Giraffes with two chains

Going through some old USA Newsletters and On One Wheels I’ve seen pictures of giraffes with chains on both sides. Was this common once and are these still made? Is there any advantage to having two chains?

Thanks,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: Giraffes with two chains

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by JJuggle
[B]Going through some old USA Newsletters and On One Wheels I’ve seen pictures of giraffes with chains on both sides. Was this common once and are these still made? Is there any advantage to having two chains?

Thanks,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I can answer that for you JJuggle. It’s according to your Taste. (Why I don’t Know you may ask I agree) I remember watching The Allison’s many years ago when Rick Allison was riding a Twin Chain Driven Giraffe Unicycle and that blew me away. By the way The Allison’s are famous here in Australia for their Juggling & Unicycling Antic’s and I Personally Love them. So it’s depends on what you want or whatever. DM Enginerring has got one brand new. Check them out on their Website or unicycle.com Juggleart Warehouse In Melbourne have one too. Check other website’s around and good luck. Any other’s besides me for example. David.
:sunglasses:

For extra strength. Do you want to be riding a six foot giraffe 10-15 mph and having your chain snap?

DM giraffes do.

It’s because the two chainrings can be offset by half a tooth from each other. This means you don’t get anywhere near as much chain slack when you change directions. DM giraffes feel much more like a heavy normal unicycle to idle than a single chain. On a normal giraffe you always get a little bit of play when the chain engages the other side of the chainring teeth.

Joe

Yer,
I can definatly feel a difference between my twin chained DM, and the Unicycle clubs single chained Nimbus giraffe. twin chained ones feel more sturdy i reckon!

Joe,

Semcycle also used to offer their giraffe in a double chain version. Don’t know when they stopped doing this.

Double chain advantages:

• Safer; two chains are better than one
  • tighter drivetrain; less play
  • Looks very cool. I like they way they look

Double chain disadvantages:

• More parts = more weight
  • Moe parts = costs more
  • Tension adjustment is harder to get right
  • Off-centered sprockets can compound the difficulty of tension adjustment
  • If chains wear unevenly again it can be hard to maintain proper tension

Overall, I think you’re better off with two loose chains than a single no-so-loose one. Double chain giraffes are cool, but I have a feeling cost may have been the reason for Semcycle to stop offering it.

I was thinking… Would it make sense that maybe the double chained giraffes wouldn’tbend the frame? Because if you had a single-chained giraffe, and you were hard on it, and tensioned the chain alot, couldn’t it develop some bend in the metal (bent towards the side with the chain. would this be a reason? does it happen? just curious.

-Ryan

No, the tugging from a tight chain is nothing compared to the strain the frame gets even from when you idle lightly on it. Though double chains should eliminate the small amount of pulling to the side a frame gets with a single chain, the main tension comes along the front & rear of the frame as the chain tension pulls one way and then the other.

In frame failures, almost every one I’ve ever seen or heard of occurs above the bottom bracket (crank barrel/part of frame the cranks attach to). Usually they fail just above the bottom bracket. Unfortunately that remains the weak point with or without double chains.

Giraffe with two chains

I found the website for DM Engineering.
www.lds.co.uk/dmunicycles/giraffe.htm
I agree with John Foss. Semcycle seem to have cease production
or don’t make them anymore. Quite strange really though they would have them. If I have a 6’ to 8’ footer I’d rather have a Twin Chain driven giraffe. And I couldn’t agree more on what you all Said. I totally agree all.
David.
davidjmason@unicyclist.com :sunglasses:

would i be able to convert my single chain raffie to a double?