frustrated!!!!!!

It took me two days, to learn to get full control / freemounts down properly and i’ve now been riding for five months.
Everyone is different! Just take it at your own pace is the best advice I can give, if you push yourself too hard to be like other people before you are ready you might find yourself not enjoying what you are doing.
Keep at it!

Took me about two weeks, an hour a day, to get comfty to ride. Free mounting, once I started, took about the same time frame. Now, a year later, I’m riding in the middle of the street with traffic going both ways. Yeah, its a bit insane, but down here its almost perfectly normal. Note: I don’t condone or support this type of riding, please do so at your own risk, and always wear a helmet and stuff My next two things to learn will be riding backwards and idling. I know it will take me some time, but in the long haul, it will make me a better, more responsible, rider.

I’m getting better at free mounts, about 2 out of 10 are successful which is good because i have only been practicing for 4 days

When i first started i couldn’t put my uni down lol i just kept trying and trying. I could free mount on my first day and ride close to 100 metres. second day i could hop on the spot. 1 week i rode 4km’s on a 20" I got so tired i had to keep dismounting :stuck_out_tongue: O how the rash on the legs herts :stuck_out_tongue: atm i have been riding for about a month and a half and can get onto a 1 1/2 palets (bricks under a palet) I can SI onto it 4/10 times :stuck_out_tongue: not great but i am getting better.
Keep practising, You will have to come into woopi and practise with me :smiley:

1) 2 months tops.
2) On, off for 4+ years now

See, i told you slowly your enemy will disappear and it is…slowly which is also good to see. :smiley:

One of the great things about unicycling is it teaches you patience.
it is not an instant gratification sport. You have to work, and put in the saddle time practicing…thats part of what makes it so rewarding.

Be glad it takes time…otherwise everyone would be doing the elite skills.

Just have fun and keep at it.

If it were easy it would be called bicycling.

:slight_smile:

It took me about an hour to learn to mount off a wall/pole/friend and ride as far as I wanted. Then another half hour or so to learn to freemount. Then about 10 min to learn how to hop up stairs. But I don’t like freemounting because about half the time when I sit down it crushes something that I don’t want crushed. How do you freemount without doing that?

I think it took me half an hour a night for a week to be ablse to ride a few metres, and a few more hours’ practice to be able to ride serious distances - half a mile or so at a time.

Freemounting consistently took me about 15 years to learn. Then someone showed me the secret.

Now I’ve been riding about 21 years, although only “seriously” for the last 5 or so.

It took me a long time to learn. I practiced out on my balcony of my apartment and in the hallway cause I needed to hold onto something on both sides. After I got fairly confident of how my balance worked, I got out into the parking lot and practiced by holding onto a pole to mount, taking a rotation or, if I was lucky, two and then losing it and having to start all over. This went on over the course of several months. Finally, got to the point where I could ride the width of the parking lot, which wasn’t very wide, but it was a huge accomplishment for me. I didn’t ride very often, a couple times a week or so, and I haven’t ridden in the winter yet, so I’ve taken the past 3 Nov - Apr periods of the year off from riding.

I’ve had my uni for about 3 years all together now. I ride to work whenever I can. It’s about a 5km trek up hill to work and down hill home. I’ve noticed my skill level has gone up considerably this year, free mounting is becoming a breeze and last week I just started to try and learn to ride back wards. I was able to mount, pedal forward a bit, then take a revolution backwards and then continue forwards twice in about a half hour period. Haven’t had any time to ride since then, but now I can’t wait to get on it again. Pretty sure this year I’ll be riding straight through the winter whenever I can now that I’m getting alright on it. :slight_smile:

Can you pass on the secreat to me please, it would be much appreciated! Thank-you!:wink:

Re: frustrated!!!

It took me a few days of practice to be able to ride around. I was
hopping after just a few minutes of trying. After a month now, I can
freemount, ride/stop/hop/continue riding, hop up stairs/curbs, and
ride or hop off of curbs.

I still have trouble turning left!

-Rico

I can turn left i just cant get up stairs :frowning: curbs i got

Well neither can paraplegics but hey at least you can turn left!

lol i dont understand stairs are so hard. side ways hopping is just way to hard altogether lol. But left and right are so easy :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had a break through, 350 m+ stopping only twice for roads! WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

does any one here have tips on riding backwards, and ideling?

Focus on something ahead of you and do not look down or backwards.

BTW. It took me 7 years to learn to free mount. :slight_smile:

Roger

It took me an hour a day for 6 wks to ride the full length of my 90 ft practice rail, 8 wks to have the skill/courage to ride away from the rail.

At 4 mo. I could do my 2.5 mi commute. At 6 I could do my commute at night on well light streets, road off my first curb, and at 10 months I could do it consistently and did my first Muni on smooth trails.

After 1.5 yrs I satarted learning to ride backwards, SIF, SIB. After 4 mo of daily 1 hr practice sessions I could do them fairly consistently w/o a rail, as well as occationally hop a few times.

I went back to my practice rail and did all the stuff I did to learn to ride.

Hold onto the rail while attempting to ride backwards, trying to hold on less and less. Focus on an object on the ground 10-15 yards in front of me, and as it gets too far away focus on another.

I put something on the railing about 15 yards before the end so I knew when to stop.

When I could ride it consistently I tried to ride frwd, bckwrd, frwd all w/o grabbing the rail and tried to repeat it as many times as I could.

Once I could ride SIF consistently w/ both hands, I lost interest in riding backwards (those UPD’s are really scarry) and now I can’t do it well at all.

I still can’t freemount:(, but I have a good excuse (paralysis in my lower legs, glutes and hips).

Cool just learnt how to free mount. Pretty easy now. I am learning ideling still. But do you have any tips on hopping and jumping. Just normal hopping for now, stairs will come with time…

Yay i got stairs the other day i can get up one or two But after i jump one i can get the second jump straight after :frowning: