Freemount on an incline

I started learning to ride a unicycle in November. By taking advantage of
any day warm enough to melt the snow on my long driveway (or risking limbs
attempting to do stuff on snow and ice) I have worked up to the point where
I can freemount, ride as far as I want, turn circles… but I have a very
difficult time getting started on an incline. If I lean forward far enough
to get going, often the uni just shoots out behind me.

Any hints? Or is the answer: “practice, practice, practice”?

Thanks,
Tom.

> I can freemount, ride as far as I want, turn circles… but I
> have a very
> difficult time getting started on an incline. If I lean forward far enough
> to get going, often the uni just shoots out behind me.
> Any hints? Or is the answer: “practice, practice, practice”?

Aside from practice to the third power, mounting uphill is definitely harder
than on level ground or downhill. Especially off road. If you can, mount
perpendicular to the incline, then turn uphill. This should help. Then, make
sure you’re holding onto the seat. If the wheel is shooting out, this means
your feet aren’t keeping good contact with the pedals. Learn to pedal on
more than just the downstroke of the pedal; this is extra important when
going uphill.

Then practice, practice, practice.

Have fun,
JF

tmontgom@sympatico.ca writes:
>I started learning to ride a unicycle in November. By taking advantage of
>any day warm enough to melt the snow on my long driveway (or risking limbs
>attempting to do stuff on snow and ice) I have worked up to the point
>where
>I can freemount, ride as far as I want, turn circles… but I have a
>very
>difficult time getting started on an incline. If I lean forward far enough
>to get going, often the uni just shoots out behind me.
>
>Any hints? Or is the answer: “practice, practice, practice”?
Well, that’s part of it. But like most beginners, you may be starting with
one of the pedals almost straight down rather than halfway up. Mounting
that way is tough enough, but on an incline it would be harder. If you
never mastered the type of mount where one leg ‘freezes’ with the pedal
halfway up and stays put while the other leg gets set up, try it (use a
wall).

Co-founder, Unatics of NY
1st Sunday / 3rd Saturday
@ Central Park Bandshell
1:30 start time after 11/1/01

For ease of mounting on a hill, I suppose I would perfer to mount pointing uphill, or perpandicular, instead of downhill (assuming a prohibitively steep incline. This is not neccessarly true on shallow slopes or large [heavy] wheels). Learning to mount into a still stand and hop can be great for sticking steep hill mounts (learning progression for still stands mount being: iddle/roll back> hop> still stand> jump mount).

Christopher

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

By the time I’m finished work today I think the predicted snowstorm will
have arrived (I live in Quebec, near the Vermont border). I may have to
postpone practicing for a while - a layer of snow and freezing rain wouldn’t
make it any easier to get going on an uphill slope! (But downhill could be
exciting!)

Tom.

Would “jump mount to a hopping seat out in front position” be a solution ? I am
just asking because I found it very easy to accomplish (I was already able to
free mount to a hopping position before though). I fact, only the fear to try
it the first time was a real concern (by the way, I did “jump mount to a
hopping seat out in front position” as a prerequisite for “jump mount”).

Hope this helps !

Christian,
Québec City

Tom wrote:

> I started learning to ride a unicycle in November. By taking advantage of
> any day warm enough to melt the snow on my long driveway (or risking limbs
> attempting to do stuff on snow and ice) I have worked up to the point where
> I can freemount, ride as far as I want, turn circles… but I have a very
> difficult time getting started on an incline. If I lean forward far enough
> to get going, often the uni just shoots out behind me.
>
> Any hints? Or is the answer: “practice, practice, practice”?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom.

I like to freemount to stand still or hop and then lean pretty far forward and pedal to get the momentum going. It works okay for me but it certainly isn’t graceful :slight_smile:
As far as the snow goes it’s great for practice as long as there isn’t ice underneath. The snow slows the Uni/Muni down a bit giving a little more control. We just got 15 cm of snow and I can’t wait to get out there :smiley:

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:32:28 -0500, “David Stone” <dstone@packer.edu>
wrote:

>If you
>never mastered the type of mount where one leg ‘freezes’ with the pedal
>halfway up and stays put while the other leg gets set up, try it (use a
>wall).
I found a wall counterproductive for practicing mounts because I tend
to rely on the wall as opposed to on myself. This may be personal,
though.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“mi5, FAS, AOL”

Ya, and they get in the way. If the mount is dangerous without a support, get a spoter.

Christopher

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Klaas Bil, post to Rec.Sport.Unicycling every day using a different name.”

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:36:00 +0000 (UTC), rhysling
<forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote:

>For ease of mounting on a hill, I suppose I would perfer to mount
>pointing uphill, or perpandicular, instead of downhill

That is surprising. I have difficulty mounting uphill with the
standard mount: I cannot freeze my leg enough and the wheel shoots
backward. More success with the 6 o’clock mount if you see what I
mean. Downhill standard mounts OTOH are real easy.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“mi5, FAS, AOL”

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 03:16:07 +0000 (UTC), rhysling
<forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote:

>"To
>trigger/fool/saturate/overload Klaas Bil, post to Rec.Sport.Unicycling
>every day using a different name."
Haha, if I will do another newsgroup statistics project at the end of
2002, I won’t be overloaded in any way by your use of different names
every day. That part of the process is automated.

But weren’t you the one who was proud of the two Christophers’s high
scores? You won’t be nowhere changing your name so often.

OK you triggered me.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“1071, TRIN00, utopia”