Giraffe unicycle riding

I’m glad my giraffe only goes about 10km/hr as UPD’s aren’t too bad at those speeds. UPD’s on 36ers at over 20km/hr can be painful and they are relatively low to the ground. Adding height into the mix at speed and there is a great chance for broken bones. I have longer chains and the extension for 7’ but I’ve only done it once and a dismount from that height once was enough to cause pain in my foot so I’m in no hurry to increase the height again.

How high is your penguin compared to a 36”? It sounds interesting but I already have a geared 36” that I can push to over 30km/hr if I feel like killing myself.

Any pictures? That sounds interesting!

I can do better than pictures. I had the foresight to create a video about this wonderful machine:

And a couple of blog posts about geared unicycles in general: Riding Faster on One Wheel: Geared Unicycles | Random ASCII – tech blog of Bruce Dawson

5 Likes

Hey, you’re that STP on a unicycle guy! I found that story very inspiring. I am a newer [Puget Sound area] unicyclist but I hope to complete at least a half marathon on a unicycle some day. (That’s the farthest run I have ever done, so thought it would be cool to do the same on a unicycle)

Yep, that’s me. I don’t ride much anymore but I’d be happy to ride along on a half-marathon ride sometime this summer. Doing a half-marathon distance on a unicycle is much easier (for me anyway) than running it, and there are some lovely routes.

1 Like

I rode that difference various times with the uni, but never ran that far. Nowadays I wouldn’t want to run further than 5 and I’d be thinking “if only I had my uni”. Im kinda lazy and prefer to sit while exercising. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had seen that before, but never knew it was yours. It’s a great build. I hope to build one at some point, maybe even this year, but I would try gearing it up higher.

I think “if only I had my uni” when in large stores, parking lots, and at school. Exercising while sitting is great and unicycling makes most things more fun.

I’m still in the unicycling is exhausting stage, mostly because I dont get nearly as much practice time as I would like, but I feel like I am getting closer… i get periodic short, 1-3 revolution periods, where I feel balanced and pedaling smoothly without a lot of pedal pressure, thinking “I got it!”, then suddenly, no I don’t, and the heart rate goes up as I feel I am going to lose it, over correct, and then try to correct for the over correction…
About 450m is my record without dismounting. I’ve got a ways to go to get to 13.1mi=21km.
It’s hard to imagine completing the STP on one!

1 Like

I think ur doing great. Just keep at it and ur body will get used to the feeling. Dont aim for 20km right away. Find some quiet areas to ride and try to reach 3-5km. When you can do that you’ll build up stamina for longer runs.
I generally ride 10-12km and that gets me real sweaty and I feel like ive had a good exercise.
Maybe now is a good time to focus on freemounting if ur not already.

1 Like