Geared Uni is not for me--KH29" Muni-hub Schlumpf for sale!

For my 60th birthday, I decided I’d build a new 29" geared unicycle, and did so. I have ridden it a few times and it is not for me. Not sure I want to fall off at full speed and the Moment cranks lack the q-factor of my old Onzas and my body geometry doesn’t match…so…it is for sale.

My desire is to sell the whole package less the seat and stem, but if needed I will sell it in parts. New KH-29er frame, laced Muni hub with 150cm KH Moment cranks, KH XC Rim, Schwalbe 2.0 Big Apple tire, Nimbus Shadow Handle set, Odyssey pedals. I plan to keep the KH Freeride Air Saddle I bought to put on my other KH-29XC.

Here is what the parts cost: KH Schlumpf hub ($1421), 150 cm cranks ($80)–(delivered cost $1617), XC rim ($75), professional wheel build and spokes ($90), Schwalbe Big Apple 2.0x29 tire ($38), new KH29 frame ($209), Nimbus Shadow handle set ($120, not installed in picture–still in box). Total I have invested is $2149. Everything listed here is for sale for $1800 plus shipping.

I have spent too many years riding on a simple 1:1 unicycle and have decided that this is not something that I want to invest the time to learn at age 60 when I take so much longer to heal. :slight_smile: The hub is the magnificent piece of engineering and precision that you would hope and the rest of the parts listed here are brand new.

I prefer to ship in the US and would insist that any payment clear before shipping the unicycle.

If you are interested, let me know.

Carey

That looks just adorable. If it doesn’t find a good home I can
“store it” for you…

A question or three…

Hi Carey,

That’s one beautiful ride you’ve put together, and I just might be interested, but I have a few questions:

1. Do you happen to know the vintage of the frame and/or whether it would have sufficient clearance for a WTB Stout mounted on a Freeride (47 mm wide) rim, should one choose to swap out the entire wheelset for light muni / XC, or rebuild the wheel with the wider rim?

2. Does the Shadow Handle Set include the 27.2 mm Atomlab seatpost to fit the KH frame, or is it the Nimbus 25.4 mm post?

3. What is the vintage of the Schlumpf hub (serial M 0399)? (I know there’s a thread somewhere that addresses this, but I figured you’d know.)

Thanks!

UPD in Utah

(a.k.a. Bert)

Hi Carey, could you be so kind as to educate me about q-factor?
Thank you, Jeff

From the late, great Sheldon Brown.

UPD’s questions, my answers are inserted.

1. Do you happen to know the vintage of the frame and/or whether it would have sufficient clearance for a WTB Stout mounted on a Freeride (47 mm wide) rim, should one choose to swap out the entire wheelset for light muni / XC, or rebuild the wheel with the wider rim?

The frame is current production and I just ordered it from unicycle.com. I had planned to put it on my 06 KH-29 frame but only frames manufactured after 2007 are compatible with the external dimensions of the Schlumpf bearings. It is a 2010 frame. I don’t know about the tire, but the rim would easily fit. If that tire will run on a standard KH-29, it will go on this frame as it is identical. In either case, the spokes should work on either rim. The decision would just be which rim to build up with them.

1. Does the Shadow Handle Set include the 27.2 mm Atomlab seatpost to fit the KH frame, or is it the Nimbus 25.4 mm post?

It has the larger seatpost to fit in the KH frame.

1. What is the vintage of the Schlumpf hub (serial M 0399)? (I know there’s a thread somewhere that addresses this, but I figured you’d know.)

It is brand new, I just got it from Florian. I asked for a nice number as he had just received the production lot–that is what he sent. There are several numbers below it that are not yet listed on the Schlumpf hub serial number list. This hub is from the most recent production lot.

Thanks for asking!

Jeff,

In addition to the string listed, q-factor is the amount of distance that the pedals are displaced laterally. By rough measurement, the pedals on an Moment crank are about an inch closer together on each side (laterally) than the Onza cranks on my current unicycles. I am more comfortable when my pedals are slightly wider and I like the Onza crank distance. Small q-factor puts the pedals very close to the wheel and larger q-factor moves the pedals further outboard. Hope that helps.

Carey

Can’t resist any longer…

Carey,

Thanks for answering all my questions.

PM sent.

-Bert