I recently put a KH Fusion seat cover on my muni. The stretchy Kevlar style fabric on the nose of the saddle is causing some chafing problems. The fabric is too grabby and doesn’t let my legs and shorts slide smoothly when I stand up over the nose of the saddle to climb.
Anyone have any ideas to solve the problem? I was thinking that spraying something like clearcoat spray paint on the fabric might make it more slippery. Or maybe spraying something else on the fabric, but what?
Has anyone else experimented with solving the Fusion Fabric Friction problem?
On longer rides I always wear tight lycra cycling shorts under whatever else I have on, instead of underwear.
You get the support, the padding and any rubbing that occurs will be between your baggies and the lycra rather than on your skin.
I dont know if some shorts are more slippery than others but mine are slicker than a greased weasel, it may be worth trying a few pairs.
Try putting some section of pantyhose over the sticky part of the seat. It’s non-permanent and will give you some info as an experiment. I used black, nylon hose or pantyhose (doesn’t matter) to put over my giraffe saddle (SemCycle rubber air seat) and it worked very well allowing me to slide onto the saddle when freemounting rather than get stuck on the rubber by friction.
I think I’ve figured out what was causing the chafing. It seems it was the edges of the seat handle causing the chafing and not necessarily the Fusion fabric.
My muni seat has a Kinport handle on it. The Kinport handle is rather squarish and sticks out from the seat base a bit. It didn’t bother me when I was using the Roach seat cover, but when I switched to the Fusion seat cover it caused some chafing.
Anyways, I got some hosiery for my cross-dressing muni. At first I had the hosiery covering just the fabric part of the KH Fusion seat cover (see the top half of the attached photo). The hosiery would just ride up and not stay in place on the nose of the saddle, and it didn’t solve the chafing problem. I flipped the hosiery around so it covered the Kinport handle (see the bottom half of the attached photo). Ah, that seems to have done the trick. So it must have been the edges of the Kinport handle causing the problems.
Strange that it was all good when I was using the old-school Roach seat cover. Then when I switched to a Fusion seat cover the Kinport handle started to rub me wrong. Must be because the Roach cover was loose and baggy while the KH Fusion cover is tight and snug.