Game changer - 36er CARBON wheel!

I didn’t find such a light rim as replacement of my 36er steel rim in the past and so I decided to build my own rim. I rode it for nearly 3 years now. It costs about 36€, weights about 619 grams and it has 36 holes. The rotating mass of the total wheel was devided by two. Astonishingly I didn’t notice so much difference while riding. But it is much easier to carry.

The main problem was that my rim requires a disc break and it took 1 year to design a disk break mount for my square taper generation 1 Schlumpf hub. As shown somewhere here in the forum, my rim has the theoretical advantage that it can be dismounted into 2 parts for traveling.

Light AND skinny? That’s the sorta rim I’ve been wanting from a 36er!

Now to make a nice lightweight 1.8 or 2" 36er tyre :sunglasses:

Does it feel nice and stiff like your LB carbon 26er Terry? If I hadn’t just built up a carbon g29er this 100% would’ve been my weapon of choice :astonished:

I can’t imagine that a lite Nightrider on a skinny rim would feel very wide as they’re pretty round as it is. I know you love weirdly skittish tyres but thinner 36" tyres sounds pretty awful!

1 Like

It doesn’t look or feel any narrower with the carbon rim. And I don’t know what you mean when you say I “love weirdly skittish tires”. :thinking:

The skittish tyres comment was directed towards Piece Maker, but it’s interesting that you don’t find it feels any narrower. What PSI are you running?

Somewhere between 55 and 60 PSI on the road, and around 30 PSI for Muni

Here’s a shot of the nightrider lite Tire on the carbon rim.
The second shot shows the carbon rim next to the stealth rim and you can see there’s really no difference in the width. Can you guess whether the carbon rim is on the left or right?

Btw, the weight of the original NR wheelset, minus disc, cranks and pedals is 10lbs!

On my muni I have a 32mm (external) rim and a 2.35 tyre. I must admit that I’ve often wished for a wider rim to improve stability.

Totally different wheel and tyre on the 36er though, so maybe a narrow rim is fine there.

Didn’t the Quax 36ers come with a 32mm rim at one point? Do they still do so?

Btw, the outer diameter of the carbon Rim is 33.5mm vs 42mm for the stealth ll.

My 36er Rim has an outer diameter of only 24.5mm. It rides without any problem. I ride it with high pressure on the road. So for sure the 33.5mm diameter of the carbon wheel is no problem at all… with high pressure on the road.

Which 36er rim has such a super narrow width? Must be the Alex 787x25.

Well I don’t read german but it looks like his own creation :wink:

English version :
https://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unicyclist.com%2Fforums%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D1693078%26postcount%3D129

Yup, the rim is my own creation. For Aluminium waiting is over. I avoided showing special tools in my report. So feel free to go to your workshop and create your own custom rim right now!
I investigated how to create carbon wheels. But for carbon I guess it is better to wait for what other people create for us.

This is fantastic! I’d been meaning to do the same thing for years. I’m glad someone else beat me to it and proved the concept! :slight_smile:

Hello Terry!

I have some questions about the nimbus 100mm 32-hole disc hub and the spokes (I’m in the process of purchasing the rim, the hub and the spokes). I read on facebook you use 367mm spokes.
I used the UDC spoke calculator (https://www.unicycle.co.uk/calculator) with an ERD of 745mm and the dimensions of the nimbus 100mm 36-hole disc hub (the 32-hole hub is not in the list, I don’t know if they’re exactly the same…).
Results : 361.12mm for the disc side, 362.44mm for the non disc side. I
Did I make a mistake? 362mm spokes will be too short?

Moreover the angle of the spokes for the disc side, it is about 2.7°. Wasn’t it difficult to build the wheel? Does the wheel look solid?

361 would definitely be too short. It was a fairly easy build and I just use the same length for both sides.

I asked Roger Davies about the spoke lenght. Are you sure about that? The 367mm spokes are standard spokes?
Roger said “They worked exactly right with those 367mm spokes or was the thread poking through the end by 4mm?”

Thanks in advance for your response (I’m a stuck to choose the spoke length and I have to quickly place an order…)

that measurement is for a 36-hole hub. In the drop-down make sure you select 32 holes and you’ll see the difference.

Are you talking about the UDC spoke calculator? The nimbus 100mm 32-hole isis disc hub is not in the list, there are 100mm 32-hole isis hub (without disc), or 100mm 36-hole isis disc hub.
Anyway, Roger told me that the figures are the same for these hubs, and Roland from municycle measured the hub and sent me the figures I entered in the calculator. (Flange width disc side: 35mm, Flange width non disc side: 71mm, Flange diameter: 57mm)

The result is always 361/362mm for 32 holes (it is 358/359mm for 36 holes). I have three options left:

• UDC spoke calculator is wrong
  • ERD (745mm) is wrong
  • 362mm is right

I prefer the third option, but we’ll check that out.

Have a nive day! :slight_smile: