Giraffe Discussion Thread

Trials Uni & 3 wheeler multi-tasking question:

I have a Nimbus Trials Uni with Maxxis Creepy Crawler Tire. I’d like to buy a couple of the Nimbus extension kits:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1183

My plan is travel with my Nimbus Trials and pack the extension kits and mainly ride trials but also take part in a parade where I’d like to ride a 3 wheeler. So I thought I could add the extensions to my Nimbus Trials and off I’d go… Will this set up work or would I be better served to also replace my Maxxis Creepy Crawler with the same tire type as the extensions? I guess I can just try and see what happens? Thanks

(Oh I also own a Sun 5’ Giraffe, crappy but still a lot of fun)

Hey everyone, great thread.

I have started trying and have almost nailed a few seat wraps on my 5.5 foot Norco. I can seat wrap mount from the tire and almost seat wrap freemount as well. One offt riding was easier for me with a foot on the frame, but I can do it with the foot free.

Haven’t unispun yet, but I have seen the video and they look fairly easy compared to my street 20".

Hello, just built up a giraffe-uni, so here are some pics. Let me know what you think.

http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_itemId=568721

http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_itemId=568724

http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_itemId=568727

http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_itemId=568730

F.

What? No video of you riding it?

Very nicely done!

That’l have to wait till the weekend, I still need a fixed wheel sprocket for it, which will be put on with some epoxy-resin to hold it there. Good old e-bay for that in a bit. I just built it up for now with a freewheel the right size, to see what it looks like. It’s 2 ft 1 inch high from the ground to the dip in the seat.

F.

there is absolutely no point what so ever in this machine :s

I’ve asked UDC this and they said yes.

Since a trials tire is slightly smaller in diameter than a 20X1.95, slippage may be more of a problem at lower air pressures. You may want to try a larger tire on one or more of the 20’s (Schwalbe makes a 2.35" & others make 2.25 tires).

One concern was if the bearings on your current wheel weren’t 40 mm. If it wasn’t and it didn’t work (you could grind out the bearing surfaces on the extensions), it’d be on you. I’ve heard of people putting 42mm bearings in non-machined bearing caps w/ supposedly no problems.

Multi wheel unis are inherently not sturdy and don’t take UPD’s well (the extensions can bend making it hard or impossible to ride. It’s best to always catch it.

If it’s built as one unit, w/o extensions it can be stronger. You can only get those custom made, I believe you can still get it done at The Unicycle Factory.

Because?

Awesome. Can you ride it? The seat looks too low for it to be ridden. Still sweet though.

Not yet, as it’s built with a freewheel to see how it looks. I’m goin to town in a bit to see if theres a fixed wheel sprocket for it so I can ride it today, if not then I’m gettin one off ebay so I can ride it at the weekend.

F.

Just like weld up the bearings on the free wheel hub lol. I think that’s what my friend did when he made a giraffe.

Will the extensions from UDC attach to every brand unicycle or only to nimbuses. Will they attach to my Torker LX 20 in?

First vid, the other vid is processing.

Head tilting required.

F.

I was just sitting at my desk working when the doorbell rang: It was the delivery man with my brand new Torker giraffe!! I’m pretty excited to get out and learn to use it, but I don’t know how to put it together. I have no idea how to put something with a chain together, and the instructions that came with it aren’t very clear (at least to me) They say attach the chain adjusters, but they don’t say where…they just include a tiny hard to see black and what photo of the area. If anyone can let me know where I can find a little more information on giraffe assembly, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.

Yes, torker instructions seem like they are written by individuals that don’t speak english.

If you need any help just pm me or something if you havent figured it out yet I built mine up awhile back.

Any suggestions on how exactly to “properly calibrate” a 3 wheeler? From blind experimenting, I usually have it set up so that the bottom tire is fully inflated, the top tire is partially inflated and the center tire is flat. I would love to know your approximate pressures for all three tires.

What is slipping a bit? 1/8th rev? 1/4 rev? 1/2 rev? We (my sons and me) have been having some trouble in getting the right balance between too much slip and too much bind. It is good to know that some slip is normal. We have been trying to eliminate slip, but then everything gets too tight to roll along with ease.

My kids ride the blasted thing. I am still chickening out as a sit in the saddle. The extra foot or two of height over my chain-driven giraffe (a 30 year old blue Oxford - does anyone else have one of these?) just shows me up for the coward that I am.

Also, any tips for free mounting a 3-wheeler?

Do you step directly from the bottom tire to the low pedal? Or do you step from the bottom tire to the middle tire and then to the low pedal?

When I set up my three wheeler, I usually have the top and bottom tyres fully inflated, and the middle is barely inflated. The middle tyre, I usually inflate till it elimenates the slipping. Last time my three wheeler slipped, was because it was wet out, and each tyre in turn got the next one wet. Couldn’t tell you what pressures I run, as my track pump is cack and has no gauge. As for making it roll with ease with no slip, I’ve thought about putting longer cranks on my three wheeler, to see if that’d make much of a difference.

Free mounting, I’ve not done yet, I want to try a running mount, but the idea of the slip kicking in isn’t appealing. I tried a set of cranks on each wheel so I could climb up, it seemed ok the first time, but then after riding for a bit the cranks misalign, and aren’t often enough in the right alignment.

F.

Fraggle: Thanks for the advise. I agree that the tire slip could really screw up a running mount (not that I can do a running mount anyway…)

Very interesting idea about the longer cranks. I always feel steadier with longer cranks. That might help me get over my problem with the extra height. However, with longer cranks, my 11 year old might not be able to ride it. He just manages now with the seat in its lowest position. Also, I wonder if the extra power that longer cranks provide might increase slip?

W00T W00T!!! Giraffe thread!

Lol well I have a couple giraffes, the ole Torker tx with a bent frame lmao, and an alex rim hahha… I also have a Newer nimbus raffy(my name for giraffes lol) with dual chains. I love doin tricks on em. I can 360 unispin, hop on wheel(not mounting to wheel starting from pedals and getting back to pedals) 180s down stairs…You know it the raffy can do more than just ride in circles!

Ohh and here is a 360 unispin(foot shot) from riding at a grand opening of my friends store…

and just caust it looks cool, the floater pic…Funny timming…