Freewheel unicycle

Most of the freewheel unicycles I’ve seen use the front hub from a ‘Big Wheel’ or ‘Green Machine’ tricycle, then all you have to do is modify a unicycle frame slightly to fit the new axle.

Try sending a personal message to JohnFoss, he’s been involved in unicycling a long time and collects historical unicycles, he’s probably most able to answer your questions.

how do you modify it?

Well it depends exactly how the trike wheel fixed in to its frame. Worst case, cut whatever bearing holders the trike had off the trike frame and weld them on to the legs of a unicycle frame that has had its bearing holders cut off. A more elegant solution may be possible depending on exactly what is required and what machining facilities you have available.

i am making a frewheeling uni with gears and a brake, not to sure it will be rideable but i will definatly give it a godd try, here is a link to the thread i started on it… uni with gears, brakes and freewheeling hub

i real want one like the video is the 1 page of comments on it. Im gonna buy a green maching and make one. What do you do witht eh Green machine after you buy it to make the Coaster

It’ll probebly be like a geiraph so you should be able to
ride it. coastering should prove a challeng though :wink:

This is a reply from a similar post…but I think it applies just the same here.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1206976233

Kevin Jones seems to have figured something out…the video’s from his myspace, hit him up…maybe he can steer you in the right direction. Not a uni, but same concept. Keep in mind that he has super-human balance(really.), so it prob. won’t be as easy to ride as he makes it look. Be nice if you write him, he’s a legend in the sport. Good luck!

maybe it seems impossible but there is a way to make a freewheel unicycle on which u can ride forward and backward :), i’m just waiting for components, that i,ve ordered (isis plugs for cranks :). there’ll be possibility to brake without hand brake :slight_smile: just keep fingers crossed and i promise i’ll bring it to reality and of course i’ll show it to ya;)

I wonder if anyone could take this to a Halfpipe, or a bowl. That would Up unicycling as we know it.