Getting Started (I need some tips)

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to unicycles. I am an avid mountain biker/work cyclist commuter & have always had a interest in unicycles. Well, it is time for me to ride into the world on a uni. It will take quite a bit of practice b/c I have never even touched a uni before… but I am looking forward to the challenge!

My end goal is to be able to ride my Uni offroad. I am looking for a solid uni that I can learn on & ride offroad whenever I reach the skill level needed. My first instinct is to try to find something used as my entry level Uni.

I don’t really have enough funds to buy a “beginner uni” then transition into a muni. I found a muni on craiglist. It is a 24" CFG Track monster w/ a 3" wheel. The seller says that he is 5’11". He is asking $200. Is this an appropriate uni for me to start on? What else should I ask the seller? I am guessing seatpost length & crank Length? What is an appropriate length post/crank arms for my height & inseam?

My stats:
Height: 6’2"
Inseam: 34 1/4"
Weight: 185 lbs

Here is a picture of the Uni on craiglist:

Thanks for your help
~Kirby

You decide, but here’s some information to help you decide.

With your height and inseam, if you want to get in to muni you will probably want one bigger than 24 inches (I’m 5’7 and I wouldn’t mind it if my 26 inch Muni was bigger). On the other hand that one on craigslist is not a bad deal. As for crank length that pretty much comes down to personal preference, and the cranks already on the uni are probably good enough. The other big thing to consider is that it is usually easier to learn on a smaller wheel than a larger one, so this one a starter wouldn’t be bad. It might be a little harder to learn on than some unicycles, because of the weight of the tire. If you did decide to get a bigger one after learning on this one you might be able to sell it again on the forum trading post. Ask the seller if the seat post has been cut, if it has you may need to try adjusting the seat height while their to see if it goes high enough for you. You might want to ask him how long the cranks are just because it is nice to know. Another thing to ask is if the hub is ISIS. If it is, than it is worth a little more. (If you don’t know ISIS refers to the way the cranks attach to the hub.) Check the spokes to make sure that they are not messed up. From the picture you showed they look a little funny, but that is probably just because it is low quality. Make sure that there are no tears in the seat cover. Scratches on the front and rear bumpers are normal, but if the seat is ripped you might have to purchase another one at some point.

Hope this helps you out.

Oh and here’s another 24 inch Muni of similar price range just for comparison. Its been on the trading post for a long time so you might be able to talk him down a bit.

Good luck learning

I have been riding for two months now and I can ride and even freemount, which I learned about a week ago.

Here are some things that helped me get to this point. I bought a 24" wheeled unicycle from a dealership for about 150 dollars. It has proven to adequate although I wish I knew more about various component issues when I bought it.
The post about ISIS cranks was helpful, because I’ve had mine adjusted several times in the learning process.

Most bike shops don’t know much about unicycles. I have found that in many cases, my research has made me the expert on many aspects of unicycling even though I am new to the sport. The first problem I encountered was the seat post was not long enough for me (I am 6’) so I had to order a new one which took one week. Make sure the seat post comes up as high as a bicycle seat post would, (more or less).

As I’ve gotten into the sport, I am planning my next purchase. I get the impression this is common. I would like to get a bigger wheel like a 26" or a 29" and eventually, a 36".

A 24" is good to learn on. I think you should buy the best unicycle you can afford because it sounds like you will really like it and you don’t want to have a low quality unicycle once you get the hang of it.

Good Luck!

I’ve only been learning for about 3 weeks, but I’ll second everything Esquip said, especially about wishing I knew more before buying my first Yuni

Talk to Roger or one of the other UDC guys if you want the real info on a unicycle. I’d have made a completely different purchase as my first unicycle if I’d had the benefit of Roger’s knowledge before the one I ordered had got here :o

I think you’ve found exactly what you’re looking for. That’s actually a Koxx-one brand unicycle. It’s a few years old, but still good. They’re a well known brand. That should be a good quality ride – better than entry level. You can learn on it, and then you’ll have a solid muni that will last a long time.

That’s definitely not the original seat. It’s a Nimbus Gel seat, which is pretty good. You might want to ask if they have swapped out any of the other parts on it.

It looks to me like a good deal for a decent muni. You’re not likely to find anything better for $200. I would get it if I were you.

Thanks for all of the input so far! Yall have been a great help already! I have asked the seller a couple other questions about seatpost length, etc. I hope to hear back from him soon.

When I go to check it out, what things should I be looking for? I know to check spokes & cosmetic details. But I won’t be able to just hop on the thing and take it for a spin to make sure everything operates appropriately.

Is seatpost height similar to riding a regular bike? Do I want a slight bend in the knee at a “6:00 downstroke”?

Who is Roger, and how do I contact him?

Thanks again for everyone’s input!
~Kirby

Also, what is the benefit of an ISIS hub?

~Kirby

It is more durable than a regular square taper hub, and it is worth more money
It is kind of like a star with 10 points, as opposed to a square

You could check to see if the bearings are in good shape and if the crank arms are loose.

Roger is part of Unicycle.com, this is his profile here, maybe you could send him a private message.
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/member.php?u=4116

Hello Kirby, :slight_smile:

I think you are actually looking in the right way at this. The unicycle looks like it is an ISIS Muni. Do you have any more specification on it? What is the hub and cranks? My initial reaction is that it is a good deal.

Do check out what you can get new for the same amount of money. I am not 100% familiar with what is currently in stock at UDC USA, but I would suggest that the Nimbus Muni is the modern equivalent (newer generally are more comfortable, lighter and stronger).

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/mountain-unicycle/nimbus-24-inch-mountain-unicycle.html

Roger

Thanks for your response and help. I am not too sure what the Hub & cranks are. The seller is taking his sweet time getting back some measurements on the current inseam & seatpost length. I am going to make him a lower offer and see if he bites. I can always replace the seatpost if needed.

Wish me luck
~Kirby