Game changer - 36er CARBON wheel!

Was riding around 20-25 PSI. I read that uni tires are made to resist during downhill and during high acceleration should bend to not loose grip (like a rear bike tire)ā€¦ usually they arenā€™t so lightweight, so deinflated, so tubeless and in that specific situation. But now I know that I will use a tire insert

I am interested to know about the ease of tire mounting too.

Has anyone built their Schlumpf hub into one?

Any thoughts about skipping the holes and lacing the 32 hole rim to a 36 hole hub?

Martin Charrier posted in Facebook Geared Unicycle Chat about a solution to incorporate a disc brake with the 32 hole rim and Schlumpf hub.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/268679360444983/permalink/601888600457389/

No issue for me to fit a QU-AX King George Ultimate, no test yet to remove it

Looking forward to seeing the first carbon rimmed Schlumpf 36er but I wouldnā€™t recommend skipping holes @Rowan - the shell flanges are already heavily stressed in high gear and especially for the older design hubs they do love to break even with an even lacing.

First prototype of the flange adapter is being tested as we speak. Itā€™ll also bring internal disc brake to the Schlumpf hub!

4 Likes

I am currently testing the machine. I have to ride it more to give my opinion. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So basically you are effectively making the hub narrower or, more specifically, relocating the spokes further in to accommodate the disc? It also converts the hub from 36 to 32 holes so you can properly fit the carbon rim. Cool! Still canā€™t figure why they chose to make the carbon rim with 32 rather than 36 holes. Not really worth the loss of strength and stability to save a few measly grams.

3 Likes

Ignoring the strength and weight side of things, why would you reduce your potential market (seemingly) so significantly?

The rim is incompatible with geared hubs (without these adapters), Q-Axle, square taper, and almost all ISIS hubs out there. I suppose that the bike market has a greater number of 32h hubs but the 36" bike market canā€™t be huge.

Maybe if youā€™re happy to spend that amount on a rim youā€™re also happy to do a complete upgrade though.

Ignoring the strength and weight side of things, why would you reduce your potential market (seemingly) so significantly?

The rim is incompatible with geared hubs (without these adapters), Q-Axle, square taper, and almost all ISIS hubs out there. I suppose that the bike market has a greater number of 32h hubs but the 36" bike market canā€™t be huge.

Iā€™m guessing the 36" bike market is at least as big as the uni market, and growing, and bikes are all 32 or even 28 spokes these days. But Iā€™m sure UDC can get whatever drilling they want, so why 32 for the ones aimed at us? It does seem strange.

The carbon rim is designed specifically for the number of spokes. 36 spoke would require a whole new mould.

1 Like

The mold and shape of this CF rim is made for 32 holes, not possible to drill it at 36

Strange that guys from 36 MTB didnā€™t care about unicycle market, 10 years ago they contacted us when they developed the off road VEE tyre

1 Like

It would be interesting to know how large the 36" bike market is worldwide but if itā€™s sizeable then Iā€™d have expected to see another aluminium 36" rim before now. It only seems to be Qu-Ax and Nimbus making them at present.

the bike-market ist at least twice as big (since two tires) but still really, really small. just like the 36" unicycle-market unfortunately.

3 Likes

The mold and shape of this CF rim is made for 32 holes, not possible to drill it at 36

Oh, that makes sense. I guess itā€™s up to UDC to drill the hubs to match.

Yes but Schlumpf hub is only 36 holes !

People who ride G36 want for most of them have a lighter wheel and put the money to get it, this is a pity. For me itā€™s ok, I donā€™t ride Schlumpf and found a 32 holes hub from Nimbus in the end of last year, so I can enjoy my 36" CF rim

1 Like

Does it make sense to have an adaptor 36h to 32h and go on using an EDB spirit crank with the Ghub?

Depending on what you want to achieve, it could make sense. I have a very precise idea of what I want for my G36: aerobars and a brake for each of my position - sat on the seat or laid down on the aerobars. To achieve that goal, I have to set an internal and an external discs. So I still find EDB Spirit cranks useful.
However, if you donā€™t want to have two discs, you can perfectly go for some more traditional cranks with a littler q factor. You should look at @toutestbon pictures : he uses Venture cranks.

If you are lucky enough to have Spirit cranks, Schlumpf hub and a frame that works with them, for sure. A simple adapter from 36h to 32h would be fairly simple to make by having someone lasercut them from steel (pretty cheap to get done through internet services), and a drill to chamfer the edges and get the holes to final size.

I have some simple 36 to 48 (that Iā€™m using laced with 32) adapter that Iā€™m using on a Schlumph. No issues and itā€™s a very simple design.

I run spirit cranks with the Schlumph and would regardless of whether or not they carried a rotor, they are a nice shape for shifting and have just the right q-factor for me on standard width hubs.

In my opinion, after the misadventures I had with the schlumpf hub, it doesnā€™t make sense. The adapter (designed by Martin and Roger and available soon) allows as much to go from 36h to 32 as to mount a disc on the hub. An EDB can cause a lot of damage to the schlumpf hub, and it is not possible to brake and downshift at the same time.

1 Like