Getting on better without the T7

The GB-handle takes less time to get used to, compared to the T7. The GB-handle sits much closer to the saddle and does not affect your riding position as much as the T7 does. I like the T7 because it makes the unicycle feel more like a bike. But I have noticed that if I hold on to the T7 all the time while riding, my balancing capability is impaired. Holding on to the T7 is restricting body movement necessary to adjust balance. The GB does not have this effect on my riding.

All experiences are from a 36" wheel.

Yeah so it seems. I might just have to modify mine or something

T7 help me out, specially commuting

My T7 really helps me on hill climbs, and long distance riding.

On freemount I use my seat handle, not T7.

My Vetta cycle computer is mounted to my seat post not T7. I might remount it to the T7 later, but don’t feel the need to have it on T7.

You might say my T7 is naked, except for rubber handle grips and reflection tape. No waterbottle either.

Like any equipment, you’re bound to find some who prefer not to use the T7. To each his/her own.

Personally, I wouldn’t be without one.

I know, he didn’t mention what type of unicycle he had though.

Sometimes…not often, but sometimes I feel a little constrained in my abilities when riding with the T7. It does make it feel a little bit less like a unicycle. But I wouldn’t want to ride any distance over hills without it. I have foam grips, a cyclometer, and a bottle mount on mine.

I am kind of uncomfortable with the quality of the T7, however. The front and back end of mine are not even close to alligned. The front end is also slightly tilted. I’m not certain, but I think the front weld allows for some flexibility haha…which means it’s only a matter of time before it breaks off.

I allowed a man I passed once to give my coker a try. He used the T7 and the wall to try and mount it. After I got back on, it appeared as though the front end was bent upwards…

I always use the seat handle to mount and dismount.

Meh, I’m sorry to pick you up on it again but he did kind of say in the first line…

Heh, oops. It’s cool, I read over that…twice :thinking:

Bad idea, I wouldn’t ever let anyone mount your T7 equipped unicycle who isn’t already comfortable with riding one on their own unicycle. This is how my KH seatpost was destroyed and the ends of my T7 chewed up.

I am scared to use my replacement T7 handle for leverage. I did that in the past and that resulted in breakage. I’m scared to let people have a go on my unicycle- even if they know how to ride they generally don’t have much skill at mounting a Coker and tend to use way too much leverage on the T7 which is not designed to be used as a lever (although they may claim that it is). It’s ok to use it to rest your hands on it but don’t put your weight on it and don’t use it while going over bumps cos every shock it gets will take it closer to breakage. Also don’t crash cos it is not designed to take big impacts. While allowing you extra gadgets, the T7 is somewhat of a strength downgrade compared to a normal seatpost. I’ll keep using it until something better comes out or until I make something better myself.

Isn’t there a handle configuration that attaches to the seat post instead of under the seat? If anyone has pics of this that would be great!:smiley:

I can’t remember which thread I found this on but this might be the one you are talking about… I had it open just now
What a short seatpost! Good idea for a handle I reckon- it seems to lack some of the weakness of the T7.

Yeah that’s kinda what I’m looking for. Thanks

It certainly was a a mistake and I’m now also very wary about letting anyone try my coker, period.

I know it’s only a matter of time before it breaks. I’d also probably be in the market for something else if it came out at a reasonable price.

Terry,

Coker has designed another option for all of us to consider…although Coker hasn’t released a picture yet. Coker’s version attaches to the seatpost. According to Kendall, we’ll have a picture in the next few weeks.

Shannon

Cool beans! Can’t wait!:slight_smile:

I’ve got a T7 on at the moment, but I’m considering taking it off. I’ve done about 800 miles on it or so.

Reasons for keeping it on:

1. riding into headwinds is nice on the handle, it feels a bit more natural being low down with your hands on it.
  2. it is kind of nice riding on the handles sometimes because it feels really stable.
  3. it’s on there already and it’d be hassle to take off (although I have a spare brake lever, so the biggest hassle of removing the grips and lever wouldn’t exist)
  4. lots of people seem to swear by them

reasons for maybe taking it off

1. angle adjustability is overrated, I’ve ridden thousands of miles on non angle adjustable seats with no problems once I’d got used to the seat in question.
  2. weight. the weight it adds does make a noticeable difference, as does the extra weight of the rail type seatpost.
  3. strength of it - mine isn’t straight and I’ve dropped it maybe 3 times now.
  4. lack of control - I’ve got 125mm cranks on a 45" equivalent geared wheel, which doesn’t make for the most in control unicycle generally.
  5. uphill - the t7 handle sucks for uphill compared to the stock kh. Using the KH handle underneath the T7, you really feel the extra weight of the T7. I rode the coker recently, with a stock kh seat, and the handle was way better on the hills.

Joe

T7 comments

When I have a UPD my seat angle changes. This is due to the rail post adapter not being tight enough. This is probably a good thing because it puts the presure on the seat post joint to give a little rather then flexing the actual T7 bar.

If I were designing the T7 I’d attach it to the frame seat post (not the actual seat post but the frame). The rail seat post is a nice idea but to be honest I dont need to adjust the angle of my seat or bar. Attaching it to the frame plus a gusset would provide more strength against UPD.

I also have no use for the tail section of the T7. Every thing goes into my backpack. Adding any carring devices to the tail section may hamper my freemounting abilities.

So far I have 450km logged with the T7. It gonna stay on my 29er. Not sure if I’ll put another on my 36" or fabricate something.

I don’t think I’d suggest mounting something under the seat, I think mounting to the frame is the way to go. Perhaps a telescopic arm that would allow adjustability on the reach of the handles.

legtod2 says:

If I were designing the T7 I’d attach it to the frame seat post (not the actual seat post but the frame). The rail seat post is a nice idea but to be honest I dont need to adjust the angle of my seat or bar. Attaching it to the frame plus a gusset would provide more strength against UPD.

How would you design it for riders of different height?

I also have no use for the tail section of the T7. Every thing goes into my backpack. Adding any carring devices to the tail section may hamper my freemounting abilities.

It would be very easy to chop off with a hacksaw or a grinder …

I don’t think I’d suggest mounting something under the seat, I think mounting to the frame is the way to go. Perhaps a telescopic arm that would allow adjustability on the reach of the handles.

Why not under the seat? If you have a water bottle that is probally the best place for it to be.

I posted my T6.5 on another thread. It is a T7 cut, welded, cut again, welded again etc. I hope you get the idea. It looks a bit rough close up but after about 1000ks I like it. Some days I hardly use it and other days I alternate regularly between L and R hand.
I was getting confident with two hands until a bigtime UPD and have since lost the plot a bit when riding with two hands.

Link to thread?

Are there pictures?