Geared 29 set-up questions

Or use 2 or 3 layers - that’s what I did. :smiley:

napalm,

So your advice to me would be to use the KH-29 Freeride rim? I do like the KH quality.

I have never had a drilled rim so I don’t really know if the little holes collect junk. I just imagine myself trying to pick mud out them with a toothpick. Most of my riding will be on a hard surface though so I may be overestimating the issue.

Also, I had heard that people generally liked the wheel momentum that comes with a 36" coker wheel. Had not heard the idea of reducing rolling mass for the sake of climbing, though I had heard of stretching a 29" tube onto one to save weight as you mention.

Carey

I would suggest the 29 freeride rim for your set up if you ever thought you might like to get into muni. But if you are just riding on the road then a skinnier one would be ok.

In my opinion a geared 29 is the most versatile unicycle you can have. A 36 is hard to transport (the wheel is huge) and high gear is a beastly ratio to push. Plus 36er components are, at the moment, really lagging behind the other sizes in terms of variety of parts, and they are heavy too. Yes, the reason some people use a 29er inner tube on a 36 is to cut down rotational weight for better ride characteristics. Also, a 36 is a bit harder to manoeuvre- so if your riding in areas of high pedestrian traffic it can be unwieldy.

If you are specifically building a uni for long distance or sheer speed purposes then the 36 is the weapon of choice. But a geared 29er can go plenty fast and in low gear you can still ride muni on it too.

As for cleaning the rim, I only ride muni and if the trails are muddy enough i hose down my rim before i stick it in my room. Takes 30 seconds and takes out 90% or the stuff that collects in there. I doub’t you’ll have that problem.

mark

I can confirm this - every single point. I have got both - a geared 29er and a geared 36er, and the 29er is definitely the most versatile uni I have.

My Schlumpf arrived, awesome! I just ordered the 29 XC rim and the 2.0 Big Apple. Once I get some spokes, will have it built up and we’ll be ready to go.

Can’t wait.

Carey

Wow. That took what, a week? That must be some kind of record. :smiley:

Haha, ;)I don´t know about the rumors…but there will be soon avaivible 29" Schlumpf-Mountainuni-Triton and 36" Schlumpf-Mountainuni-Triton.
It will be available from mountainuni.com and ridetriton.com
I will announce it here.

@jogi: I was more thinking about a disk attached to the hub body. Your setup has the problem that you can hardly shift when riding down a hill because it brakes the cranks and not the wheel. Also, the full braking load is on the hub mechanics.

It is OK on flat land though.

That is right but I test it now over 1000km including XC, stairs and Downhill without any effect to the hub and Florian Schlumpf see no problems in braking the gear.
But by the way who of you folks do brake while shifting gear?

I don’t brake while shifting, but there are a few people I have heard who say that braking while shifting is more accurate for them.

I think it would be great to have a disc + schlumpf for a muni or geared 36, I don’t think my version of the muni hub (first batch) can fit any other cranks though, I only stick with the KH moments.

I can’t shift without braking when the road goes downwards. I tried that (unplanned) just a week ago and the wheel goes off and I land on my butt.