Further evolution of the Road Razor

I call cranks either straight or flared. No need to contort the bicycling community’s definition of Q-factor. Straight cranks have what you call “0 Q factor” and flared cranks have added Q-factor.

Re: Further evolution of the Road Razor

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 04:20:59 -0500, john_childs wrote:

>In the bicycling community they know
>that Q-factor has to do with the width of the bottom bracket, the width
>of the cranks, and the extension of the pedals.

That latter contribution (extension of the pedals) was excluded from
the definition of Q-factor in a recent post here (tholub, quoting
Grant Petersen, the ‘inventor’ of the term Q-factor). There it was the
distance between the outside of the cranks, so whatever the pedals do
to place your feet farther apart is not included.

See, this whole term Q-factor is confusing no end.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“I’m slowly but surely stealing Wales and bringing it back to my house on the wheel, frame and cranks of my muni. - phil”

No, it’s pretty straight forward :slight_smile: Q factor - Wikipedia

Perhaps i could referr to “zero flare cranks” also as “zero Q-added cranks” as this would be an appropriate useage? Oh, tho i guess the diameter of tubing or material used in the cranks itself contributes to Q-factor. Plus the usage of the word “Flare” in street unicycling might confuse (not really) as you could call a straight crank flared if it is flailed into the air in some unicycle trick. Perhaps.

Of course i’m just spinning, I shall use JC’s terminology until i find something to replace it. My cranks are unflared :smiley:

Oh my, Language is so tricky :smiley: I haven’t done anything of the mechanics/physics for quite some time it seems

Re: Further evolution of the Road Razor

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:16:17 -0500, Brian MacKenzie wrote:

>No, it’s pretty straight forward :slight_smile:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-factor

Wikipedia have Q-factor and Q-value the other way around, in my mind.
But do you see that in bicycle (sic) mechanics, they define it as the
width “between” the cranks? That’s yet another definition, and in the
case of flaring-out cranks it’s even ambiguous. More ammunition for my
statement that this is confusing no end!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“I’m slowly but surely stealing Wales and bringing it back to my house on the wheel, frame and cranks of my muni. - phil”

As a fellow vegetarian I agree. One bladder is enough.

I like this united unification of fools. Why shouldn’t we, like everybody else, be smart and look after our own interests?

First you need to become a Morris dancer. :sunglasses:

The Union is less active than of old. I looked up the website the other day and the bloke running it has obviously lost heart. I was a leading member for many years before stepping aside to allow the next generation to take over. There was no next generation.:frowning:

my cousin who is a bmx racer and stuff, who by the way on his first time he was ever on a unicyle went about 45 feet in a very slow and controlled form, called my frame a fork

Chase