Freewheel Unicycle

Has anyone here ever heard of or thought of making a freewheeled unicycle? Something like a bike, where you can pedal forwards and then coast with your feet on the pedals. A unicycle like this would be great for dirt jumping or skatepark riding. If anyone has any information, please share it. Thanks.

Search this board and you will find several referances.

I think someone brought this idea up a few months ago. The idea is
probably not all too safe. think about it, do you want to be in the air,
when you land the wheel will go flying out under from you, and you cant
slow down? doesnt sound fun to me. Max

ffej485 wrote:

> Has anyone here ever heard of or thought of making a freewheeled
> unicycle? Something like a bike, where you can pedal forwards and then
> coast with your feet on the pedals. A unicycle like this would be great
> for dirt jumping or skatepark riding. If anyone has any information,
> please share it. Thanks.
>
> –
> ffej485 Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> http://unicyclist.com/forums

I built one about 15 years ago. But quickly converted it to direct drive.
It was just too frustrating for me to keep trying to ride it. It was a 10"
tire with a 3:1 chain drive. I still have the cycle but it’s direct drive.
To change it back I’d just need to replace the wheel with a coaster brake
wheel but I don’t plan to do that.

-mg

“ffej485” <forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:9rnrhf$shi$1@laurel.tc.umn.edu
> Has anyone here ever heard of or thought of making a freewheeled
> unicycle? Something like a bike, where you can pedal forwards and then
> coast with your feet on the pedals. A unicycle like this would be great
> for dirt jumping or skatepark riding. If anyone has any information,
> please share it. Thanks.
>
>
>
>
> –
> ffej485 Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> http://unicyclist.com/forums

Yer kiddin’, right?

Christopher

ffej485 wrote:
>
> Has anyone here ever heard of or thought of making a freewheeled
> unicycle? Something like a bike, where you can pedal forwards and then
> coast with your feet on the pedals. A unicycle like this would be great
> for dirt jumping or skatepark riding. If anyone has any information,
> please share it. Thanks.
>
> –
> ffej485 Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> http://unicyclist.com/forums

Not only can you now slow down you have to be contstantly accelerating,
because you can’t use any back pressure

In article <3BE02E39.C303478F@yahoo.com>, Christopher Grove
<c_r_grove@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yer kiddin’, right?
>
> Christopher
>
>
>
> ffej485 wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone here ever heard of or thought of making a freewheeled
> > unicycle? Something like a bike, where you can pedal forwards and then
> > coast with your feet on the pedals. A unicycle like this would be
> > great for dirt jumping or skatepark riding. If anyone has any
> > information, please share it. Thanks.
> >
> > –
> > ffej485 Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> > http://unicyclist.com/forums

Why not look into building one with a MUni brake fitted. That way you
could lock out the wheel if required. Also some type of braking device
which allows the rider to switch between freewheeling and non-freewheeling
must be within the capacity of the engineering types out there.

David www.straitjacketcircus.co.uk

Jeff Sargeant <jsargean@usc.edu> wrote in message
news:jsargean-3110010911200001@dynamic-245-077.usc.edu
> Not only can you now slow down you have to be contstantly accelerating,
> because you can’t use any back pressure
>
> In article <3BE02E39.C303478F@yahoo.com>, Christopher Grove
> <c_r_grove@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Yer kiddin’, right?
> >
> > Christopher
> >
> >
> >
> > ffej485 wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone here ever heard of or thought of making a freewheeled
> > > unicycle? Something like a bike, where you can pedal forwards and
> > > then coast with your feet on the pedals. A unicycle like this
> > > would be
great
> > > for dirt jumping or skatepark riding. If anyone has any information,
> > > please share it. Thanks.
> > >
> > > –
> > > ffej485 Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> > > http://unicyclist.com/forums

Hi,

The only way I could think of doing it would be as stated before. You could use a MUni with a brake, so when you land, you could apply the brake for some back pressure, and when you land, you’re supposed to role out of your drops anyway. I hope someone will give this a try. I doubt there are any good enough hubs and axles so you could get in the air without braking something.

Evan

Christopher Grove wrote:
>
> Yer kiddin’, right?
>
> Christopher
>
> ffej485 wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone here ever heard of or thought of making a freewheeled
> > unicycle? Something like a bike, where you can pedal forwards and then
> > coast with your feet on the pedals. A unicycle like this would be
> > great for dirt jumping or skatepark riding. If anyone has any
> > information, please share it. Thanks.
> >
> > –
> > ffej485 Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> > http://unicyclist.com/forums

Hmmm… come to think of it. If you used a similar idea to old fashioned
coaster brakes for bicycles, you could peddle forward normally, coast just
like a coaster brake then when you wanted to backpeddle it would catch
just the way a coaster brake on the bicycle would.

Assuming that the mechanism was strong enough (no hop, skip or jumping) it
maybe could work.

Whaddya think guys!??

Christopher Grove


“Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.” -Basil King (Anyone who
can give me more info on THIS Basil King please email
me.)

My short story at: http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manusc-
ript=6862016&t=The+Determination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&srdt=-
9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32%3A05+AM&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=4000&-
s=735143750&folder=Search+Results

Well, as I mentioned in my earlier post on this subject I did build a
unicycle that had a coaster brake. I was never able to ride it for more
that about 5 feet. The main problem for me was that as soon as my center
of gravity moved behind the wheel I could not activate the brake in time
and I’d fall off backwards. The cranks needed to rotate about 30 degrees
to actuate the coaster brake so the “slack” was too severe for me to ever
learn to reliably ride the beast. Even when I was able to hit the brakes I
usually hit them too hard (free spinning the cranks 30 degrees backwards
and then carefully modulating the braking forces was a skill the eluded
me) causing me to fall forward.

I’m not one to ever say something can’t be done. After all, consider how
difficult it must be to ride a 2 wheel giraffe, a 1 1/2 wheel giraffe, an
ultimate wheel, or an impossible wheel (but apparently all of these can be
learned) But for me, the coaster brake unicycle falls into the category of
“too difficult for too little benefit”.

“Christopher Grove” <c_r_grove@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3BE069F9.E88E9F1@yahoo.com
> Christopher Grove wrote:
> >
> > Yer kiddin’, right?
> >
> > Christopher
> >
> > ffej485 wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone here ever heard of or thought of making a freewheeled
> > > unicycle? Something like a bike, where you can pedal forwards and
> > > then coast with your feet on the pedals. A unicycle like this
> > > would be
great
> > > for dirt jumping or skatepark riding. If anyone has any information,
> > > please share it. Thanks.
> > >
> > > –
> > > ffej485 Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> > > http://unicyclist.com/forums
>
>
> Hmmm… come to think of it. If you used a similar idea to old fashioned
> coaster brakes for bicycles, you could peddle forward normally, coast
> just like a coaster brake then when you wanted to backpeddle it would
> catch just the way a coaster brake on the bicycle would.
>
> Assuming that the mechanism was strong enough (no hop, skip or jumping)
> it maybe could work.
>
> Whaddya think guys!??
>
> Christopher Grove
>
> –
> “Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.” -Basil King (Anyone
> who can give me more info on THIS Basil King please email
> me.)
>
> My short story at:
>
http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manuscript=6862016&t=The±
Det ermination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&srdt=9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32-
%3A05+A M&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=4000&s=735143750&folde-
r=Search+Re sults

Michael Grant wrote:
>
> <snip>

>the cranks needed to rotate about 30 degrees to actuate the coaster brake
>so the “slack” was too severe for me to ever >learn to reliably ride the
>beast. Even when I was able to hit the brakes I usually hit them too hard
>(free spinning the cranks 30 degrees backwards >and then carefully
>modulating the braking forces was a skill the eluded me) causing me to
>fall forward.

<snip>

Hmmm… I wonder if it would be ridable if that ‘slack’ that you mentioned
were reduced in the design. If the mechanism were to engage at only… say
5 degrees or even less…

That would of course mean more engineering than just taking an old coaster
hub and putting it on a unicycle. I wonder how complicated it would be?

Christopher


“Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.” -Basil King (Anyone who
can give me more info on THIS Basil King please email
me.)

My short story at: http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manusc-
ript=6862016&t=The+Determination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&srdt=-
9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32%3A05+AM&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=4000&-
s=735143750&folder=Search+Results

Of course, you don’t want to reduce the slack too much: if the wheel
starts spinning slightly faster than the frame, for example if you rock
backwards on the frame while going over a bump, the brake will
automatically activate. It would also make it hard to freewheel because
the margin between freewheeling and braking would be greatly reduced.

nic

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Christopher Grove wrote:

> Michael Grant wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
>
> >the cranks needed to rotate about 30 degrees to actuate the coaster
> >brake so the “slack” was too severe for me to ever >learn to reliably
> >ride the beast. Even when I was able to hit the brakes I usually hit
> >them too hard (free spinning the cranks 30 degrees backwards >and then
> >carefully modulating the braking forces was a skill the eluded me)
> >causing me to fall forward.
>
> <snip>
>
>
> Hmmm… I wonder if it would be ridable if that ‘slack’ that you
> mentioned were reduced in the design. If the mechanism were to engage at
> only… say 5 degrees or even less…
>
> That would of course mean more engineering than just taking an old
> coaster hub and putting it on a unicycle. I wonder how complicated it
> would be?
>
> Christopher
>
> –
> “Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.” -Basil King (Anyone
> who can give me more info on THIS Basil King please email
> me.)
>
> My short story at: http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manu-
> script=6862016&t=The+Determination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&s-
> rdt=9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32%3A05+AM&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps-
> =4000&s=735143750&folder=Search+Results
> _______________________________________________
> rsu mailing list rsu@unicycling.org
> http://www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

why not make a hub that could fit a disk brake? then use the brake when you want to normal uni and not when you wanted free wheel? or would have naturally be to slow to react in time?
any thoughts?

tim

i worship jesus

> Hmmm… I wonder if it would be ridable if that ‘slack’ that you
> mentioned were reduced in the design. If the mechanism were to engage at
> only… say 5 degrees or even less…
>
> That would of course mean more engineering than just taking an old
> coaster hub and putting it on a unicycle. I wonder how complicated it
> would be?
>
> Christopher

If you were doing something to a coaster brake hub to make less slack, it
would be nice to make one where the brake shoe locked into the outer bit
of the hub so that you when you activated by backpedalling it actually
turned the wheel backwards. Then you’d have pedalling backwards, pedalling
forwards and coasting all at once.

That would be the perfect uni-coaster hub, you might even be able
to idle on
it.

Joe

> > Hmmm… I wonder if it would be ridable if that ‘slack’ that you
> > mentioned were reduced in the design. If the mechanism were to engage
> > at only… say 5 degrees or even less…
> >
> > That would of course mean more engineering than just taking an old
> > coaster hub and putting it on a unicycle. I wonder how complicated it
> > would be?
> >
> > Christopher
>
> If you were doing something to a coaster brake hub to make less slack,
> it would be nice to make one where the brake shoe locked into the outer
> bit of the hub so that you when you activated by backpedalling it
> actually turned the wheel backwards. Then you’d have pedalling
> backwards, pedalling forwards and coasting all at once.
>
> That would be the perfect uni-coaster hub, you might even be able
> to idle on
> it.
>
> Joe

I don’t understand the mechanics of this but if it would work, I think
this is the way to go for free wheeling.

Lowell

Joe Marshall wrote:
>
> > Hmmm… I wonder if it would be ridable if that ‘slack’ that you
> > mentioned were reduced in the design. If the mechanism were to engage
> > at only… say 5 degrees or even less…
> >
> > That would of course mean more engineering than just taking an old
> > coaster hub and putting it on a unicycle. I wonder how complicated it
> > would be?
> >
> > Christopher
>
> If you were doing something to a coaster brake hub to make less slack,
> it would be nice to make one where the brake shoe locked into the outer
> bit of the hub so that you when you activated by backpedalling it
> actually turned the wheel backwards. Then you’d have pedalling
> backwards, pedalling forwards and coasting all at once.
>
> That would be the perfect uni-coaster hub, you might even be able
> to idle on
> it.
>
> Joe

I kind of assumed that that’s what I was talking about but I guess it
would normally act the same way as on a bike.

I think that the thing stopping a coaster bike from rolling backwards is a
separate ratchet device which could be disabled, but I don’t really know
as I haven’t taken one apart. I think that it is that little lever at the
side of the hub that goes forward and is clamped to the frame tubing. ??
Do you remember?

I remember as a kid being totally fascinated by both the coaster brake hub
and the three-speed hub. I wanted to take some apart then.

I guess I should have, eh!? :slight_smile:

Christopher Grove


“Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.” -Basil King (Anyone who
can give me more info on THIS Basil King please email
me.)

My short story at: http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manusc-
ript=6862016&t=The+Determination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&srdt=-
9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32%3A05+AM&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=4000&-
s=735143750&folder=Search+Results

Christopher Grove wrote:
>
> Joe Marshall wrote:

<snip>
>
> I kind of assumed that that’s what I was talking about but I guess it
> would normally act the same way as on a bike.
>
> I think that the thing stopping a coaster bike from rolling backwards is
> a separate ratchet device which could be disabled, but I don’t really
> know as I haven’t taken one apart. I think that it is that little lever
> at the side of the hub that goes forward and is clamped to the frame
> tubing. ?? Do you remember?
>
> I remember as a kid being totally fascinated by both the coaster brake
> hub and the three-speed hub. I wanted to take some apart then.
>
> I guess I should have, eh!? :slight_smile:
>
> Christopher Grove

Jeeze… now I’m really worked up! I wanna see in side one of these
things!

I’m a little fuzzy this time in the morning and I don’t know if there
would be a separate ratchet type thing or not.

It seems to me that a softer brake-pad type thingo would be employed to
actually bring the bike to a halt and then a hard ratchety type action to
keep it from going backwards… on the coaster bike I mean. The hard
ratchety type thingo is attached to that little arm/lever thingy that is
clamped to the frame tubing.

Has anyone here actually taken one of these apart. You guys are probably
too young! hehe I’m 42.

Jeeze… I’m feeling old all of a sudden! I started unicycling to feel
younger and now I’m being made to feel older! “Man!!” :wink:

Christopher

“Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.” -Basil King (Anyone who
can give me more info on THIS Basil King please email
me.)

My short story at: http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manusc-
ript=6862016&t=The+Determination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&srdt=-
9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32%3A05+AM&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=4000&-
s=735143750&folder=Search+Results

Hey: we’re hip, Dady-O. Don’t be traped by the four walls- you’r no square! You dig? Old guys are groovey!

(Ah, the bitter dichotomy of the Uni: they make you feel young, while emphisizing your age… not strange at all that they be the target of a mid-life crisis (like hang gliding, etc). You ask yourself “Why have I not been doing THAT?” This is what makes you a Unicyclist: your THAT is a unicycle)

Sturmey-Archer has a nice little piece about their 3-speed hubs. They also have a section view. I’m sure you can find some other source for a view of coaster brakes.

I only wish I were 42 again.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/layout1.htm

rhysling wrote:
>
> Hey: we’re hip, Dady-O. Don’t be traped by the four walls- you’r no
> square! You dig? Old guys are groovey!
>
> (Ah, the bitter dichotomy of the Uni: they make you feel young, while
> emphisizing your age… not strange at all that they be the target of a
> mid-life crisis (like hang gliding, etc). You ask yourself "Why have I
> not been doing THAT?" This is what makes you a Unicyclist: your THAT is
> a unicycle)

It was a unicycle PURELY because I couldn’t afford a helocopter! hehe

Christopher

PS… Your replies are still not inline with the thread that you’re
replying to Chris… what’s up?

“Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.” -Basil King (Anyone who
can give me more info on THIS Basil King please email
me.)

My short story at: http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manusc-
ript=6862016&t=The+Determination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&srdt=-
9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32%3A05+AM&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=4000&-
s=735143750&folder=Search+Results