Get a little uni to improve my skills?

So I learned to ride a little a few years ago on an old 24" schwinn
uni. Stopped. Recently decided I wanted to ride muni, so I would learn
how to ride better.

I had a goal that when I could freemount consistantly I’d buy a muni.
So I freemounted. Next time I rode, I got 2 in a row. But I’m far
from consistant, and any time I go out, I feel lucky to get even 1.

My uni is wearing out. bearings, pedals etc. Don’t want to put money
into it. But I haven’t gotten good enough yet that I feel I can
justify a $500 set of wheel.

I could get an inexpensive 16" or 20" uni, and maybe that would be
easier to build some skills on. Or I could buy a nice muni now even
though I’m not ready to go muniing. Or I could keep practicing on what
I have.

My first few freemounts were with uni in front, bringing it under me
with a pedal stroke and riding forward. I read to start with a kind
where I move forward over the uni instead of bringing it back, but I
can’t–it feels too tall for that, and seems like it’d be easier on a
smaller uni. Doing the mount that I do but riding backwards seems
relatively easy, except I can’t really ride backwards yet.

Suggestions? Links to videos that might help?

Thanks,
David

I find a 20" freestyle unicycle to be the most comfortable for learning new skills with. The wheel size is just right. Not so big that it gets in the way. It’s a size that just gravitates towards riding in a local area and practicing riding skills.

There are good 20" freestyle unicycles in the $100 to $150 range (USD). Something like the Torker LX or one of the Nimbus flavors. I would stay away from the Sun unicycles. They don’t hold up well.

I can’t imagine being without a 20" freestyle unicycle. I could do without my 24" freestyle (I never ride it any more).

For practicing freemounts, try putting a brick or a block of wood behind the wheel to keep it from rolling back. Makes it easier to get on. Or back the wheel up against a curb. You’ll get the hang of it. You do need to jump up and forward a bit rather than just letting the unicycle frame lever yourself up over the wheel.

Here is a video of the two mounts you’re trying, done on a 24.

The step up and go mount, is a ‘standard’ or ‘static’ mount.

The bring the uni backwards under you, then go forwards mount is a rollback mount. I always used to use the rollback mount, nowadays I usually do the standard mount, as it has advantages for riding muni. For now, just learn whichever one feels easiest to you.

Also, unicycletips.com has some tutorials on both mounts, which are in here , (rollback and static )

Personally, if you’re inclined towards riding muni, I’d just get a muni and skip the 20. Mounting is a pretty easy skill to learn on either a 20 or a 24. Other than unicycle hockey, I ride my freestyle about once a year, whereas the muni gets ridden most weeks.

The standard mount feels like you’re going a long way up on any unicycle, there’s only 2 inches difference in how high you’re going between a 20 and a 24, it really isn’t that different at all. The trick is not to put much weight on the back pedal, and use the other leg to spring up onto the unicycle. If you watch that video, when I standard mount, I jump up and the unicycle wheel doesn’t move backwards at all.

You can also start muni-ing before you can mount 100%, I’ve ridden on trails with people who needed to use trees to mount. They seemed to learn riding very quickly once they were out on the trails, it’s just that much more challenging than riding on the flat, and really improves your balance quickly.

Joe

Re: Get a little uni to improve my skills?

Thanks John & Joe!

> ‘Here’ (http://tinyurl.com/yc7e6o) is a video of the two mounts you’re
> trying, done on a 24.

I think that will help.

> The step up and go mount, is a ‘standard’ or ‘static’ mount.
>
> The bring the uni backwards under you, then go forwards mount is a
> rollback mount.

Is there a word for it when you do that but ride backwards? That seems
like the easiest mount on flat ground. If you can ride backwards…

It made sense that the opposite (back mount?) should be easy too, but
it wasn’t.

I would get the muni, take care of it, love it etc. I learned how to ride on a
24" and if you have the seat slightly lower than normal, it is perfect for learning how to freemount. The larger wheel offers more resistance for stepping up onto it, and gives a fast, smooth ride. Now please let me ask you a question. I need to learn how to start my own thread, haven’t figured it out yet:( Don’t mean to be a thread thief, good luck with your new uni!

Re: Get a little uni to improve my skills?

uni_jim wrote:
I need to learn how to start my own thread,
> haven’t figured it out yet:(

I used Google Groups, and click <start new topic>.

I used to use Outlook Express with an NNTP news server, and I don’t
remember exactly what I did, because I don’t have OE anymore. I’ve got
Mozilla Thunderbird, but don’t have it configured with an NNTP server.
I think you just compose a new message when you’ve got OE or
Thunderbird on the usenet group you want.

thank you oh so much!:smiley: