Girls dig the unicycles

First off, (I start all my posts that way… i guess)

Anyway, Two incidents in this past few weeks got me thinking. I have met more girls riding on my uni then I have… EVER.

Now I’m a 18 year old boy who not many consider UGLY, not that i know of anyway, and some people consider cute. Well i actually believe my features are rounded and plain and I think no one would go out of their way to meet me or date me but then again.

When I unicycled the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life, Many girls came up to me and talked to me (only 76% about the uni, surprisingly).

So tonight i went to the park to see how I could do at tricking off the playground and (to my surprise) a group of girls invited me over to talk to them. They actually talked to me about ME for the most part. Of course I got all the usual questions, but after that it was just about me personally.

Just curious. Have any of you fellow unicyclists find that you are attracting the attention of the opposite sex with your uni?

I find that both guys and girls like it. But girl’s do love it, yeah.

I once (long ago) had alot of luck with the ladies,but i ever since the move out here to Howland its hard to score,cause…well…im the only one here.

The last woman i saw was Amilia Airheart and she didnt stick around that long.After her crash she didnt feel to well.We chated awile but she passed shortly after.God bless that gal,She almost made it home.

And I quote myself.

“I’ve been striking out all over the place with the ladies. Hopefully they’ll feel bad for me since I ride such an ugly unicycle. Worst scenario, they’ll continue to hate me like they do. It’s a win-win situation. I’ll keep you guys updated.”

Any people can dig unicycles ‰Š

I find that Unicycling is a conversation starter for both sexes like James mentioned. I think that guys dig unicycles far more than girls though, judging by the ratio of men vs women who participate in the forum. Men are worse equipped for Unicycling since their bodies require “Balls breaks” to maintain circulation in the saddle region so it is suprising that more women do not participate. I have only once met a female unicyclist. A few girls have tried to ride my unicycle ages ago, but none could actually pedal very far. Recently I was riding my Wilder past a Backpacker lodge and a girl from overseas started talking to me. She claimed to have a Unicycle at her home, and rode mine with bare feet for a few meters. I should have stopped and talked for longer but I was in a hurry to go up the Huatoki walkway and I bailed off without introducing myself.

In the real world (the scary place outside the forum) I think, around half the unicyclists are female.

btw. here’s a good unicycle quote:

I find that very difficult to believe. I think the percentage of people who post on this forum who are female are representative of the real world statistics. In the Unicyclist Roster I challenge you to find one country in which women represent half of the entries. It is a bit hard to tell because you have to judge by names, and not everyone who rides a unicycle registers. In the real world I have met maybe 30 unicyclists in person, and of those, one is female. If you make a poll asking “Are you a boy or a girl?” I am sure numbers of male unicyclists would be higher.

There’s about 1 in 20 female unicyclists here in Brisbane. I’m not sure why though, it’s a shame really.

Andrew

I don’t believe the ratio is 1:1
I sure believe that there is an overwhelming majority of male internet users though. I wouldn’t correlate the male/female ratio of participants in this forum with the real world situation.

If I go to unicycle track races (here in Switzerland), the female unicylists outnumber the male ones by at least a factor of 4.

And it’s the same in both clubs where I unicycle. It’s mostly girls that unicycle (freestyle, races, hockey).

Cheers,
Franz

He did say outside the forum, hence we can probably take this to mean outside of the roster on unicycling.org as well.

It’s going to be pretty hard to validate that statement, as the proportion of unicyclists, and the proportion of serious unicyclists are two different things, the latter is much easier to judge.

From the very few unicyclists I’ve met (all people who’ve just seen me about, and stopped to talk… around 3), all were male.

Go off road on a Coker, then act like one of those suave outdoor types who say “hey” a lot. You will get dates!!!

Re: Girls dig the unicycles

even the prettiest unicycle could never compensate for the fact that I’m just too damn ugly.

Phil

Up here in the Top End, the majority of unicyclists are female. Although there aren’t many, there 5-6 female unicyclists (I think) and about 4 male. (The reason that I am being approximate is because I don’t know how people classify someone as a unicyclist or not. My ex-sports teacher (who is Japanese) saw me the other day and said that he’s only ever seen little Japanese girls ride unicycles and that his niece rode one to school everyday. I don’t know if he was just trying to say that I was like a little girl or whether he was just being friendly…

Thats me… still doesnt work.

I think there are more male unicyclists IN THE UK (and probably the US but I can’t say). However like the examples of Swizerland and Japan we have been given, other countries will have different distributions. I don’t think that this forum is a valid proof at all.

Re: Girls dig the unicycles

> Anyway, Two incidents in this past few weeks got me thinking. I have
> met more girls riding on my uni then I have… EVER.
>
> Now I’m a 18 year old boy who not many consider UGLY, not that i know
> of anyway, and some people consider cute. Well i actually believe my
> features are rounded and plain and I think no one would go out of
> their way to meet me or date me but then again.
>
> When I unicycled the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life, Many
> girls came up to me and talked to me (only 76% about the uni,
> surprisingly).
>
> So tonight i went to the park to see how I could do at tricking off
> the playground and (to my surprise) a group of girls invited me over
> to talk to them. They actually talked to me about ME for the most
> part. Of course I got all the usual questions, but after that it was
> just about me personally.
>
> Just curious. Have any of you fellow unicyclists find that you are
> attracting the attention of the opposite sex with your uni?

Yes, partly because my waist is shrinking, partly because yiking is so
utterly cool.

Triples: 8 (6-10) 55%-65% or 7 (5-9) 65%-70% or 6 (4-8) 70%-75% or 5
(3-7) 80%-85% 90%+: 3 (2-5) doubles or 7 (4-10) singles

I wonder what the ratio is in a large club like the Twin Cities Unicycle Club. Maybe someone from that club could enlighten us solo unicyclists out here. As for my family the ratio currently is 1 to 1. When my daughter gets old enough to reach the pedals, it will be 2 to 1 female. I personally have met more male unicyclists, but they are all Muni or Trails riders here in Atlanta.

PS Didn’t really get into this to meet the ladies, since the only lady I need is already at home.:smiley:

Signed One Happy Husband

As far as I can tell it’s pretty much a one to one among the top riders here.

Re: Re: Girls dig the unicycles

If I am correct in assuming that your avatar is a picture of yourself, I’d say you are quite handsome. :wink:

Nikki

A rough estimate based on the participants in the 2002 unicon sais about 45% of the unicyclists where female.

I could only be bothered to look at the first page of the list and I didn’t count the names i couldn’t figure out the gender from.

At the danish championships i think the girls outnumbered us by almost 3:1

the sex appeal comes from confidence, not a funny one wheeled bike thingy,
unicycling makes a unicyclist happy, and happy people are attractive people.