frilly underthings: wearing your bike shorts all day

So, all last year I unicycled to work and, of course, I ended up getting those chaffing blisters on my legs. So, now that the weather has finally shaped up for riding, I’ve picked up some bike shorts. This is my first pair, so I’m getting used to it. They really help, no doubt.

For the first time this year, I rode to work. I decided to wear the bike shorts under my jeans and just wear them all day, as if the bike shorts were my underwear. Anybody ever do this? It’s the end of my work day and they are starting to get uncomfortable. Any known problems with this? Is this normal or totally wierd?

Re: frilly underthings: wearing your bike shorts all day

In article <nbrazzi.juh2m@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
nbrazzi <nbrazzi.juh2m@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)For the first time this year, I rode to work. I decided to wear the
)bike shorts under my jeans and just wear them all day, as if the bike
)shorts were my underwear. Anybody ever do this? It’s the end of my
)work day and they are starting to get uncomfortable. Any known problems
)with this? Is this normal or totally wierd?

I wear bike shorts under jeans sometimes. It works best with shorts
that have a fairly thin and flexible pad, and no drawstring. On a daily
basis I bring underwear to change into, but for certain kinds of
events (like when I unicycle up to my bridge game on Mondays) it works
better just to wear the shorts under jeans or khakis.
-Tom

I made a pledge to myself, just tonight, that I will NEVER ride more than just a few minutes without cycling shorts. I’ve had some chaffing before from cycling and from unicycling but I’m currently nursing what seems like a near-terminal case. My wife was heading out for a run last Sunday and I decide to go with her on my 26" Sem and wearing jeans. Not only did I do her 4 miles quickly but I rode with her like puppies off the lead line often do - doing about twice the distance as I hopped and cris-crossed her path numerous times looking for fun things to play on. The result was world class chaffing. Just as Sofa said about those wrist guards, wear your cycling shorts! After more years of wearing cycling shorts than I would like to remember, I always tried to change out of them as soon as I could. They are design to wick away the moisture but they tend to hold that moisture too. This is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. This could lead to some nasty saddle sores - a real pain in the butt.

I always wear cycling shorts when cycling, but find them uncomfortable for anything but cycling. I usually drive to where I ride, change into them, ride, change out of them, and drive back home. Aside from comfort, it also keeps my cloth seats from making my truck smell like a locker room. (Bi)Cyclists are often (not) seen changing shorts under a towel and I have followed in their foot steps. It feels awkward at first, but you get used to it. If a locker room or mens room were available, I guess I’d change there, but it is refreshing to change in a parking lot while engaged in conversation with the local strangers (who may also be changing under a towel). -Maybe it’s just a Texas thing.

You can actually buy a wrap around skirt type thing (it actually looks a bit like a kilt) so you can change your shorts in a parking lot or in the middle of the infield during a track race. The first time I saw one of those skirts at a track race at a velodrome. I’ve found that mountain bikers tend to be less modest than the track cyclists.

The skirt thing is sold by a cycling clothing company, but I can’t remember their name.

On that note, does one usually buy cycling shorts at a bike store, department store, or online? How do I ensure quality? Do they make them specific to women and men, or it is one-size-fits-all?

Cycling shorts are specific for men and women. The shape of the pad is different in the mens and womens models.

They are not one size fits all. So you need to get the correct size.

You should get your first shorts at a bicycle store. They can help you get the correct size and help you pick a model and brand that will work best for you. After you find your size and know the features that you want then you can start ordering them online. Watch for sales and then buy a bunch. Cycling shorts fit snugly.

In general the more you pay the better the shorts. There are differences in the style, design, and materials in the pad. There are differences in the fabric. There are differences in how they are sewn together.

More panels generally means that they will stretch better in the right directions. The upper end shorts generally use 8 panels. Flat seams are also more comfortable. The different fabrics also factor in to how well they wick away moisture, how well they stretch, how well they hold up, etc.

And then you’ll need chamois lube or skin lubricant.
Chamois BUTT’r
<http://www.pacelineproducts.com/menu_pages/products/chamois.htm&gt;
or Bodyglide
<http://www.bodyglide.com/&gt;

Nick,

I’ve worn bike pants for most of the day a few time which wasn’t too bad but never all day. One thing you may find useful is to flip the elasticy things at the bottom of each leg over so that the elasticy rubber stuff doesn’t irritate your legs.

Andrew

I think it depends on how hard you’re working while you’re riding. If you’re sweating hard your shorts will get pretty nasty, and you definitely don’t want to stew in them all day.

If your ride is easy and casual and you get to work feeling daisy-fresh, you might be able to get away with wearing them all day - but I think it would still be more comfy to slip into the gents’ and change into boxers. Then your bike shorts will be nice and dry for the ride home (for the truly fastidious, you can bring another set for the ride home).

Bacteria are a real concern, though - I’d recommend you err on the side of caution (and comfort).

If you do get chafing, I recommend bag balm.

Tim

Over the past 10 or years or more, I have tried many different styles and brands of cycling shorts. These are some of the most comfortable ones that I’ve tried and Performance really backs their product if you have any problems:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.html?SKU=2241&Store=Bike

I used to wear bicycling shorts until I tried on one of John’s skirts. Man, oh man, are they liberating!! And for some reason he has a whole closet full of them. With all kinds of pumps and matching accessories.

I’m wearing cyclingshorts under my slacks right now; the silky smooth material makes me feel pritty and self confident. I make a point of wearing them to staff meetings; you carry yourself differently when you wear them, and people can tell that you’re a ‘serious man of action.’ I’d like to tell you more- so why don’t you call me?: it’s only $1.98 for the first 2 minutes. Just say to the switch board operator, “Greg, connect me to a unicyclist please,” and have you’re credit card number ready.

-Christopher

NOW I know why Steve changed the sadle on Blue Shift when he got it.

-C

Does anyone just wear the bike shorts under some regular shorts when riding? I bought some of the padded underwear and it really didn’t do much. I prefer the look of the regular shorts.

Though, I definately would go for a change soon after riding. You never know what can grow in those shorts.

that would be me.works great.

Re: frilly underthings: wearing your bike shorts all day

Yes people do this. There are even cycle shorts you can buy which are designed for this kind of thing.

There are a couple of possible problems though, especially for guys. The main concern is that since cycle shorts are so close fitting they retain heat very well and can adversely affect your chances of having kids.

You may not be aware that sperm are very fragile and will only survive in a very narrow temperature range. Wearing your cycle shorts for extended periods of time will likely result in a lower sperm count and a decreased chance of reproduction.

Also heat plus sweat may lead to fungal infections (ala atheletes foot)

I change out of cycling shorts despite the added 2 minutes of hassle.

Here’s a couple things to help with this discussion…

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=115

and here’s a tip that some may not want to hear…when your wearing those tight, well padded cycling shorts…DO NOT wear underwear or any other device of that nature. If the shorts are fitted properly, cycling shorts will work the best and alleviate chaffing when they are used alone.

My favorite high quality shorts are from Descente and Pearl Izumi

http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizumi/site/catalog/?iType=2

Good Stuff.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:29:29 -0600, peter.bier <peter.bier.jw510@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>There are a couple of possible problems though, especially for guys.
>The main concern is that since cycle shorts are so close fitting they
>retain heat very well and can adversely affect your chances of having
>kids.
>
>You may not be aware that sperm are very fragile and will only survive
>in a very narrow temperature range. Wearing your cycle shorts for
>extended periods of time will likely result in a lower sperm count and a
>decreased chance of reproduction.

A word of reassurance, getting a bit technical though. I think the danger is only on the sperm already produced and waiting to be released. So that is to say that the lower ‘fertility’ is only temporary, and should be back to normal within days. A hot bath has the same effect on the sperm count, probably even worse as it might get to 40 deg C; you won’t get that high from cycling in tight shorts.

Klaas Bil

(reposted because newsgroup posting hadn’t come through the next day)

Yes! That’s the kilt thingy I was thinking of. A great way to be able to drop your shorts at a bicycle race. What’s strange though, is that I’ve only seen roadies use the kilt. I’ve never seen a mountain biker use one when changing their shorts in the middle of the parking lot after a ride.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to muni while wearing a kilt. The kilt would get in the way of grabbing the handle. Hmmm… I guess that’s why there is no unicycling events at the Highland Games.

Holy crap!
Why don’t you guys try this…wrap your special towel/kilt around your head and change out of your shortpants. You can’t see that no one cares if you are changing out of your shorts, but you can still think it’s a big deal and be happy. then you can move on with more important things like in a PB&J, which side does the peanut butter go on, top or bottom?

Oh, try the high quality baggy-style mountain shorts from NEMA

http://www.nema-usa.com/

they’re Dy-no-mite!