Freewheeling part 3

All the snow and ice sadly melted this week, but on the bright side I got the chance to freewheel a little bit. I didn’t know if I could bunny hop and freemount up hill, so todays goal was to find out. Even though I look stupid when I bunny hop, it wasn’t hard to do.

You are getting good! Do you keep most pressure on forward pedal when hopping? I couldn’t get rid of that yesterday when I tried hopping, It at least felt more stupid than your hops look! :smiley: I even filmed that! When I tried to get closer to equal pedal pressure I felt like looping out even though that was not happening… You had good looking freewheeling on the video too! Did you drag your brake a little all the time or were there “pure” freewheeling sections too?

Thanks!

No, equal pressure on both pedals. With the brake engaged it feels like normal bunny hopping. You have to be careful though. According to waaalrus these hubs are not as solid as our normal muni hubs.

Yes, I’m pulling the brake all the time. I’m not at the level yet where I can coast without the brake.

It’s just that the hub is cotterless (17mm diameter) like cheaper or trainer fixed unicycles and not ISIS (22mm diameter). The more you weigh and the higher you hop the more likely you’ll bend the spindle. I bent one doing this:

Hmm… that looks to be about the same as I did. Was that the same hub too (Nimbus Drift Trike)? I may actually have bent the spindle a little bit. It is barely noticable, but at one point it is slightly harder to turn the crank. Can the spindle be replaced?

I guess I’ll have to try to make a sharp turn instead of hopping when mounting uphill.

Hmm… that looks to be about the same as I did. Was that the same hub too (Nimbus Drift Trike)? I may actually have bent the spindle a little bit. It is barely noticable, but at one point it is slightly harder to turn the crank. Can the spindle be replaced?

I guess I’ll have to try to make a sharp turn instead of hopping when I mount uphill.

Sounds crazy that the spindle would bend with something like waaalrus did in the video. :astonished: I also noticed earlier that my cranks had a tighter point, that was luckily just a little too tight bearing holder on one side.

Today I got my freewheel uni in the mail. yayay. The last one Municycle.com had in stock.
When you hop, you hold the brake right? Unimyra, do you think it is easier to get on the freewheeler when hopping first?

You have progressed really well, so I can have a bit of an idea how long it will take me to reach that level. It will take quite a while to get there.

Here in NL we had lots of snow and were sent home from the office because of an expected “snowstorm”, which never arrived. Luckily the snow is melting today again. Don’t like it. Yesterday tried riding in it with the Hatchet, but tank or not, I thought it was quite difficult.

That’s great! I didn’t know you could buy one ready to go.

I do, but since waaalrus has adviced against hopping I’ll try to avoid it in the future.

No, the mount is the same whether i hop or not. (On bigger wheels I hop to correct sloppy mounts, but I consider this to be a bad habit.)

I enjoy the learning process. I’ve had about 10-11 one hour practice sessions, and every single time the last half hour has been better than the previos session.