Frustrating day on the new 36

I thought you used the metric system!

Awesome

Did I ever tell all of you guys (and gals) just how awesome you are? YOU’RE AWESOME!! There, did I say it loud enough? After reading through all of your posts here, I went home and just practiced mounting this beast in the garage. I worked on the rolling mount, rolling the uni about 1 pedal rev forwards and then stepping on the pedal as it swings up from about the 6:00 position, hitting it somewhere between 7 and 8. It felt a little awkward at first but after about 20 minutes or so I felt like I really had it. I went out into a gentle snowfall on the street, large flakes but not yet sticking to the road and nailed 9 out of 10 mounts. It felt incredible. This was the first time I’ve tried something new on the uni that came relatively easy. I went around the neighborhood in the snow and even had somebody slow down in their car, roll down the window and say “alright, unicycling in the snow. Cool!” I replied, “yeah it’s great, isn’t it?” Thanks a million for the tips.:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I did go out and take a few measurements;

24"; seat above ground = 43" pedal to seat 36.5"
29"; seat above ground = 46" pedal to seat 37.5"
36"; seat above ground = 50" pedal to seat 37.5"

running 150 cranks on all.

EXCELLENT!!! Glad to hear the practice paid off. I was rooting for the underdog! :slight_smile:

There’s no need to fear! Underdog is here!

When non-riders in this world appear
scorning unicyclists that they should fear
and frighten all who see or hear
the cry goes up both far and near
for Underdog! Underdog! Underdog! Underdog!

Speed of lightning, roar of thunder
fight those who taunt the one-wheeledwonders
Underdog. Underdog!

When in this world the headlines read
of those whose hearts are filled with greed
who rob and steal from those who need
to right this wrong with blinding speed
goes Underdog! Underdog! Underdog! Underdog!

Speed of lightning, roar of thunder
Mount that Coker without a blunder!
Underdog. Underdog!

They have no idea. The trick is to make it look difficult, without looking like you’re struggling.

If you make it look easy, they will asssume it’s easy.

If you look like you’re struggling, they’ll assume you’re not very good.

Public opinion is a harsh mistress.

Nice. Underdog cartoons were one of my favorites (hence my user name) but it’s been such a long time that I had a hard time remembering the melody.

Hey Underdog,
Because of your success, I venture outside my shell and tried the rolling mount with my Nimbus 36. First thing that surprised me was how solid a step that first pedal felt to step on. I expected the uni to be pulled right from my hands, then trip myself over the wheel, but no, it felt good.

From their it was easy, 5-6 tries and I had it, even after being tired from an 8 mile ride. I can’t say I’m rolling very much when I step, but it is all forward. And it is a great way to launch a big wheel.

You are my hero man!

Yes…if the “rep” feature was still in place, Blake would get positive points for that one. Very Sweet-Polly-ish to invest that amount of time to laud the good works of Underdog. Bonus points for anyone that knows where he stashed his power.

Push the back pedal back fearther :wink:

You mean the pills he kept in a compartment in his ring?

That could still come in handy today!

Funny that you bring this up. I have this annoying habit of not being able to stand without using my hands for something, like sticking them in my pockets or fidgeting or what-have-you. So, when I ride, I hate just having my arms sit there doing nothing. If I rest them on the handle, it’s relatively comfortable and alleviates my stupid-static-arm-annoyance (SA)². However, like you (except MUCH more so) I ALWAYS wonder what people around me are thinking. And to me, it seems like it must look like I have to hold on in order to ride successfully. So, I’m torn between one annoyance and another, both self-inflicted.

But anywho, as I said, funny that you bring this up. :slight_smile:

The trick is to get them to say it’s easy then let them try :wink: world champion Theo Bos thought he could just ride away on mine while all the while the manager went “Don’t break your legs please”. No need to say he didn’t have a chance to ride off as the first unicycle he was ever trying was a coker with 80mm cranks :smiley:

I wouldn’t worry too much about mounting, I couldn’t mount up to Unicon and I had reset the world hour record before then, it’s an extra motivation not to fall off.

To get back to you Cathy, I don’t really have a clue what the public thinks, I do have the random “Why does he have a steer?” comment, I think like Mike said if you make it look easy they’ll think it is easy. I have some pretty big handles so it’s hard for the public not to notice, if I had to guess I’d say they think it’s easier.

EDIT: I agree with them

I believe he said, “The secret compartment of my ring I fill, with an Underdog super energy pill.”

Of course, having a super-hero rely on drugs is soooo politically incorrect these days.:wink:

Hey Underdog and everyone. Forgive me if I’m stating the obvious, but the easy, cheating, simple-no-nonsense-but-it-works way to mount a 36" wheel is … to hold on.

Place first foot on horizontal pedal, hold the top of the tyre and jump up. Yes, you still have to jump but it’s a lot easier than a ‘proper’ freemount. And when you are stuck on a stretch of open road with no lamppost in sight, that’s all that matters.

Another psychological tip that works for me is to focus on a spot on the ground about six feet ahead of the wheel as you jump up. Launch towards that rather than aiming to be upright, so that you are ready to push forwards, even if you don’t actually start further forwards than vertical.