Giraffe Mounting

Hey all, this is how I mount my 5 ft giraffe:

Is this improper? I didn’t look before I started mounting like this, but I’ve noticed the left crank is a little crooked now. Could this be the reason why?

How most people start is you step on the wheel, then climb up the uni that way.

But am I ruining my giraffe by mounting the way I do? I’ve tried mounting by stepping on the wheel and it just doesn’t seem to work out for me.

no your not, My friend had the same problem, just ask the company you bought it from, I bet the chain is loose, or you probably stuck the cranks on backwards and are striping the threads

that look fine for that uni. I think the wheel method is more for my giraffe, because the pedals are higher.

Here are a couple pics of the crank. Note: this is a back view of the left crank, the one I step up on usually.

So how do I fix this exactly? Never had to put on the crank when I got it or at least don’t remember.

Is the crank bent, or did it come that way? Hard to tell from the picture. You can have a bike shop remove it, or buy a crank extractor tool. If it’s only a little bent and it doesn’t foul up your riding, don’t worry about it.

Your mount is fine, because it works. No problem going directly to the pedal if you can reach. To make it a little easier, when you put your second foot on the top pedal, pull it back a quarter turn. This will put the unicycle into a falling-forward position, but also put your feet into a better-leverage position so it’s easier to ride away. It can be hard to start with vertical pedals and dead-center balance.

It looks to me that the crank was manufactured that way. If it were that off center it woldnt stay on the axel.

“Climbing” the giraffe via the wheel and pedal certainly is challenging, but if you want to graduate to 6 ft and higher giraffes you’ll def. need to learn this technique.

What happens when you try the wheel method?

One thing that helps me is to imagine that a rope is attached to my head and it’s pulling me straight up. If you can keep your body moving up in a straight line you’re in good shape… keep your head up, your shoulders square, and do the mount quickly.

But not to quickly, Usually if you just shoot up you get up but have no ballance. I find that it is easier to do it slowly.

And if you are still having trouble learn to ride sif, then all you have to do is get up on the pedals ride out till your comfortable and shove the seat under.

This technique has uped my mounting from 1 in ever 3 tries to about 9 in every 10 tries.

You could these techniques too also. :smiley: :smiley:

I agree with what was said about that mount not working on a taller uni. I step on the wheel to mount. I know someone who mounts like you just stepping on the pedal, but he does it on a 6 ft and he’s like 6’6".

Mounting like that would help if you go uni to uni, dismounting a smaller uni onto the taller one…

Now that would be an impressive little party trick… :sunglasses:

have you seen this done?

I’ve done it, though not recently. I’ve seen it done up to maybe a 10-footer.

Ok, now I am wondering two things. First, you see on the left side there’s a (I’m at a loss for the name) metal washer-type thing that you can screw and unscrew? It comes loose every time I ride. Is this a problem, and what can I do to fix it?

Secondly, what are closed bearings and how do I get them? The bike shop guy said I have open bearings but didn’t explain what they are or what problems they cause. Help please!

Just do this mount intensively, and see what happens with the rest of your giraffe…

I think the part you are describing is called a bottom bracket lock ring. You do not want this to come loose! It is extremely common to have these loosen when riding a giraffe. My theory is that they are not tightened enough at the factory when they are assembled, as I have had to tighten them on every giraffe I have ever bought. At a pinch you can tighten them with a screwdriver and a hammer. Place the end of the screwdriver in one of the little notches and then hit the end of the screwdriver to rotate the lock ring around. Note that this method is less than ideal and you may make a mess of the notch.

The proper tool is a special spanner which has little hooks which fit into the notches in the lock ring. Your local bike shop should have one in their workshop kit and will be able to tighten it for you. If it is a recurring problem it may be worth buying one. Park tools do a nice one. I’ll dig out the part code for you. Unfortunately the park tools website is down at the moment so I can’t give you a link to a picture of the tool.

thats how i mount mine every time

The park tool you need is an HCW 5 crank lock ring spanner.

It turns out there are a few items with an HCW5 code. The one you want is called “BB lock ring tool double ended”, not a crank lock ring spanner.

Here is a picture:
http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photos/500/PT-HCW5-NCL-TOP.jpg