Foss Tubes

I you are annoyed by the adjustment, you can put some electrical tape around it (either directly or by removing it and reinserting it with the tape).

I used this trick on a regular tube on one uni just to be able to put the pump in place without the valve disappearing in the rim.

It finally happened to me

Was on my 36er, riding with Pierrox on his G24, we were about to finish our ride after 18km when I realize my tire has much rebound when I’m mounting and hopping (that’s my freemount technique), so I check the pressure with my digital manometer and it was down to 10 PSI (from 45 PSI).
Few minutes later it was completely flat so I guess it was a puncture, or maybe it’s because I hit to fast a half curb a little before.

Anyway, I’m too lazy to dismount the wheel to see what really happened.

Luckily we were at about 50 meters from my car when it happened.

Those are Presta to Schrader converters so they are not big enough.

Also UDC Germany doesn’t sell them and I am, allegedly, the first person ever to request something like this. They have converted many 36" unis to foss tubes (apparently some people don’t install them themselves?!) and this has supposedly never been a problem.

A week later I rode in the rain and a big puddle turned out to be so deep that the valve got submerged and I could hear the water slosh around inside the rim for the rest of the ride.

So like any engineer would, I decided to fix it with duct tape.
Imgur
Imgur

That’s a great fix!

I’ve been running Foss tubes in my 36’ers since 2011 without any problems, but now two tubes has failed whitin a couple of weeks. Both times there were a tiny hole next to the valve stem. My theory is that this has happended because I’ve repeatedly pushed the pumps valve cap to hard onto the valve in order to attach it properly.

Interesting. Also possible that their “rubber” has dried and finally the tube is cracking. Are they both about the same age?

Both tubes were the non transparant type. Not sure about the first one, but the second one was brand new.

The valve is always somewhat more fragile place, but with Foss (and alike) tubes it’s extra.
When putting caps then don’t twist them too much, best hold the stem.

For the moment I went back to normal tubes, but still wish to have 20" latex innertubes.
But nobody wants to produce, not even when they can, or when you pay ridiculous prices for large batches.
There is a few who make 26" but adjusting (glue’ing those) is not a great option I think.