Gear Multiplication

A previous post by someone (sorry, I forgot to check the name) mentioned that
adding gear multiplication to a uni has been previously discussed on the list.
Are there archives?

Ever since my first few days of actually being able to ride my uni my 2 dreams
have been:

  • win a bike race while riding it
  • develop a gear multiplication system to allow me to do it.

Currently I’ve got a system that I believe will work (using 2 chain tensioners
to take up the slack in both directions) and I’m waiting for enough on-hand cash
to try it. Oh yeah, money and a metalshop that will either let me do the work
or do it for me at a small cost. I’ve heard of the fixed-gear in-hub shifting
systems but have found neither the schematics or a run-down on how they work nor
the desire to search eBay until I can pick one up for a steal at the cost of
$300(US) that I don’t have. Has anyone already attempted any systems and found
some caveats that I should be aware of? Anyone have any schematics or
descriptions of how the in-hub gear shifting works?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Peterson

Re: Gear Multiplication

“Mike Peterson” <mpeters1@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message
news:a05010404b6ddf6ca3b18@[128.223.208.173]…
> A previous post by someone (sorry, I forgot to check the name) mentioned that
> adding gear multiplication to a uni has been previously discussed on the list.
> Are there archives?
>
>Hi Mike

Last fall at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/unicycling several people and I were
discussing overdriven and multi speed unicycles, their advantages and what might
and might not work. We since have moved to a new site but the old messages are
still viewable at the link listed above.

I have done some experiments along this line but have had little success.

Al Lieffring

Re: Gear Multiplication

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:37:47 GMT, “Al Lieffring” <alan@lieffring.com> wrote:

>
>“Mike Peterson” <mpeters1@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message
>news:a05010404b6ddf6ca3b18@[128.223.208.173]…
>> A previous post by someone (sorry, I forgot to check the name) mentioned that
>> adding gear multiplication to a uni has been previously discussed on the
>> list. Are there archives?
>>
>>Hi Mike
>
>Last fall at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/unicycling several people and I were
>discussing overdriven and multi speed unicycles, their advantages and what
>might and might not work. We since have moved to a new site but the old
>messages are still viewable at the link listed above.
>
>I have done some experiments along this line but have had little success.
>
>Al Lieffring

I was the “someone” on the list. I have checked to yahoo club that Al Lieffring
mentioned (thanks Al) but could find only two messages on the subject. Maybe I
haven’t dug deep enough. Anyway, the “archives” question that Mike Peterson
raised is still unanswered: has anyone archived the discussion that went on
about a year ago in rec.sport.unicycling? As I mentioned before, a friend of
mine considers picking this subject up after the summer. He is a quite capable
mechanical engineer. Any known failures could help (odd, isn’t it?).

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “Osama bin Laden, Pentagon, Iraq”

Re: Gear Multiplication

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:22:09 GMT, klaasbil_remove_the_spamkiller_@xs4all.nl
(Klaas Bil) wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:37:47 GMT, “Al Lieffring” <alan@lieffring.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>“Mike Peterson” <mpeters1@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message
>>news:a05010404b6ddf6ca3b18@[128.223.208.173]…
>>> A previous post by someone (sorry, I forgot to check the name) mentioned
>>> that adding gear multiplication to a uni has been previously discussed on
>>> the list. Are there archives?
>>>
>>>Hi Mike
>>
>>Last fall at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/unicycling several people and I were
>>discussing overdriven and multi speed unicycles, their advantages and what
>>might and might not work. We since have moved to a new site but the old
>>messages are still viewable at the link listed above.
>>
>>I have done some experiments along this line but have had little success.
>>
>>Al Lieffring
>
>I was the “someone” on the list. I have checked to yahoo club that Al Lieffring
>mentioned (thanks Al) but could find only two messages on the subject. Maybe I
>haven’t dug deep enough. Anyway, the “archives” question that Mike Peterson
>raised is still unanswered: has anyone archived the discussion that went on
>about a year ago in rec.sport.unicycling? As I mentioned before, a friend of
>mine considers picking this subject up after the summer. He is a quite capable
>mechanical engineer. Any known failures could help (odd, isn’t it?).
>
>Klaas Bil
>–
>"To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
>automagically from a database:" “Osama bin Laden, Pentagon, Iraq”

Sorry, I was too quick. Now that I dug deeper I found more messages, they were
around 3 months before the one that referred to earlier posts as “about a month
ago”. Interesting stuff. Al, could you please make your rough sketch available
once more, either publicly or to my e-mail. The link to
http://i4.yimg.com/4/a95b7ade/g/88771cee.gif seems to be broken.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “Osama bin Laden, Pentagon, Iraq”

Re: Gear Multiplication

Interesting stuff. Al, could you please make your rough sketch available once
more, either publicly or to my e-mail. The link to
http://i4.yimg.com/4/a95b7ade/g/88771cee.gif seems to be broken.

Klaas Bil

Hi Bill Try http://i10.yimg.com/10/33eab119/g/f8fe4e90.gif . I closed out that
photo album when I moved the club to its current site.
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/alsunicyclingclub .

Al Lieffring