Free mount...

I learned this way too, because there was no one around to tell me any different.
When I eventually met other unicyclists at BUC they were surprised to say the least that I mount this way.
They did try to teach me the proper way, with the pedals at a more vertical postition, but I’m afraid I have lapsed back to my old ways (sorry Norry).

That sounds like a rolling mount, Just walking onto the pedals and let your momentum carry you forward. Its a very smooth mount, and I do it the most, because ill walk a few step and just step on.

Besides that, I do a lot of static mounts too, so I mount right into my hopping position, which is good for trials, when you are starting on a rock or a skinny, or if I need to mount on a certain line/point so my pedals are in the right position for whatever I am about to do, like a gap or something.

Just don’t quit. Once I could actually ride, I thought freemounting would be no big deal. Ha. Trying to figure out how to do it felt a bit like starting over again, and felt mildly embarassing (I imagined all my neighbours thinking "geez - she STILL can’t ride that thing?)

The first time I successfully freemounted, it was on a day when I had maybe a hundred failed attempts. Then I managed 2 freemounts in a hundred attempts. Then 5. And so on. Once I could do it about 10% of the time, I forced myself to go for longer rides, and wouldn’t let myself walk it home - I HAD to freemount! There were times I wondered if I would make it home :).Now, I can freemount almost 100% of the time.

If only I could idle … sigh.

Wow! A little off topic here but somebody musta actually used the search function. Up until yesterday the last post on this thread was from over two months ago. Good job.

Now, whatever happened to Rider_04 who started this thread and still only shows 1 post? Rider_04, where are you? Were we mean to you? Did we scare you off? Don’t you like us? We are the friendliest forum on the web, don’t ya know?