Freemount Help

I’m trying to learn to freemount. The static (?) method seems to work best for me. I get it right about every 10th time or so.

Here is what seems to happen: I get on the uni with both feet on the pedals with no problem. The pedals are at apprx 5 and 11 o’clock. Then I just stall. I can’t seem to get my weight forward on the uni. The result: I just set there locked in one place for a bit without harley moving at all.

Any suggestions?

Newtouni

that happend with me as well, what helped me was if i would start with the left pedal all the way down, so i could put my left foot on the pedal and push down and the wheel wouldnt go anywhere, then i would hold the front of the seat and swing myself up putting my right foot on the right pedal, then pushing with my right foot first…sorry if that didnt make much sense…oh also it may be easier for you if you are left footed to start with the right pedal down instead of the left…hope i helped

Collin

This is how I freemount my Coker as I’m still learning on the "big wheel.

I set the rear (left) pedal at the 5 o’clock position with the front (right) pedal at 11 o’clock.
As I put my left foot on the pedal, I push off with my right and this places the right pedal at 2 o’clock as my foot hits the pedal.
This gives me a little forward momentum and a good downward pedal stroke with my dominant (right) foot to get things moving.

Have you tried 7 and 1 instead of 5 and 11? That’s how I’ve always done it. then when you get on the up pedal is already in a good position to be pushed down. Lean forward a little bit as you do it and off you go.

Re: Freemount Help

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:55:18 -0600, newtouni wrote:

>Here is what seems to happen: I get on the uni with both feet on the
>pedals with no problem. The pedals are at apprx 5 and 11 o’clock. Then
>I just stall. I can’t seem to get my weight forward on the uni. The
>result: I just set there locked in one place for a bit without harley
>moving at all.

You’ll need to push harder during the mount. The objective is that you
end up with your weight forward of the wheel so that you need to pedal
to prevent falling forward. “Jumping” into a perfect balance isn’t
going to get you anywhere (by definition).

Also remember, around 11 o’clock is about the worst position to apply
power. Try having the pedals more like 4 and 10 o’clock at the moment
the second foot arrives.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Heck, even my toes were aching from trying to grip the soles of my shoes! - Tommy Thompson”

I mount with the pedals level. I push down on the seat with most of my weight as i get my right foot onto the front pedal.

http://www.unicycle.or.kr/movie/mount/13a.mpg
http://www.unicycle.or.kr/movie/mount/13b.mpg

And a bunch more videos.

http://www.unicycle.or.kr/english/index_english.htm

I had the same problem, and it’s not until later when you learn where your weight is that you can have the pedals at like exteremer angles like 10 and 4 o’clock.

I found that doing a tiny back pedal helps. This is because when sitting on the seat, with our knees bent, it’s easier to push like this. Sure you could go and get some surgery to make your knees bend the other way. The simpler solution however is to make a tiny back pedal, then since your lower foot is lifted up, push down with that and ride away.

Start holding onto a wall with you pedals at 12 and 6 o’clock, let go and do a tiny back pedal, then start off riding. When you’re confident move to starting without the wall.

Just my suggestion. Although the knees bending the wrong way thing is pretty tempting too!

put your foot on the pedal, close your eyes and go!

heh heh good luck :stuck_out_tongue:

Once you mount you have to start “falling forward” to move on. Try this exercise:

1. Block the wheel so it can’t roll back. Mount several times but rather than going to the forward pedal simply step over the unicycle and dismount to the front.

2. With wheel still blocked mount several times and ride away.

3. Repeat step 1 with the wheel free, step over the unicycle and dismount. Work on limiting the amount of roll back, keep the cranks near horizontal. Don’t try to ride away yet.

4. Then if you can do step 2 consistently, with out the wheel blocked, you have mastered freemounting!

For the roll back mount I like to roll back a full 1/2 revolution so the pedal is near horizontal. Only rolling back 1/4, where the cranks are near perpendicular, just makes things more difficult.

Are you guys really mounting with the high foot near your body? Or am I just reading the clock diagrams wrong? I always have the high foot away from my body, on the start of the downstroke. I can’t even imagine trying it the other way. Do you first roll backwards then take off?

I’ve also found, at least with my coker, that doing a jump mount is easier than a standard free mount. It’s more intimidating, but it’s actually a simpler motion. The problem with this mount is my feet are often poorly positioned once started.

On a smallish unicycle (20 - 26 inch) either method can be made to work, but it is generally easier to do it with the low pedal near to the body.

With the low pedal at 5 o’clock, the higher pedal IS actually closer to my body, but as I place my left foot on the low pedal, I push off with my right foot. As the wheel rolls forward and the right pedal hits 2 o’clock, I hop on. This gives me a little more momentum as I mount the Coker. I know it’s sounds backwards, but it works well for me.
When mounting the 28’r or the 24x3 MUni, I start with the low pedal at 7 and the high pedal at 2.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:42:03 -0600, Krashin’Kenny wrote:

>I start with the low pedal
>at 7 and the high pedal at 2.

Check your hub and cranks Kenny! :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Heck, even my toes were aching from trying to grip the soles of my shoes! - Tommy Thompson”

I like to mount my unicycle with the pedals at 6 and 9 o’clock.

Thx and New questions.

Well, I did last night and it was a bif help. I still have the ‘stall’ problem, but not as bad. I could freemount last night about every tenth time. Progress, but I was nowhere near pleased.

Question:

• any types on turning. Even thinking about turning sometimes makes me fall.

Newtouni

Come on! Your free mounting the stupid way! Get your knee surgically altered so it bends the other way. I guarantee it will make it easier for you to get the first push on that pedal.

Re: Thx and New questions.

quite a while ago a wit posting on these forums suggested that to learn how to turn, u ride at full speed, straight at a wall and make sure u DONT hit it
then repeat what u did to avoid the wall just without the wall and u’ll be able to turn
:slight_smile:

i can’t recall the name of the originator of the idea, or the original wording, but u get the drift

i learnt how to turn by looking in the direction i want to turn to, twisting my upper body ever so slightly in that direction and then, when the ‘inside’ pedal comes over for it’s down stroke, push that pedal just a lil’ harder than usual
turning is very difficult to explain and becomes blink-of-an-eye natural to do in a very short space of time

this was quite a fun thread

some

turning

threads

enjoy
:slight_smile:

Re: Re: Freemount Help

How 'bout 7 and 1 ??? :wink:

Try starting on a down hill grade; it helps you with that initial forward movement. You’re just not “committing” enough - ie, falling forward. It’s a natural reaction, I mean, who intentionally aims his face at the pavement? But it’ll come.

newtouni <newtouni@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> Question:
> - any types on turning. Even thinking about turning sometimes makes me
> fall.

Lean into the turn. A little goes a long way.

Ken