For Sale: Echo 158mm Cotterless cranks

I have a pair of Echo Mod Trials bike cranks that are no longer usable on a bike. They would be ideal for a unicycle though. They are 158mm long, square taper, 9/16’’ pedal threads. They are solid aluminum, making them very beefy and very light. They are probably comparable in strength to the Koxx ISIS cranks, only square taper.

They were made for compact drive on a bike, meaning a freewheel would thread onto a steel insert which would thread onto the crank for a front freewheel setup. Well I had to remove the freewheel so I dremeled off the steel insert, meaning a freewheel can no longer be used. But they are perfectly fine for a unicycle.

Attached is a picture of the cranks so you can get an idea of what they are, but actual pics are available on request. The right crank is a little dinged up on the bottom, but it doesn’t affect performance because of the amount of material that makes up the cranks.

The cranks weigh (actual weight on my scale):

Left: 254.5g
Right: 226.3g
Total: 480.8g or about 17 ounces

These are high quality cranks. They originally sold for $129. Asking $40 plus shipping ($5 to US). North America only please.

hmmmmm… maybe… i’ll for sure think about it

how much
?

Filler

Anyone with questions regarding these cranks (I understand many people will not have seen them and perhaps be skeptical about their weight, strength and quality), feel free to ask here or through a PM.

What kind of scale did you use to weigh them, I wonder? WHat else do you weigh on it?:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Haha for dietic purposes only.

Why does the left weigh so much more than the right??

just womdering if you’ve used a set yourself because square tapered tend to forge the metal in the square part and wear’s down the corners so it seems like the crank is bent. thanks

The right is the driveside. It would have had a piece of steel and a freewheel on it originally. Material had to be removed to make room and also to make threads. Basically the left has a nice curved taper on the inside of the crank (toward the center of the axle) while the back half of the right crank has material removed and threads. Both cranks have a circle of material about 1/2’’ wide completely around the axle tapers. The left crank has a gradual taper down from this circle to the edge of the crank, while the right crank has a straight drop off from the edge of this circle to a point directly “below” it with threads around the sides of the circle. The cranks were mass produced in this fashion for trials biking and I don’t know of any failures because of there being slightly less material around the axle of the right crank. The 1/2’’ of material is more than you get on most cranks anyways. When I removed the freewheel I didn’t even touch the crank with the dremel so there is no damage to the threads.

I will post a pic tonight to show you exactly what I am describing. I did use the cranks (which is reflected in the price) and the right is a little mashed up on the bottom, but very little if any material is removed. The square tapers appear to be in very good shape.

they seem like very good cranks but i think i’m just going to bite the bullet and be safe and go with K1 ISIS hub and cranks… sorry about the hastle

I would love a set of those. PM me and we can ste things up. Thanks