FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

I did try installing it on RedHat. It was RedHat 7.2, which
unfortunately has versions of many things too old for APT. (How modern
can I get? It was the latest version when I set it up, less than two
years ago!!)

Mike King wrote:

>
>
> Shena Delian O’Brien wrote:
>
>>
>> Well if you cannot install APT, what can you do? :wink:
>
>
> There is absolutely no problem installing APT on a modern Redhat
> installation. (which Rodney should have when he gets a new server).
>
> Cobalts, on the other hand… :-p
>
> -Mike K.
>

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 04:00 pm, Mike King wrote:

>
>
> Lisa wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:47:53 -0700, Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>>
>>[color=darkred]
>>>Which would make a better server os?
>>
>>
>> I would stay the HELL away from Red Hat (and I do!). RPMs need an
>> overhaul to intelligently fetch dependencies and install them.
>
>
> It’s all about APT, man :-)[/color]

Or URMPI man :wink:


John R. Marshall

The Hotrodding Network is Back!

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

I was in a chat with them today and the only thing that worried me was that
they’ve only been around for about a year and a half (although they were
founded by the guy that founded rackspace)


Rodney Blackwell - http://www.5r5.net

“I’m the latest craze” - Macy Gray

“John R. Marshall” <hotrodder@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:bi0qkk$e9b$1@www.darklock.com
> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 12:10 pm, Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>
> > “John R. Marshall” <hotrodder@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > news:bhvcg7$rt6$2@www.darklock.com…[color=darkred]
> >> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 02:27 am, Rodney Blackwell wrote:
> >>
> >> > Where’s a good place to buy a server?
> >> >
> >> > For the bandwidth I need, it looks like colocation might be cheaper.
> >>
> >> Yikes! how much bandwidth do you use a month??
> >
> >
> > Actually more than I thought. Colocation is going to be more expensive
> > than I thought.
> >
> > I thought I was around 10-15 GB a month, but it’s more like 45-60 GB a
> > month.
>
> You dont need colocation. you can rent a servre at serverbeach.com that[/color]
will
> give yuo 900 GB a month. far more than you need :wink:
>
> Oh can you tell I like serverbeach? :wink:
>
> –
> John R. Marshall
>
> The Hotrodding Network is Back!
> http://www.hotrodding.net

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 04:26 pm, Rodney Blackwell wrote:

> I was in a chat with them today and the only thing that worried me was
> that they’ve only been around for about a year and a half (although they
> were founded by the guy that founded rackspace)

Thats one of the reasons I like them, That and I got a good impression from
their forum. you can also try rackshack.com, one of the older whitebox
discount servers places (Hotrodding.net is on a server that hosted there).
you still get 450 GB a month.


John R. Marshall

The Hotrodding Network is Back!

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

Shena Delian O’Brien wrote:
> I did try installing it on RedHat. It was RedHat 7.2,

I said “modern Redhat” :wink:

> (How modern can I get? It was the latest version when I set it up, less than two
> years ago!!)

Exactly! TWO YEARS AGO :slight_smile: APT was in it’s infancy then.

-Mike K.

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

“John R. Marshall” <hotrodder@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:bi0rgp$e9b$5@www.darklock.com
> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 04:26 pm, Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>
> > I was in a chat with them today and the only thing that worried me was
> > that they’ve only been around for about a year and a half (although they
> > were founded by the guy that founded rackspace)
>
> Thats one of the reasons I like them, That and I got a good impression
from
> their forum. you can also try rackshack.com, one of the older whitebox
> discount servers places (Hotrodding.net is on a server that hosted there).
> you still get 450 GB a month.

looks like serverbeach still has some affiliation with rackspace. I got a
ehg-rackspace.hitbox.com loading message when I was checking out the site
again just now.

why do you like debian over redhat?


Rodney

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 05:57 pm, Rodney Blackwell wrote:

> why do you like debian over redhat?

A few reasons.

First the free redhat network (updates, and a cool monitoring program that
will auto update any security patches) only allows one server.

Redhat drops support/updates for older distros pretty quick (I think it’s 6
months after a new release. Don’t quote me on this.)

apt works on redhat, but every time you use it you have to update redhats
up2date program so it knows about the update, a small pain in the butt.

The stock loads of readhat installs everything and the kitchen sink, the
debian install basically just has ssh and webmin. You apt-get everything
else you want installed. I think this is an advantage as you wont have some
service running you didn’t know about, and you can skip installing
development stuff, so an attacker can’t compile up root kit. I don’t see a
need for gcc if you install everything from packages anyway.

Debian stable is just what it says, but I’d probably apt-get it to unstable
(it is still stable but with more up to date programs about the equivalent
to a modern redhat/mandrake).

Updates, and software installs are a cinch with apt-get.


John R. Marshall

The Hotrodding Network is Back!

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:51:45 -0700, Rodney Blackwell wrote:

> “Lisa” <lisa@thedoh.com> wrote in message
> news:pan.2003.08.20.20.48.00.751575@thedoh.com
>> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:47:53 -0700, Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>>[color=darkred]
>> > Which would make a better server os?
>>
>> I would stay the HELL away from Red Hat (and I do!). RPMs need an
>> overhaul to intelligently fetch dependencies and install them.
>>
>> But you’re in luck. You can install Gentoo over-top of Red Hat
>> (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=28559 or
>> http://tinyurl.com/kneo).
>
>
> you’re somewhat of a gentoo zealot aren’t you :)[/color]

haha. I’m allowed to be. :wink: I’m in charge of Distcc, Anjuta, and
memcached for Gentoo. I also kind of got volunteered to redesign the
website. (That’ll be fun. shivver)

-Lisa

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:00:07 -0400, Mike King wrote:

> It’s all about APT, man :slight_smile:
>
> -Mike K.

Pffft. Portage is far superior to apt.

-Lisa

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 08:30 pm, Lisa wrote:

>> you’re somewhat of a gentoo zealot aren’t you :slight_smile:
>
> haha. I’m allowed to be. :wink: I’m in charge of Distcc, Anjuta, and
> memcached for Gentoo. I also kind of got volunteered to redesign the
> website. (That’ll be fun. shivver)

The problem with gentoo is it’s pretty much imposable to use for dial up
users.


John R. Marshall

The Hotrodding Network is Back!

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:50:02 -0500, John R. Marshall wrote:

> The problem with gentoo is it’s pretty much imposable to use for dial up
> users.

You can download the source before you compile it. Especially handy for
bootstrap and emerge system.

/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh -f
emerge -f system

Its worse than downloading a bunch of RPMs… Besides, with the recent
‘GRP’ thing there are precompiled binaries on CD-2. (emerge -k)

-Lisa

Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat Linux

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 08:47 pm, Rodney Blackwell wrote:

> Which would make a better server os?
>

BTW

a pretty good forum if your running a hosting biz
http://www.webhostingtalk.com


John R. Marshall

The Hotrodding Network is Back!