One foot is already in position (on the crown) so wouldn’t it be a natural progression to raise the other foot off the remaining pedal, to the top of the tire, once you’re moving smoothly? (And slightly DH would probably help too.)

I’m not sure of the official way to do it. But the way i learned was just by learning to wheel walk very well first. Eventually i started wheel walking down hills and slowly let the tire slip under my feet and after a couple times i got. SO basically the moral from MY story is to learn to wheel walk very well. But remember that gliding is very difficult and dont expect to learn it in a afternoon

You don’t need ww or 1 foot ww to get into gliding but you need to to be able to glide. It sort of depends on preference when I learned how to glide I was really good at normal ww but I could barly 1ft ww at all. I just went from ww to gliding on a hill and I made alot of progress. After I learned how to glide then of course 1 foot ww was then really easy for me. Gliding is really similar to 1 foot wheel walk and if you can already do the 1 foot wheel walk then gliding will probably come alot easier.

The problem with this is that for a brief moment while your foot is moving from the pedal to the tire, you have no contact with the wheel. You would have to execute a half-second or quarter-second coast before you can start the glide. It’s amazing how fast the wheel can shoot out from under you. While this isn’t impossible to learn, it just adds more difficulty to an already difficult skill. My preferred method for entering a glide starts from riding normally. On foot A’s downstroke I move foot B to the tire and as soon as contact is made, I lift foot A to the frame. This way one of my feet is always in contact with the wheel and I can exert some kind of control.

It shouldn’t be surprising that this is exactly the same procedure I use to enter a one-foot wheel walk. I suppose one could learn gliding without learning wheel-walking first, but the two skills share the same posture and foot positions. Since your legs are higher and more forward than during normal riding, your position of balance is different from normal riding. Learning wheel walking allows you to become comfortable with this new position. Then learning to glide is simpler because you’re already halfway there so you can focus only on the aspects that differ.

I learned to glide by finding the steepest hill I could. Then I fell down a lot. I don’t know if that was the best way, but even now I find that smaller incline and lower speed makes gliding harder. If you know how to one-foot wheel walk, then your instinct will tell you to lift your foot from the wheel occasionally to make corrections. Resist this temptation! It is very important for your stability that your foot does not leave the tire. Instead, learn to make corrections by shifting your weight forward or backwards. I never had much problem with side-to-side balance, only forward-backward. There are two tools you have to control your balance in this dimension. The first is how hard you press on the wheel. The harder you press, the more friction there is, the slower the wheel will go. The second method of control should be movement of the middle of your body, your hips. If you feel you are falling forwards (you are moving faster than the wheel), thrust your hips back while keeping your upper body over the wheel. This lets you get behind the wheel and push it fowards to keep up with you. If you feel you are falling backwards (the wheel is moving faster than you are), you have a choice. You can push on the wheel hard with your foot to slow it down or you can thrust your hips forward and arch your back. This lets you get in front of the wheel to slow it down. You will fall a lot, but eventually you will learn how to use these movements to keep yourself within the small envelope of balance.

I was thinking maybe that the first foot on the crown could also be in partial contact with the tire, until the other foot is raised into tire-contact position.

What about seat height? does that make a difference?

I prefer to glide with a higher seat post, this gives you m,ore leg room so you dont put too much friction on the tire. When I was learning I had hte problem of pushing to hard on hte tire so I wouldnt glide more than a few feet… It does help to learn to ww 1 footed first, not a requirement but very usefull. Learning on a hill really helps ya to learn for sure. If your falling to far warward when you ride into it then…lean further back ;-). What I tried doing when I was learning to ride into it( I also fell forward alot) I would give a lil kick forward on the wheel to push me the small bit back that I need… But best thing is to just try to lean a lil more back.

Ok thx. Ill practise my 1 foot WW somemore. Thanks for the info.

Miles

when i glide i just bring both feet off the pedals almost at the same time. i think its easier then doing it from 1 foot riding.